Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell Housing Bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 02:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

With good mounts the motor can rotate up and down lengthwise around the axis of the x-member. I don't think an inch of lateral movement front to rear would be the norm. I can usually swing the rear of the motor side to side about 3/4" or so; front to rear movement is very little on my car and I have one bad mount on the pass. side.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:57 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tight
With good mounts the motor can rotate up and down lengthwise around the axis of the x-member. I don't think an inch of lateral movement front to rear would be the norm. I can usually swing the rear of the motor side to side about 3/4" or so; front to rear movement is very little on my car and I have one bad mount on the pass. side.
yes, but we're talking about with the tranny out and the torque tube free floating. since the torque tube bolts to both tranny and motor, when the tranny is in place, it is part of the motor mounting system. if this was not the case, you'd need front and back motor mounts as well as side ones.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

Andrew,
All I can say is I can't move my motor front to rear that far and everything is disconnected from the block back. Could just be different on an 83 I don't know...luckily I can make the rear drop some to get the bellhousing clear of the firewall. If I would have had an inch like you it sure would have helped in those tight areas.
Steve
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tight
Andrew,
All I can say is I can't move my motor front to rear that far and everything is disconnected from the block back. Could just be different on an 83 I don't know...luckily I can make the rear drop some to get the bellhousing clear of the firewall. If I would have had an inch like you it sure would have helped in those tight areas.
Steve
oh, sorry i didn't realize you had your stuff out too. lost track of who was where on the clutch jobs. it could just be then that skoot's and my motor mounts are awful and the motor's not supposed to move that much. i had always figured that since the mounts were on the side, they wouldn't do much for front to back motion but i could be dead wrong

Quick Reply: Bell Housing Bolts???