Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Track Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Window Track Rattle?

I have a nasty vibrating rattle in my driver-side door. It is coming from the metal track at the non-hinge end of the door. Specifically, there are two tabs near the bottom of the door, which look like they are there to brace the bottom of the track. The track is loose between these two tabs, and rattles as a result. Anyone had this problem? Should I just squeeze the tabs tight around the track?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IIRC the bottom of my tracks have screws in them, one of course which was missing and rattling like yours. Also though, one of the foam/rubber inserts that goes inside the rear track had come out and was laying in the bottom of the door, so the glass could rattle back and forth in the metal track.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:06 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my window rattles if it's all the way down, but I just tap the window up a 1/4" and it doesn't do it any more.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
IIRC the bottom of my tracks have screws in them, one of course which was missing and rattling like yours. Also though, one of the foam/rubber inserts that goes inside the rear track had come out and was laying in the bottom of the door, so the glass could rattle back and forth in the metal track.
In my case, it is just the vertical track -- the part that guides the rear edge of the window -- that is rattling against these two tabs inside the door. The tabs are part of the body, painted like the door. It looks like the tabs should either (a) squeeze tight around the track, (b) have some kind of rubber insert to keep the track from rattling, or (c) attach to the track somehow. Anybody have their door apart and willing to take a look? On the driver door, it is in the bottom left corner or thereabouts. I'll see if I can take a picture, as it is hard to visualize I'm sure.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my car the window track snaps into the bracket with the tabs and is then fastened in place, both at the top of the door and on the bracket with the tabs by screws. On my car the part of the bracket to which the track was afixed with a screw had gotten bent down at some point and the track was no longer fastened to it. The bracket with the tabs should have three tabs, two which the track snaps in between and one that is parallel to the ground and the track screws down to.

However, on some of these cars the track is actually welded into place and can break off at the bottom and rattle.

And finally, if you can fix it, fix it NOW because if you do not you will get the dreaded crack on the outside (and inside actually) of your door by the lower back corner of your window.

Last edited by Manning; 11-15-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:42 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, my rear vertical track was rattling as well. There should be a screw holding the bottom of the track to the door, mine was missing.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Manning and Karl... thanks so much for the info. I had looked and looked for a way to fasten the track. I never saw the bottom part of the tabs and, as you said, there was an empty screw hole just waiting for me. I had to pull the rubber guide out a bit to find it, and then just put a #8 sheet metal screw in there (pointing straight down, with plenty-O-locktite) and FINALLY the thing is secure and not rattling. It never ceases to amaze me the level of obscure info rennlist offers! Thank You!

Quick Reply: Window Track Rattle?