Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Put a Turbo on my '77 924?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"you know, there was a guy on here that put 2 turbos on his 924 a while back. ... From what people had said... the car was FAST!!! Raced and won against all kinds of F-150s and dumptrucks."

Travis, you got it all wrong, he was racing F-15s and BEATING them! heh, heh...

Just poking fun at AMAF, that guy was worth endless entertainment!

As for turbocharing the 924, yes it's possible. But like everything else in life, solutions are not clear-cut in black & white, yes/no, all-or-nothing, qualitative terms. Yes it can be done, and you have to plan and outline the project and consider:

- system design and implementation
- availability of necessary parts; ratio of off-the-shelf vs. custom fabricated parts
- installation, DIY or shop-installed?
- tuning, how much boost? how to obtain optimum air-fuel and ignition settings, will you be tuning to 80% or 90% or 100% of the configuration's potential?
- costs related to all the above factors and choices made in each one.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow took a while for AMAF to get mentioned....
Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Travis, if it makes you feel any better, I got your sense of humor, even though certain uptight people didn't.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Travis, if it makes you feel any better, I got your sense of humor, even though certain uptight people didn't.
There should be some rule that all new members have to read every backed post for the last 2 years before they can post something. Just so they can get up to speed.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

Travis and Tif,

Just a couple points. 1) I am not ****. Maybe a little uptight after the responses given to a legitimate question. I have seen the same question posed by 944 owners and they were given straight answers instead of the "jokes" as you call them. 2) I am not a new poster. I have been a registered member of Rennlist since day one and the Porschelist before that. If you find that hard to believe, I'm sure John D or Jen would be glad to confirm it.

Dennis
Old 11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis, Everyone was well intended on this one. Everyone needs to chill out. Web boards are like emails in general, they wreak havoc as to a person's intended "tone". I think that is all that happened here.

AMAF was hilarious, in between making you want to pull your hair out!

Oh and as an aside, why CAN'T Travis be sarcastic if he wants to? So what if he's a site sponsor? He's a 924/944/951/968 enthusiast first....or I suspect he wouldn't even BE in the 924/944/951/968 aftermarket business. Am I right Travis?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
you know, there was a guy on here that put 2 turbos on his 924 a while back. Maybe you could get in contact with him about the details. From what people had said... the car was FAST!!! Raced and won against all kinds of F-150s and dumptrucks. Do a search for user "AMAF" and it will bring up a welth of information about his twin turbo 924.
I still say drop a V8 in there instead. If it was fast with the two turbos imagine how much faster it would be with a chevy lump.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan,
You are correct... If not for my love for these cars and Rennlist in general, I would have no reason to be a sponsor or even make any of the parts I do.

Dennis,
You are numbering your points, so that rules out point 1).
But seriously, I am sorry if I offended you or the 924.

Back off topic though... I remember seeing AMAFs 924 for sale a while back and the ad contained the line "adult driven."
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Wilson
Travis and Tif,

Just a couple points. 1) I am not ****. Maybe a little uptight after the responses given to a legitimate question. I have seen the same question posed by 944 owners and they were given straight answers instead of the "jokes" as you call them. 2) I am not a new poster. I have been a registered member of Rennlist since day one and the Porschelist before that. If you find that hard to believe, I'm sure John D or Jen would be glad to confirm it.

Dennis
I never said any of those things. All I stated was that I appreciated Travis's commentary.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

Tif,

I responded to you since you referred to me as uptight, which I agree I was. I just feel this forum was set up to help other Porsche owners. If you were a first time poster that "F150 and dumptruck" comment would be hard to take lightly. Humor on the form is OK and sometimes needed, but not at others expense.

Dennis (irritated but not ****)
Old 11-16-2004, 11:50 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can turbo anything, how long do you want it to last though? you could run 4 lbs of boost w/o an intercooler and i'm sure the car would last you quite a while but we're talkin minimal gains for the set-up... you might have more luck asking audi guys about turbo'ing that engine in your 924. and don't buy a "kit" unless you know nothing about cars. you can get 90% of the stuff used or from a wrecker and you can even do most of it yourself, it'd be fun!

Quick Reply: Can I Put a Turbo on my '77 924?