Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought my ring+pinion gears blew up, I was scared (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I thought my ring+pinion gears blew up, I was scared (pics!)

So im minding my own business, doing some post work chores, and im pulling away from a light and finishing a left turn (already moving) when I hear it... <crunch> <rattling> <crunch> and nothing... My first thought is "Oh ****.... Rebuild time" following disturbingly quickly by "Hmm... I wonder what a Guards LSD costs?"

But as I get on the gas again, everythings fine. Shifts fine, revs fine, accelerates fine... So I keep going. Over the next few minutes, I keep hearing it, a metallic ratting... Like little screws in a cement mixer type sound. Pull over to look for anything obvious (something stuck, loose sway bar mount, etc). Nothing. Zip. So I keep driving, starting to come to the conclusion that its maybe some small rocks in the rotor hub, since id spent all weekend driving on snow/salted/sanded roads so the entire car and especially the wheels were covered in mud and sand and small rocks.

Then the wheel locks up, not far from home. Recovers quickly. This starts throwing the rock theory out the window... More rattling on the way home, crunching, and griding.

Get home and pull everything apart to find this...

This this is supposed to be flat... Not folded over itself

And the stucco-ed rims

In the long run, I guess its my fault for driving without the parking brake system completly installed. I got the car with nothing on the right side, and the left side got worn out and misadjusted from trying to do it all, AND during my fiddling with it I bent or broke one or two of the springs for it. So I removed the left side stuff too. I bought all the parts a while back from Jason_86_951 but never got a chance to install them, with my new job, various other problems, etc. There were no problems at all for THOUSANDS of miles... Till all of a sudden today. Oh well... At least this didnt happen at high speed on the weekend...

Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, At first I thought , from the first pictures, that your rotor broke off.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah! That was my thought too. I was going to ask how it came off without the wheel coming off...

So, how much of the E-Brake broke and locked up the wheel?...

It looks fully removed now.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero10
Yeah! That was my thought too. I was going to ask how it came off without the wheel coming off...

So, how much of the E-Brake broke and locked up the wheel?...

It looks fully removed now.
All that was in there was that folded over bit, which is the part that actually pushes the parking brake shoes apart to force them against the rotor hub. The shoes and their springs and the adjusting parts where all removed. It seems that that folded over part came loose and got ripped off the cable, then started wrecking havoc. Theres also a large chunk of aluminum from the lower part of the hub that was in there, it caused a lot of that damage too. It got ripped clean off and bounced around in there with that folded over part.

I just finished cleaning it up a lot, its all mostly smooth now so hopefully there wont be any problems driving... But as the saying goes, only one way to find out

Quick Reply: I thought my ring+pinion gears blew up, I was scared (pics!)