Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why shouldnt I take my car to macco

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:03 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
bottom line is that these are relatively cheap cars (and always will be no matter what the paint job is), so why spend 50% of it's value on paint? Sell the car, add the paint funds to the profit and buy a 944 with a better paint job.

this was my reasoning for a $900 paint job. if we all owned $30K used Porsches, my thinking would be very different.

as car is worth what a person feels ots worth. if you feel your car is only worth 2k.. thats all you buddy.

many here feel there car is priceless to them and wont sell. if you feel your car means alot to you then treat it like its worth alot to you. if you do this.. your car will go up in value, as it will be a well taken care of car. if you treat it like ***.. it will be worth ***.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:55 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

no. its not how much you spend... you could have a friend who does paint work do a top notch job for a fraction of what a pro would charge. its the quality of the work you do or have done.. and its not just paint, its all aspects. the main thing when it comes to paint is prep. and no im not insinuating anything, and im not looking to get into an arguement.

you dont have to spend 5k.. but i cannot justify for any reason at all why someone would pay 200 for a ****ty paint jobn that will look worse than if you didnt repaint at all. thats what im saying.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:01 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

D'oh! I just deleted my post as I didn't want to sound like I was pissed or something.

Anywho, at the time I got the car painted, I simply hadn't found someone who was able/willing to do the job for what I thought was a worthwhile price. Fortunately, I found a place right across the street from my P-mechanic that is fairly reputable, even as a chain shop. I disassembled my car and basically did everything but shoot the paint.

I do agree that the $200 job is a bad idea. However, I also feel that those $200 jobs are the reasons that these chains get such a bad rep, whereas the higher levels can be a wortwhile solution to a car that doesn't need to be perfect.

BB.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the saying "You get what you pay for!" If you do a little shopping you might find some small 1 guys run shop that will do a good job for little money and actually care that it comes out good. Just a thought! Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

ive heard of people stripping and prepping their cars and driving down across the border for a cheep job. its an idea.. but gotta risk getting caught by the customs agents..
Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

It's also one hell of a drive.

BB.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Harry,

Is that across the border in Kentucky or West Virginia?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

no, not a wheeling special, a tijuana special..
Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 84' NA painted by Maaco here two years ago and 40k later it still looks pretty good. The gloss is high due to the base coat/clear coat and some Zaino Bros polish. Durability, is not as good as the more complex paint/prep jobs but I do put a lot miles on my car and drive it in rain, snow and shine. Initially, I got the car back after getting their "Signature Series" top-o-line paint job and I was less than happy. The car had significant orange peel on areas they had not buffed down, large imbedded patriculate, and 5 loooooong hairs in the clear. Also no paint under the side mirrors or F&R bumpers, and the rear bumber underneath had horrible "fish-eyes". I took it back and said it was unacceptable for what they claimed to be a "factory look alike paint job". They stood by their word and repainted the WHOLE car for nothing! I have one hair in it now, very very little particulate if any, no fish-eyes, all areas were painted and the paint laid MUCH flatter and smoother hence improving the gloss which is crucial for MAX depth on a darker car. I bought the $1000 paint job on a half price special and once I had rust spot fixed the front spoiler patched due to a crack, and a couple of dings fixed I had $1,700 in it. Everywhere else wanted $2,600 to $7,000. And Maaco gave me BY FAR the most indepth and thorough inspection for a quote. We were outside for over 45min and all other places would spend less than 5min with the car. I could not justify spending half the cars worth on paint with over 150k. I LOVE my car, and treat her very well, but that is where I had to draw my line. If it was not my daily driver and did have so many miles on it and many more to come I would have reconsidered. The Callaway will be a different story. Also at the time I was looking to sell it. I then kept the car because I "know" the car inside and out, and trust it to go anywhere. I sought out much advise on local paint shops and everywhere I went people said make sure the shop has the best and most advanced (down draft) spray booth and "you get what you pay for". I would go back to Maaco again.

Hope this helps. Take Care!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:12 PM
sharkwing1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks

Quick Reply: why shouldnt I take my car to macco