Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Iceshark: semi OT lighting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Iceshark: semi OT lighting question

I remember you saying something about the proportion of voltage and lighting increase. On my 4-wheeler, I've got a pair of cheap APC foglights on it. It doesn't use a battery only the mag for voltage. Would it be better to use both lights or just one? Would one getting more voltage be brighter than both at the same time? It doesn't have a lot of current as the charging sysytem is rather weak. TIA
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 12-02-2004, 01:27 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To figure this out all you have to do is take a voltage measurement at the bulbs when they are burning. Then if you know what sort of bulbs you are using the total light output can be figured out. There will be a tipping point somewhere along the line as you drop voltage that it would be better to just go with one light.

You might also want to think about getting a new len(s) as if you can't put the light you are getting out in the right place you are just wasting it. That is the most common shortcoming of cheap lenses. A light with a fog type beam probably would be the best for an ATV as opposed to a driving type light as you will not be going very fast at night and just need to see everything up close so you can stop/avoid in time. Like a string of barb wire stapled to trees to keep cows from wandering.

If you don't have much current being kicked out by your mag you may very well be correct that going to a single light would be better.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:20 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

thanks dan, I'mn also thinking about adding a small battery if I can find space for 0ne. someone on the blaster boards also said something about rewinding the stator, I guess adding more to it it?

Quick Reply: Paging Iceshark: semi OT lighting question