Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XP: Living in Indianapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 PM
DennisR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saying the Eastside is the bad part of town is painting the picture with a very broad brush. While the E-Side has it's share of undesirable neighborhoods (as does every other area), there are some very influential and desireable addresses there too. Irvington is one if the oldest parts of town and sports many Victorian mansions. Woodruff place is one of the area's artistic communities second only to the Broad Ripple and Herron/Morton artistic districts. This is a city on the move with many different cultural, ethnic, and social entertainment oppportunities. It has a lot to offer no matter what your interests are, be it professional or amateur sports, art, music, or of course Auto Racing in all of it's many forms. The few bad areas are quickly being turned around for the most part. Hope you enjoy the city and Good luck wherever you decide to settle.
BTW...Bob Farmer is not only the best Porsche mechanic in the area. He's also the most reasonable and helpful person you'll ever find. He did my complete clutch, engine seals and all belts (including timing) for just over $1,700.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:38 PM
dmfclf82
Instructor

Hamilton County is the north side of Indy (Fishers,Carmel,Noblesville) Most Rent in that area will range from $800 to $2200. With a good selection of Nice apts w/ garages and rental homes in the $1000 to $1500/month range.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Dennis,
I was really impressed with the city when there for a conference this summer. That's one reason why I'm pretty excited about this job.
$1700 for all that! Damn reasonable. Almost worth the move by itself....

dmf,
I'm concentrating my search in that area and am finding quite a few attractive properties. There seems to be some nice stuff in Lawrence as well.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
dmfclf82
Instructor

I have lived here most all of my life and have seen many changes. The north side especially. Many new housing additions, retaurants, shopping etc. It truly is a great place to live and raise a family. If you have kids you will definately want to stay in Hamilton County. Suburban schools are some of the best. There also is alot of recreation Geist resevoir and Morse resevoir if you like boating.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:59 AM
DennisR
Advanced

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is Wanamaker. A little burg that's growing in leaps and bounds recently. Close to interstates I 74, I 70 and I 465. A few minutes from any part of Indianapolis. Especially close to Lawrence (zip up Post Rd. about 10 minutes away.). The high school there (Franklin township) just built a 4 million dollar football stadium complete with suites, etc. My son just bought a new home in one of the many additions going up there. Like anywhere else in Indy, the tax rates reflect the many amenities that said taxes support though. With the Colts demanding (and getting) a new stadium and the Pacers (Yes, even minus Artest, Jackson, and O'neal) recently getting the new Conseco fieldhouse, the city is swimming in red ink. You'll have to decide if you think it's worth it.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Technically, 465 and 70 cross TWICE, don't they? I wasn't sure which area you meant. I lived in Terre Haute for 9 years and made frequent trips to Indy for fun. The lack of emissions testing was AWESOME! There are two good road courses close by, Putnam Park is a wide open track out west 25 miles, and IRP in the NW burbs has a road course that snakes thru the drag strip. PCA will have events at both thru the year. Before I knew about Bob Farmer, I would see classified ads in the Porsche section bragging "farmer maintained" and I'd think WTF? Who wants a P-car that a FARMER has maintained?!? After the second or third one I figured it out.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Dennis,
Thanks for the heads-up about Wanamaker. I'll look into it.

DanP,
I'm looking mostly east side outside 465. I'm looking forward to the PCA activities. From where I am now it's 4 hours to VIR......
Old 11-25-2004, 12:21 PM
DennisR
Advanced

I 70 is an East-West Highway. I 465 circles Indy, so yes it crosses twice. I 65 goes North (toward Chicago) and South (Louisville). I 74 is also E/W with I 69 going N/S. All are accesible via I 465. They call Indy the crossroads of America. US 40 runs East and West through the whole US and divides Indy N/S while Meridian St.(US 431) is the E/W divider. Pretty simple once you get used to the city.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

IRPs road course isn't what it used to be... they don't care for it like they used to. Last club race, one whole section of the track was yellow for the whole race due to course conditions... Putnam Park is awesome though!!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:40 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Daniel-

My realtor doesn't deal much in rentals.

Really, the best way to find a rental home in Indy is to drive around a neighborhood for a day and look for houses. Certain areas have tons of rentals like Broad Ripple (lots of 20s-30s yr olds). You can also find rentals in the Indianapolis Star. I could certainly point you in the right direction when you come here. Let me know what help you need.

Max

Quick Reply: XP: Living in Indianapolis?