Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeezing the power out of a NA Motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

earlier it was said about the tri-y header. factory or tubular...more for torque. in my mustang cataolgs, they were testing all types of different headers on a 4.6 ford(which has little room for tubes) and the best numbers came from an unequal length shorty header. both for torque and h.p. so maybe if someone welds, they can throw together some junk tubes and dyno a shorty header to see the effects of that.....maybe 10-15 horses? what about starting with an s engine? or converting to an s head? are there any other engines that have the same bore spacing and stuff as the 944 2.5? arent the 928 engines the same? that should solve that problem. some 2.3 ford guys swith to and highly modify a volvo head thats a 4 valver that has the same spacing to put on their turbo fords. but thats the same thing like i said about looking to other makes like the chevy pistons everyone is referring to.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

it really does semm that im the thread killer.....when i post, the thread ends!!!! im sorry to be the grim reaper around here.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

http://msvorinich.itgo.com/October_23.html here is kind of what i was talking about. i knoe this isnt a 944 engine, and i think itll be harder to find a cylinder head as long as the 944's for cheap that isnt a 6 cyl. i will try to find the link that actually has the write up on converting/machining/welding this head for the ford 2.3 just for inspiration.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danno, that's my point. Again, not trying to **** on anyone's parade, I just say why not give yourself the advantage from the get go. You say pushing the envelope further and further with no real fixed goal is your trip. Cool, man. But like Danno said, that envelope is gonna stretch a HELL of a lot further with 16 valve head and such. You missed my point again, too. Dropping WEIGHT (I said IF you did susupension properly it would be a demon) is the same as adding more power. Then, your little tweaks and changes will have a greater impact.

Again, not trying to discourage you. Hell, if you need to do it just to spite us nay-sayers then cool! Just think the 8v motors were a little behind the 8 ball when it comes to deep breathing monsters. Rotsa ruck, homes...
Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not always about HP, but what you do with the HP that you have..........

IMHO, of course. I may not know much about this subject.........
Old 12-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by TaylorSea4
Danno, that's my point. Again, not trying to **** on anyone's parade, I just say why not give yourself the advantage from the get go. You say pushing the envelope further and further with no real fixed goal is your trip. Cool, man. But like Danno said, that envelope is gonna stretch a HELL of a lot further with 16 valve head and such. You missed my point again, too. Dropping WEIGHT (I said IF you did susupension properly it would be a demon) is the same as adding more power. Then, your little tweaks and changes will have a greater impact.

Again, not trying to discourage you. Hell, if you need to do it just to spite us nay-sayers then cool! Just think the 8v motors were a little behind the 8 ball when it comes to deep breathing monsters. Rotsa ruck, homes...
Personally, if I were going to try to develop a NA 944 engine it would be the 8v engine. They are by far in the majority. Yes, I would expect more power from the 16v, and while I love twin cam engines, I'd be more interested in developing the most common engine. I think over 200 bhp should be an issue with the right parts and a well executed plan.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:14 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

Default Update

Things have been very busy here at the shop of late, so I’ve not been able to browse and post as I would like. I have not given up, nor will I.
I have a running 8v motor on its way to Atlanta for me. (Not eating for a month will suck, but hey, What’s money for, right?) Hopefully the clutch I ordered a month ago will be here soon so I can make sure the car doesn’t have any new bugs in it. I’ll probably get to do some head and intake work before we really hit the crunch time to get our next car,14, ready to burn up the track in Detroit. It will likely be summer before I can really tear this thing apart and find out what can be done with it. I’m particularly interested to see just how much can be done to stretch the Motronic before I have to go to a fully programmable ECU.
I’ll try to keep you guys posted as I make progress.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a guy over on PCN's forum claiming he can up the power on a NA by 30HP/40Nm for ~$1000.-.
Just headwork. He says he has found a flaw in Porsche's design.
Hmmm....
Old 12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
There's a guy over on PCN's forum claiming he can up the power on a NA by 30HP/40Nm for ~$1000.-.
Hmmm....
The gods from Stuttgart can make a mistake??

Actually I've heard that one of the heads flows significantly better than the others, but I don't know which one it is at the moment (but I have an idea).
Old 12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I’m particularly interested to see just how much can be done to stretch the Motronic before I have to go to a fully programmable ECU."

You can use the stock Motronic with any and all upgrades. I'm looking into getting Geo hooked up with some tuning-software to re-map the chips in the Motronic. While it won't be programmable on the road, it'll at least allow him to optimise fuel and ignition for the mods and fuel that he's using for maximum power.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
Hmmm....
There a guy at MoterWerksRacing that has an N/A with headwork and exhaust putting 180 at the wheels.
just goes to show you.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:21 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Campeck
There a guy at MoterWerksRacing that has an N/A with headwork and exhaust putting 180 at the wheels.
just goes to show you.
Photographic Evidence: Exhibit A
Old 12-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hrsteel
I’ll probably get to do some head and intake work before we really hit the crunch time to get our next car,14, ready to burn up the track in Detroit.
What kind of track? Are you talking about a drag strip or a real track?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:14 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peckster
What kind of track? Are you talking about a drag strip or a real track?
14 is the next GT F-SAE car. It runs a 100m drag, figure 8 skid-pad, autocross and enudrance events, all against the clock. My 944 wil spend most of it's life on the GA DOT tracks.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So how is the research/project coming along?

Quick Reply: Squeezing the power out of a NA Motor.