Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what it looks like when the clutch's rubber center goes (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:03 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what it looks like when the clutch's rubber center goes (pics)

this is what it looks like when the rubber center goes

when it goes, the hub of the clutch (where the torque tube's shaft goes through) is no longer securely connected to the disc. they are only loosely connected by a "limp home" mechanism on the back of the clutch

here you can see the back of the clutch. the red arrow is pointing to a part that is now almost worn away. those teeth on the back grab the part that's worn away - due to the spacing on the disc it allows about 120 degrees of rotation before grabbing so you get alot of shuttering. the force wears down the worn parts, which are only meant as a "get you home" device. when they are worn so that the teeth no longer grab, the engine will just spin the disc but the hub will not turn as there's nothing to turn it (and therefore the tranny won't spin and you won't go anywhere)

Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty good life for an Original part Andrew! looks as tho it had been chunking off for quite a while!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:14 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Pretty good life for an Original part Andrew! looks as tho it had been chunking off for quite a while!
seems so. the disc doesn't seem too chewed up and the flywheel looked to be in fine shape. it's getting resurfaced anyways just to make sure it's perfect. this isn't actually on my car, it's on skoot's '84. i'm helping him out with the clutch job and i just figured i'd post these pics so people could see how the part was engineered.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet you found lots of rubber chunky pieces in the bellhousing when you pulled the starter too.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951M
Bet you found lots of rubber chunky pieces in the bellhousing when you pulled the starter too.
and melted onto the clutch pin, making it a real pain to remove
Old 11-18-2004, 10:31 PM
IMB951
Drifting

that doesn't look like fun
Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TarHeel 944S
that doesn't look like fun
depends on what you call fun. i volunteered to do this job for free with skoot. mostly to help out a fellow member but partially cause i just like to work on cars

i'm...an odd one
Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Sounds a lot like a lot of stuff I get myself into, helping folks out with the cars.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those rubber clutches are getting rarer and rarer. . .

And for good reason!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

That sumbich told us he had the clutch replaced. Damn, my brother got ripped off when he bought that car with 32k miles.

Damn that rubber lasted 20 years.

What is scott doing about the crack in the cat?

That car should be schweeeet for scott once the job is done. You are a good guy andrew.

I have scotts lug nuts for the cookie cutters and the owners manual and some receipts for him. I may be able to drop them off at his house this weekend.

That rubber disk looks a lot like the one on my red S2. The clutch went a week after I bought the car. I thought it was the age of the rubber, maybe it chunked when my wife dumped the clutch at about 4k rpm. And she was a figure skater, so much for coordination.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:02 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom R.
That sumbich told us he had the clutch replaced. Damn, my brother got ripped off when he bought that car with 32k miles.

Damn that rubber lasted 20 years.

What is scott doing about the crack in the cat?

That car should be schweeeet for scott once the job is done. You are a good guy andrew.

I have scotts lug nuts for the cookie cutters and the owners manual and some receipts for him. I may be able to drop them off at his house this weekend.

That rubber disk looks a lot like the one on my red S2. The clutch went a week after I bought the car. I thought it was the age of the rubber, maybe it chunked when my wife dumped the clutch at about 4k rpm. And she was a figure skater, so much for coordination.
i can't say for sure that the clutch hasn't been replaced. i don't exactly have carbon dating equipment the only thing i do know is that if the clutch was replaced, they used another rubber centered one instead of the spring centered one and it has certainly subsequently failed.

scott's having the exhaust fixed by the same guy who's cutting the flywheel for us - a friend of scott's family who's going to do it at his job. free machine work is a beautiful thing

actually, the crack at the end of the cat isn't the only exhaust leak on the car. there's this tube on the na's that goes from a little port just behind the o2 sensor up to right near the cylinder head. the top of the tube is capped off usually, and you can take the cap off to perform emissions inspection of some sort. well his tube was broken off so the port behind the o2 sensor was just spitting out exhaust. i'm probably just going to cap it off and throw away the tube as i can't imagine it being very important. my car doesn't have one so i'm guessing porsche agreed with me on it's importance and deleted it from the later cars
Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
In early august i posted symptoms. the car clunked when you stepped on the clutch, clunked when you let off the gas.

My brother knew he needed a clutch but didnt want toput the $$ intot he car. at the same time scott was looking for a 944. I met him and we looked at a real dog. I told him to look at my brothers just to see what a very clean 944 with 110k should look like.

17" ROH wheels, momo steering wheel & shift ****, no dents, no can opener like holes in the spare tire well like the car we looked at, a seller that pointed out all the flaws. what more coud he want?

The PPI showed real strong compression, the damage was it needed a clutch had a crack in the cat and was missing the 944 label on the back.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Andrew,
Does the clutch have a date stamped on it in white paint? the disk on my S2 had a build date that was a month before the build date of the car.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

tom, the wheels rock! i'm jealous of his because all i have are my mega heavy chrome blingers (that the p.o. put on).
Old 11-19-2004, 12:19 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

well, seems like 12/6/84. since the euros do their dating thing backwards, i'm guessing that means june 12th and not december 6th. if the p.o. did replace the clutch, he sure burnt it out quick!

edit: hey, this is my 951st post. happy turbo post to me!

Quick Reply: what it looks like when the clutch's rubber center goes (pics)