Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uber Mahogani Braun or GT Gruppe color???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior color makes choosing the ext. color difficult. If you are going to change the color, why not go with a white body with red & blue race stripes. Think Brumos Porsche Race car color scheme. Only problem is if you plan on keeping this on the street as the paint scheme might be a bit too "look at me"

Cheers,
Old 11-10-2004, 07:10 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

My vote is with the stay original crowd. As mentioned before, the interior color does limit the viable choices.

To me, whenever I see a color change job where the door sills, engine compartment etc. are still the original color it really rubs the wrong way. That's just me though. It sounds like you got a super deal on the car, so the "risk" is not so huge anyway. The only other thought is that if you ever re-sell, one uniform color throughout will definitely help.

Anyway, I'm sure you will decide what YOU like best and it will look pretty good no matter what.

Show us some pics on how it turns out!

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:45 PM
IMB951
Drifting

My dads first 85.5 944 was mohogany brown, it was a really cool color. I never realized how rare that car was until he sold it, haven't been one the same color in person since...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size are the S03s that are on the car?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Nabeel >> "like Kalahari Beige?" I could just buy yours and be done with it right? It is a nice color. I like projects though. Hey, the same exact color in a 1983 Audi urquattro was called "Gobi Beige". Must have been sunny and dry that year in Neckersulm. Both the cars were built side by side - not the same year - but same factory.

badder$ >> Fitting the AIR front end was easy. I didn't even use a 951 bumper support or shocks behind. Ordered the one on sale from Performance and paid ($150) for shipping to Vermont. All you really need is to drill holes on each side where the OE lower valance fits (just use vise grips to hold and mark where to drill the fiberglass). I used three very short and stout stainless steel screws to drill up into the underside of the header panel to hold the middle section up. The only modifiying so far has been to open up the parking light holes a bit. I have the new Bosch fog lamps and still need to mount these, although, I might have my paint guy do it.

TonyK >> the S-03s are 225/50-15 in size. Oh, its really is not that chocolatey as the flash on my digital camera shows. Actually, its more! Ha! I love Chocolate anyway...

Original paint (as born from the factory) crowd... I'm a major Porsche fan and have been involved with them since my fathers first 1969 911E he bought new. I've always had a Porsche that the paint was good or great and never really had the ($$$) opportunity to 'explore' and be able to repaint one the way I would have ordered it with my graphics and design like I can with this 944. Heck, I've only got a low purchase price on this beast, plus body work, the turbo front end and all the refurbishment parts. I 'm not looking to sell this, only to drive... I do agree that looking at brown door sills with an Aubergine paint job might look wierd and turn the purist off, including myself. But also looking at (or driving in a brown Porsche) might not get me boiling either. It was those darn 7,8x15 Fuchs and new tires that did it for me on buying this one - who the h*ll cares what color it was. So, I'm torn too. One part of me says, "look at the options code build sticker dummy - what does it say...?" the other part says, "paint it how you want, race, run and drive it like there's no tomorrow".

Wow, all these views on one of my first real posts.. Thanks guys. Kewl. More food and fodder for thought.

ps speaking of build codes. Under the rear petrol tank carpet is the original computer generated white and green striped build sheet with ALL the codes on it. Total find, at least I thought it was.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of the original color- UNLESS the complete repaint is done correctly.

It would be an uber rare original color tho...
Old 11-10-2004, 10:05 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I think that you'll be sorry if you go in for a so/so color change job. It seriously devalues the car for a good reason. Besides, earth tones are coming back.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

I'm gravitating more back towards my roots - original color, original color, original color... Thanks guys for the support, I knew I could count on ya all.

I can't remember the persons name on our list, but he posted awhile back about his repaint on his Mahogany Brown Metallic 951 with clear coat depth to it. If I can get the rallye boys to wipe off the dirt first at Libra Racing and crank out this as Mahogany Brown in the paint booth, I'll be in fat city. This is one extremely nice looking LB8Z 951.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Nabeel
Pro

Originally Posted by Der Rennwagen
Nabeel >> "like Kalahari Beige?" I could just buy yours and be done with it right? It is a nice color. I like projects though. Hey, the same exact color in a 1983 Audi urquattro was called "Gobi Beige". Must have been sunny and dry that year in Neckersulm. Both the cars were built side by side - not the same year - but same factory.
Heh, my car is sold already, to Colin ("Shabba"), a fellow Rennlister. I've seen Audi urquattros in that beige color, but I didn't realize that it could be the same exact shade. That Mahogany 951 you posted is gorgeous. After seeing those pics I'd say stick with the original color, for authenticity plus because its a fantastic color!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Some colors only look good when the paint is in good condition. I never thought much of "Rubinrot" (sp?) metallic (ruby red metallic, like on an 84 944) until I saw one where the paint was smooth and glossy. This could be the case with a lot of the darker metallics? Lighter colors don't show their flaws as much as darker colors, and by their nature of being more reflective, will look better when they are old and tired.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Probably. Mine is rubenrot metallic and needs a repaint. the sides of the car look great, but the clearcoat screwed up the top and hood. I'm hoping for a repaint next year.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

*UPDATE*
I've decided to go with Amethyst, code L38A for year 1993 with silver centered Fuchs and silver centered cookie cutters. I know that it''s not original, but it's what I want to drive in everyday. We dropped the 944 off at John Buffum's Libra Racing last Sunday for repainting by Eckert Motorsports Brian Oldfield. They've just started with sanding and should be done by the end of Feb. I'll keep the board posted with pics.

So far for the repaint, I've needed a new pass side door handle trim piece, all new door seal gaskets, mirror seal gaskets, front Porsche emblem crest and gasket, and rear hatch seal. They will be removing the rear valance, mirrors, door handles, rear hatch, rear bumpers, and front cover before painting. I'm planning on removing the side mouldings when done. No doubt, there will be more to do...
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, that Amethyst 968 belongs to my friend Tobias!

He always says it's a "girly color" but I'm sure he'll be honored that you chose to paint your 944 to match a photo of his!

If you haven't begun painting it yet, I would seriously reconsider the original Mahogany Brown. Wouldn't be the first car to look awesome in its original finish the way it was when new!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Luis, Thanks for the additional photos and *original* advice! Yes, that is your friends 968. I just looked for Amethyst on rennlist and found the 968 and 964.

I have not yet purchased the paint... keep twisting my arm guys, I might have to keep the paint original color.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

- UPDATE -
Primer is on! Looks like a totally different Porsche. The guys over at Libra Racing / Eckert Motorsport are great. Ya, ya, I didn't go for a full total glass out, bare metal respray, couldn't afford this. When it's done it should look nice. I decided on Amethyst code L38A. I'll get more photos up when it's finished. I've been without driving it for the last three weeks - Grrrrr. Although, the roads up here are still far from nice, I REALLY MISS driving that old Porsche!

Quick Reply: uber Mahogani Braun or GT Gruppe color???