Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail.... thing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004 | 09:27 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

not yet mounted, but the head is! the injectors are in the mail to RC Engineering to get cleaned, balanced, and blue printred. The car is coming back together finally, I can't wait!
~Eyal
Old 11-23-2004 | 09:54 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

how do they "blue print" them? and what exactly do they do to balance them? i ask out of ignorance, since i have no idea how these things are done after the injectors are assembled. i designed and built (not entirely on my own of course) injectors for 2 years and pretty much once they leave the assembly line, there isn't much you can do to them without breaking them.

assuming they are of the same batch, flow rates (both static and dynamic) have to be withing 1.5% (typically) of each other to pass inspection.
Old 11-23-2004 | 10:13 PM
cambria
Racer

Eyal, even thow you don't need the sealing ball doesn't mean you should not find it. The ball may be some where where it shouldn't.
Old 11-23-2004 | 10:33 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Eyal- it's over. Part it out. I'll take the drive train.
Old 11-23-2004 | 10:35 PM
84black944
Racer

Like in the belts? That would be bad
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:40 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 84black944
Like in the belts? That would be bad
Belts are off the car, all pullies and rollers are coming off tomorrow, turbo is plugged with paper towels... the head I just put on is not pluged, but ALL valves are closed, I'll check, but i know it cleared that area, it fell circa the turbo area. could have gone al the way thruough, cause the big nut fell too, and maybe that noise covered up the bearing. if it did go through, its definetly gone, my driveway is slanted, and i live on a hill...

RE: Injector question -
Originally Posted by RC Engineering website
Standard Services

The purpose of cleaning and flow-testing is to 1) remove any contaminants inside or outside the injector that impede fuel flow or degrade fuel spray pattern 2) to accurately measure each injector's fuel flow ability and 3) acquire quantitative data on injector performance the vehicle owner can use in matching injectors or tuning the engine's fuel system.

Any set of fuel injectors will benefit from RC Engineering's clean and flow service, This is even true of new injectors because the individual-injector and system-total fuel flows must be known for performance tuning purposes. It is not uncommon for a set of original equipment (OE) injectors to have an unacceptably wide range of fuel flow and it's possible to even have new injectors that do not function properly. RC's standard testing process identifies those problematic injectors.

The test process is as follows: first, your injectors are installed on RC Engineering's custom- designed-and-built, computer-controlled injector flow-testing equipment. A unique, non-flammable, gasoline-like test fluid is pumped at a precisely-controlled pressure through the injectors while they are pulsed by injector-drivers built into the equipment. The volume of fuel passed through the injector is accurately measured for a set amount of time and from those figures, fuel flow is derived. During the flow- test, the injector spray patterns are visually inspected and analyzed by RC's technicians using both bright room and strobe lights.

After the initial flow-test, your injectors are transferred to an ultrasonic cleaning machine and connected to injector drivers. They are submerged in cleaning solution and pulsed while being subjected to ultrasonic waves. The combination of the solution and the ultrasound aggressively clean the internal and external parts of the injectors.

Finally, the now-clean injectors are reinstalled on the flow-tester and run again. At the conclusion of the test, a printed report is produced. This report lists: fuel flow rates (in pounds-per-hour and cubic centimeters per minute) before and after cleaning, and spray pattern assessments for each injector tested. Also included is the "system balance" number which is the flow difference, expressed in a percentage, between the injectors having the highest and lowest flow rates amongst the lot of injectors tested. The system's total fuel delivery in lbs/hr. and cc/min along with a computation of potential horsepower at three different brake specific fuel consumption rates concludes the report.

The charge for RC Engineering's standard clean-flow-balance service is $24.00 - $28.50 per injector, depending on the type of injector. If overnight shipping is used, the turnaround time is three days.
~Eyal
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:41 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

chris, damn I was afraid of that... 50 bucks?
~Eyal
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:51 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Hood emblem!?
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:54 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

One of the best tools I've gotten for working on the 951 is one of those telescoping magnets. It's gotten me out of many a jam like that. You just have to keep your "eye on the ball" (or whatever else you're dropping that day) so to speak, then use the magnet to go get it.

Now aluminum and other non-magnetic parts annoy me.
Old 11-24-2004 | 04:39 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Strike-Force
Hood emblem!?
hahaha, I better not be in the position to part it anytime in the next 100 years.
~Eyal
Old 11-24-2004 | 09:08 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Eyal-
sounds like they have a descent setup for flow testing and cleaning. i still don't understand how any balancing comes out of that. but, they are correct in saying there could be a unacceptably wide spread for flow rates. however, most injectors are made for OEMs and to keep costs down for both sides, a somewhat wider range than us who desire a little extra power are after. i believe RC engineering probably sells injectors in sets that match a little closer than what most OEMs require. so, if these injectors came from RC, you should be pretty well matched.

good luck finding your marbles!
Old 11-24-2004 | 10:54 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Eyal,
I feel your pain. I dropped one of the large sensor mount bolts last weekend doing the clutch on the 83. Heard it hit and bounce on metal. I looked everywhere and finally decided it fell into the timing mark hole in the bellhousing. Guess who got to pull everything from the TT back to the block? There it was between the block and FW. It was the one time that hole wasn't plugged with a latex glove...I hope you find it or it will drive you crazy I'm sure.
Steve
Old 11-24-2004 | 11:01 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Are they stock injectors? I could see doing that to 55 or 75 pph injectors but I think it's a bit overkill for stockers.
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

You dont have one of the slinky goosenecks with a magnet on the end? How can you NOT have one of those? Go buy one, now. Mine has saved my *** and my time so many times, and it cost only $5. Its a gooseneck with a small LED light and a magnet on the end. So amazingly handy for the price. Ive fished bolts out of weird spots where theyve been for YEARS.

And im fairly sure that little ball bearing is magnetic.
Old 11-24-2004 | 02:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

FIND THAT BALL !!!

Quick Reply: Fuel rail.... thing.