Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ITS COLD!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Roral
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ITS COLD!!! HELP

I am just wondering if any one can tell me if heater valve is open or closed when the heater is on. I have checked my vacumn and it sucks. But I still freeze my @$$ off day in and out I don't know what to do i've pulled the vac. hoses from the solinoids or whatever they are on the heater unit. When I pull the hoses they do make a sucking sound, so I'm pretty confident it's the valve.. but i would like to know if the valve should be opened or closed.. if it's open then I know the valve is the issue and might have a leak there. If it's closed then I think there would be something wrong with climate control unit.

If i'm being too vaige please let me know. Thanks guys

Steve
Old 11-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Failure mode should be full heat. So no vacuum should open the heater valve. Have you bled your cooling system? If there is air in the system it can prevent you from getting heat, especially while the car is sitting still.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Roral
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I pulled the vac. hose from the valve checked the two hoses to the heater core and both are hot. So I am assuming now there is hot going through there. But still no heat :S not sure I've looked in the Porsche shop manuals and i'm kinda lost now.. hot air should be coming out but nothing. I'll take the hammer to it tomorrow see if that does the job. if at first you don't succeed apply more ignorance and brute force

Steve
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the opposite problem.. its hot as hell and my heater wont go off.. wanna trade cars?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:35 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

check the linkage to the blend air door. under the dash, about where your right knee is, there is an electric motor that opens and closes the door that regulates the temp. of the air coming into the car. The motor may be stuck in the full cold position. If it is, you can disconnect the linkage to the motor and let it fall, when the rod is at the bottom, that is full hot. That will at least get you heat in the car.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Roral
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up on that linkage, I can totally recall an issue of excellence that mentions it now that you have mentioned it. I'll check that today.

Vette4lyfe, When was the last time your belts were done might have a deal on your hands haha

Steve
Old 11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roral
I am just wondering if any one can tell me if heater valve is open or closed when the heater is on. I have checked my vacumn and it sucks. But I still freeze my @$$ off day in and out I don't know what to do i've pulled the vac. hoses from the solinoids or whatever they are on the heater unit. When I pull the hoses they do make a sucking sound, so I'm pretty confident it's the valve.. but i would like to know if the valve should be opened or closed.. if it's open then I know the valve is the issue and might have a leak there. If it's closed then I think there would be something wrong with climate control unit.

If i'm being too vaige please let me know. Thanks guys

Steve

You're in BC and you're complaining of the cold? Wanna come over to french-occupied canada for a spell? (ooooops, there I go again, showing my anti fascist leanings....). But seriously, I know this sounds stupid, but after yo take a look at the linkage, look to see 1) if the motor is working (I know, it sounds stupid, but you didn't specify) and 2) check your thermostat. It might not realize you want it hot in there with you. I can also fax you the page(s) from the shop manual, if it would help.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Roral
Instructor

Ya its actually not cold at all.. just above Odegrees. But when the windows are fogged and you need to blow air on them, I want hot air rather then cold.

Today durring my lunch break I went out to the car and pulled some white linkage and disconnected something and all is good now.. ... until Sping comes oh well i'll worry about that when it comes.

Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 AM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll remind you come spring... Yeah, I would want my heater to work in a place called "Chilliwack"
Old 11-30-2004, 06:04 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I had a prob with intermittant heat sometimes it would roast me other times I froze. Turned out that the vacuum line had come of the accumulator cylinder behind the battery. Now it works great.

Quick Reply: ITS COLD!!! HELP