Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Sound from Front Shock

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004 | 09:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Skip
Karl, I don't mean to alarm you, but did you just hit a Martian? Your car is bleeding green!
Haha, yea, that picture is an old one when i first got the car....it had lots of issues
Old 11-19-2004 | 12:05 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Haha, yea, that picture is an old one when i first got the car....it had lots of issues
Like the kumho tires?
Old 11-19-2004 | 12:39 AM
Chase72
Racer

Hey Guys: I wanted to thank you all for helping out a new Rennlister like me. Although I'm no genius with a wrench, I'll definitely take a crack at figuring this out, armed with the knowlege you have shared. Will report back in the next few days when I get a chance to figure it out (work is kicking my keaster these days).

Another question: in removing the Sway bar and attaching the bushing (assuming it's the bushing that's the problem), is there a certain torque I need to match in re-attaching the bolts for the sway bar? And in order to put on the missing/broken bushing, do I just slide off the one on the end first, then slide on the replacement bushing? That simple?

Thanks again... Chase
Old 11-19-2004 | 12:52 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Are you sure it's the bushing right now? Noone mentioned wheel bearing that I noticed. I don't see how the sway bar would "grind" on turns... But it wouldn't be the first time I was oblivious.
Old 11-19-2004 | 12:59 AM
Chase72
Racer

Devon: I have no clue. I am willing to check everything out. It makes a low grinding/rubbing sound when I turn, and muffled rubbing sound when i hit bumps... At first I thought it was the wheel against the wheel well, but nope. Alignment is fine, and I don't notice any leaks, so i was surprised when people told me perhaps there is a leak which is corroding the bushing... But I am just a humble Padawan learner here...
Old 11-19-2004 | 01:14 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Well, the muffled rubbing sound sounds kind of more liek a bushing, but the rubbing sound when turning, unless i"m not picturing it right, reminds me of bearing noise. If you jack the front wheel off the ground (i notice dyou weren't sure if you were going to use a jack, or just a curb somewhere) just try rocking the wheel. If it rocks in all directions, it is most likely wheel bearing. See, if the wheel bearing is worn, on turns, the wheel would tilt a slight amount, and rub the rotor against teh brake pads.
Old 11-19-2004 | 01:20 AM
Chase72
Racer

Devon: Will do! Thanks for the tip... Yes, some rubbing noise while turning at slow speeds (5-10 mph)
Old 11-19-2004 | 01:23 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Chase-

Not sure where in boston you are, but if you want to trek down to Prov, I would be glad to help. Got ramps/tools.

Cheers,
Old 11-19-2004 | 01:35 AM
Chase72
Racer

Rif: thanks much for the offer... I am stuck here for the time being with work/family, but will take you up on the offer once I get my act together. Let me know if you are up in Beantown (I live near Fenway Park).
Old 11-19-2004 | 02:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chase, is the sound relative to tire/speed rotational rate? If so, go with the bearing suggestions. I was interpreting your symptoms as a rubbing/grinding that happens when you turn, but is not constant.

On replacing the bushing; there's really no need to worry about specific torque on those parts. Just get it tight-but-not-too-tight. The bushing clamp needs to spread apart a bit to get the bushing out and the new one in. You'll have to remove at least one side of the sway bar from the drop-link to get the new bushing on. It's best to drop both ends of the sway bar unless you get creative with a jack under one tire/wheel. It's also best to at least replace both centre bushings at once, if not all of the sway bar bushings. Just make sure the cause of the bushing problem is fixed first.
Old 11-19-2004 | 03:37 PM
Chase72
Racer

Skip: I'm not good at describing this problem... sorry... It's a grinding/rub sound at low speeds, and I notice it when I'm turning (like in a parking lot or a slow turn at the intersection). Don't really hear it at faster speeds. Handling hasn't been affected (at least, not that I can tell).

What symptoms would be present if it were the bearings? Would alignment be affected (like pulling to one side)?
Old 11-19-2004 | 03:38 PM
Chase72
Racer

Skip: The rub/thumping also occurs over bumps as well (in addition to turns)
Old 11-19-2004 | 03:41 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I'm still thinking wheel bearing. You may hear a thumping.. althouhg, i woudl expect more of a rattling. Can you feel it through the steering wheel at all? Not necessarily a pulling, but can you feel it through the steering wheel when it thumps?

I would say its either wheel bearins or ball joint.

Wheel bearings are cheaper, but if you have the wheel off and everything, it isn't too difficult to check the ball joint. If you disconnect the ball joint, then by hand, move the arm of the joint around, it should be either real difficult, or not possible. If it flops around pretty easy, chances are the ball joint is shot.

You can tell if its wheel bearings by getting that wheel off teh ground (with the wheel still on) and rock teh wheel horizontally and vertically. if it is bearings it will generally be a fairly small movement, but it will be in all directions. shake it back and forth, if there is any slack, then its most likely bearings. BUT the motion will be ina lld irections if it is bearing.

Ball joint would be side to side I believe, I forget tthe exacts on it> It was hard to tell that my ball joint was bad until I disconnected it and felt it by hand.

Does anything knock, or rattle, if you kick the side of your tire sharply? That can give you some idea if something is lose, and if someone does it while you have your head under the car... You may be able to hear where the noise is coming from at least.
Old 11-19-2004 | 03:48 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chase, in order for it to diagnosed specifically as a wheel bearing, the grinding/rubbing must occur at a rotational rate equal to speed. As in, if you turn and hear a wub-wub-wub or grr-grr-grr that is consistent with speed, then the problem is in fact speed related and is likely a wheel bearing. If the noise happens when turning or going over bumps and is a single noise, like grr, then it is more likely a suspension or steering component. Check the most obvious things first like the sway bar mounts. Then, move on to the others I and others have listed above. It's a completely mechanical problem that should be easily diagnosed once the front of the car is lifted and inspected. Even if you plan to take it in to a pro, it's crucial you at least have an idea of what the problem is so that you may protect yourself from throwing money away.
Old 11-19-2004 | 04:31 PM
Chase72
Racer

Skip: You the man. And it's a consistent wub-wub kinda sound, consitent with speed (not a one time knocking sound). I will take a peek this weekend to see what I can find. Strange thing is: I went over my records last night, and the previous owner (prior to this October) replaced the sway bars, bushings and had the bearings packed... Think something just got loose? Boston roads are brutal (it's pot hole city here).

Chase

Quick Reply: Strange Sound from Front Shock