Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear speakers?

I think the P.O. disconnected the stock rear speakers in my 951 as it came with a pair of Kenwood 6"x9"s in the rear hatch area. I didn't particularly like the installation job he did (the rear deck carpet "wings" are kinda torn up from it) so I removed them and am in the process of repairing the rear carpet where the speakers mount up (plywood substrate under the "wings") for when I want to use 'em and also getting a new rear deck carpet with no holes in it for when I don't. I'm wondering what's involved in removing the rear seat side panels that house the stock rear speakers so I can check 'em and if necessary re-connect the wiring to them.

I'm thinking I can just slave the stock rear speakers to the wiring to the Kenwood speakers so when I run with them installed, it's kind of like a 6-speaker system just with two channels instead of three; when I remove the 6x9-equipped rear carpet and put the "stock" one in there (like if I'm hauling stuff and don't want the speakers getting destroyed) I'll have the stock speakers by the rear seats running as my rears.

Anyway, how do I get at those rear speakers (the stock ones)?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

They are pretty difficult to get the panels back in place. First you have to remove all of the hardware going through the panel, screws and rear seat mount. Then you have to pull up the edges from around the window and door frame. It should be free after that. What is hard it installing the panel again. I did this a year ago and still do not have the edges in place like they should be. I need to sit in the back seat for a while and try to work the panel material around the window seal. Then take some glue or something to keep the piece between the hatch and "mid-window"(?) in place.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

putting it back in for me really wasn't that hard. it was tricky but it didn't take that much time at all. just make sure you have a steady hand and lots of patience to work that seal back under. other than that good luck!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try these threads/links --

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=2&pp=15

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=107&c=4

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/165672-rear-speaker-question-945-a.html
Old 11-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent write-up; I'm suprised I've never seen that Paragon one before, but thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like those Blaupunkts might be the way to go. . . The only other problem I have is if I get a great sounding stereo in the car I'll miss out on hearing all those little "tell-tale" sounds that a 20-year-old car can make to point you out to something being about to fail. . . Then again, I suppose I don't have to drive around with blasting away ALL the time - or do I?

Ahhhh. . . These cars make me feel like I'm 17 again. . .

Well, the car's 17, so maybe that's something.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 PM
hazlgreen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta love the chance to 'grow up' again, eh?

Quick Reply: Rear speakers?