Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition Switch?...

My 944 just developed another electrical gremlin =(
Shortly after I bought it, there were a few times I started the car, and had no instruments. The instrument lights would work, just none of the instruments would work. Usually shutting the car off and restarting it would work. However, before I got around to troubleshooting the problem, it went away. This was last May.
Well, yesterday my instruments went out again. Been out for over a day. Tried tapping relays, wiggling wires, everything I can think of. However, it's not just the instruments. The sunroof is also non-operational, and the power locks don't work correctly (when you use the button, they only unlock).

Now, ever since I bought the car, the ignition switch had no 'notches' in it, it would just turn smoothly all the way to start. Also, the radio didn't work in the accessory position, you had to turn it to 'on', then back a hair to make it work, the sunroof would only work in the 'on' position, and a few other little things.

So, my guess is it's the ignition switch. I can almost rationalize it being the problem, but am looking for confirmation before I sink $60-$70 into a new switch.

Also, the only idiot light that works on the instrument cluster is the low voltage light, all the others are out. Even the parking brake light.

I checked all the fuses, they're all good.

Anybody think it's not the ignition switch?... Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its probably the electrical part of the ignition switch unless someone got inside the mechanicals of the switch before. I have to replace my switch because some A$$ broke mine trying to steal one of my cars last week after he broke in my car. The car has a bad tranny so the dumba$$ couldn't drive it away anyways. The electrical part of the switch is around $30 if that is the problem with yours.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch?...