Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threw in the towel....Dream interupted...FS

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel so bad for you...But Im sorry to say guys, stuff like this is only going to get worse...! Soooo wheres Bush on this type of fraud going on in the country...Oh thats right I forgot hes in Iraq....!

DAmian
Old 11-21-2004, 09:33 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear that Dal. You aren't liable for those transactions though, especially if they are spent away from home. If you were spending money in one place and the other transactions are in another, you obviously didn't spend that money.

If you get emails about things like this, you just need to go straight to the website you know works, NEVER use a link in an email.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

That sucks. I had a real big party in France one night while I was in the USA. Seems some guys auto generated my Credit card number and expiration date. One call to my bank and the money was back in my account the next day.

If you want to pay for something online or setup auto payments online, only use a credit card or credit/debit card. That way they can steal all they want, but Visa/MC will give it back to you. I only use my checking account online with paypal for direct deposits.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:35 PM
unsigned
Racer

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 944
I feel so bad for you...But Im sorry to say guys, stuff like this is only going to get worse...! Soooo wheres Bush on this type of fraud going on in the country...Oh thats right I forgot hes in Iraq....!

DAmian

So how do you propose to fix it? Maybe setup a government agency to monitor all personal email communications for 'fraud'? Maybe create some sort of international anti-crime consortium that can simply find and stop these guys from operating in the middle of the Sahara? Or how about mandating that some nifty cool SMTP extensions be instantly architected and deployed world-wide that verify the sender and recipients of all email? Do you want to pay for any of that? I'm sure the government would be willing to step on freedom if your willing to finance it.

The point is that Bush has nothing to do with this. You cannot legislate science, and we cannot be the world petty-theft police force. What happened to Dal is awful, and should not have happened. Phishing attacks ARE a huge problem, and the only thing that will keep sad stories like this from happening is educated computer users. Speaking of which, Bush ran on a ticket of educating America...

I tell anyone that I've talked to about SPAM that they should never click a link in eMail and input personal info. Go to the source website or make a phone call.

Ryan
Old 11-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Dal,

Don't know what to say other then to get someone to help you go after these bastards. Rennlist is a great resource and alot of good people on here have good advice and are willing to lend a hand. Use that to your advantage and get your savings back.

Best wishes and prayer,
Matt
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Ok after further review.............SS/GOV........withdrawl on overpayment!

Did not hit the bank posting in time as to where the withdrawl came. The acct had a number that made me think MSN had a part in this. As far as the SS/GOV goes they can take your money without notice on overpayments. If you owe them money, like taxes etc, they must notify you. In my case they did not have to before taking the money. This is why it was unknown to me and led me towards the MSN fraud email, which is a fraud but after the bank researched the PIN I gave the email reply was incorrect.

I WAS LUCKY to put down the incorrect PIN or they would have got money. This all happen to occur in a small time frame which led me to beleive the email was the culprit. That and the weekend leaves you out of the mix till Monday as far as info and bank postings.

Still had to close the accts though for safety in the future. A very confusing issue it was!

I cried WOLF but can one blame me!? I was going by the info I had for the moment.

Still would have been nice if the SS/GOV had let me know before I jumped, but heck I think they were hoping I would. Free money for the GOV!!

So now I am still low on funds but atleast it has been figured out is enough to make peace in my mind.

Then to beat all, I go to try and start the car after sitting 2 days and it fires up. And believe me when I say...I went for the ride of my life! Kevin Buckler would have had a hard time keeping up with me!

Boy does the Lord play cruel jokes when he feels!!! He almost had me by the b----s but I hung in there! So to all who replied on this topic......BLESS YOU ALL for your kind support and words of encouragement. I really do not think I could have stayed strong through all I have endured(SP?) without you!!!!

Dal
Old 11-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it all worked out, so you did not lose any money over this?

Congrats, now get goign on your PCA dream!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Chase72
Racer

Dal: YOU had us scared... now do what Devon suggested and get back on the horse and think racing again. And from now on, no confidential info over EMAIL!

Cheers,
Chase
Old 11-22-2004, 05:49 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Devon.....In a sense yes. I was overpaid going back 2.5 years and the Gov't is just now catching it and correcting the overpayment. Money I had earmarked is now depleted so it is back to saving all over again. What was there that was untouched is in another acct for my offset to medical costs (out of pocket) which is more than some earn in a month. I never touch this acct but will have to redirect my budgeting for loosing some of the offset money to daily needs. Then next month I will be ok just a "few dollars less" and the racing fund is at zero and yet to determine how much I can save for that. I can certainly say there will be atleast 5 bucks saved!
I am just blessed/amazed at my ability to budget/save so I have no obsticle there just takes too much time and sacrifice. Not to mention it is no f.....ing fun saving!
Just the 20th something obsticle I have had to jump around. I guess I can handle just about anything thrown my way now!!
Off to find my road map to Sebring
Later...........

edit....to clear things, there a 3 accts all accessible by one number/pw but the Gov't only has access to one. The other 2 I could not determine any loss from till Monday. So at first notice I assumed all 3 were hit and it made the most sense. When one acct goes to zero the second picks up the debit and so on. Not any longer though! Big changes!

Chase.....I hear ya! Have you ever had the best sex you ever had and when done you attempt to stand up and your knees are so weak and trembling, well you get the picture......me X ten!!

Last edited by dgz924s; 11-22-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad things turned out OK.

Hang in there Dal. You'll get the chance.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Chase72
Racer

Dal: start saving, go easy on the email and think SPEED. As for the sex part, sometimes it's better to just pass out and wake up refreshed! ha!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno man. If I was on a fixed income I'd be driving a Honda. But it's your life.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:50 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peckster
I dunno man. If I was on a fixed income I'd be driving a Honda. But it's your life.
And I am to assume your income fluctuates monthly/weekly etc? I would say almost everyone is on a "fixed income" unless on a commission based income.

My life yes and obviously pretty damn good at it! Name one guy here in 3 years or less go from no Porsche to the door step to club racing and I did that in less than 2 seasons of DE. And did it all on a "fixed income" That and I spent 20.00 fixing my car in 2.5 years, a ton on mods tho.

Practicle perhaps not or atleast to you but when the man hands you your number think about what you would like to go out like! I doubt it will be a Honda!
Too bad I can't pass along my desire, determination and disipline to the youth, they maybe able to become something one day.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Dal, great news. Thank God it was not as bad as you first thought. Cudos to you on being disciplined enough to save to live on a fixed income.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:52 PM
mbonner
Racer

For what it's worth, my spamcatcher regularly catches e-mails from "banks" asking me to confirm my password and other confidential "for security purposes" Sometimes they say that if you do not comply you will ahe a 'Problem" with your account. One frequent flier on this was Citibank. I do not have a Citibank account of any kind. A scam, seems to me. I tried to let Citibank know what was going on under their name, the poor response I got was "to not open these messages" But I must say the phony Citibank e-mails sure looked genuine to me, but I metaphorically wipe my botty with them.
And the there is all these millions of dollars messages in bold about some poor ******* who got wiped out in a plane accident with no relatives... used to be Nigeria, now England.....I feel sorry for anyone caught up in a bank scam partiularly, I know I'd load up my 45 auto and go looking for the prat........
Mike

Quick Reply: Threw in the towel....Dream interupted...FS