Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Arm inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A-Arm inspection?

I did a quick search on this topic and I didn't really come up with a definate answer so if someone could give me a quick rundown or point me to where I could find the answer that would be great. I pulled the ball joints out of the aluminum A arms from my '89 S2 parts car and I need to know what is acceptable as far as wear goes on the arm. The inside is still nice and shiny and shows no signs of dirt getting in and pitting it but if I run my finger inside I can feel some hills and valleys. How much is too much?

On a side not has anyone considered making a sticky of newbie FAQ stuff? Just a thought but it might be nice to have a sticky with links to previously discussed topics that seem to come up a lot. For example ball joint repair, timing belt replacement, wheel offsets and whatever else a mod or whoever is in charge of this felt would be useful and neccessary.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you planning on rebuilding them? If you plan on keeping them stock size ball joint then make sure that the top bushing would not be able to push it way up. I had that problem with mine. Also you want to check for the normal signs of cracks. You can also take them into a machine shop and have them tested for stress cracks. If the ball joint was wearing on the cylinder/pocket of the joint it may not be rebuildable unless they put a oversized ball joint in there which I don't like the idea of. Since they have to machine it and makes your arms not as strong.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Well I picked up a rennbay track kit a week ago and I was planning on using that. I am assuming that the rennbay kit has the stock sized ball joints in it. As far as cracks I haven't seen any but I'll probably have a machine shop check it for stress cracks I just want to know how to check the pockets themselves. As I said before there are some hills and valleys but how much is too much or does the existance of any just make the arm useless?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have too much valleys and hills that you are talking about but those arms right now are paper weights. In the rennbay kit take the top bushing and slide it into your arm and push up on it. If you feel any amount of it wanting to push out from the top then I would say it's not worth to put it in. Take those to the shop with the ball joint and bushing tell them that you want to rebuild them and ask if they think you would have any problems. Any decent shop will tell you if there is too much wear in the pockets.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few things to look for before installing the track kit in a set of arms. You should first look at the top of the ball joint pocket, where the pin sticks out. Look to make sure it is round and also look at the edge to see if it has started to roll over. These are the first signs of a worn arm. When installing the track kit you can get away with a little of this present, but not much.
The main thing to look for is cracks in the aluminum. This is very important. The structure of the pocket must be intact. Visually inspect the inside of the pocket and outside for any cracks in the aluminum. If none are present and the first inspection looks ok you should be good to go. Install the kit.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

problem with putting the upper busings in is that they need to be pressed so once they are in they are in there until I knock them out to replace them again.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seb is refering to the plastic bushings. Just inspect the arm like I said above and see what you find.

Quick Reply: A-Arm inspection?