Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another V8 944 on e-bay. FORD powered??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

Tifo... I lost their site. Could you post it on here?
Here ya go:

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/
Old 11-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True- the New Mustangs are one dead sexy car. The live rear axles will be on the 06's Cobra's and the 07 GT's. I really need to drive one for a better opinion.
From the people I know at FoMoCo...
There will be no live rear axle on GT model cars, the market for the car is a solid axle group. Every study they did showed that owners wanted solid rear axle.

The live rear axle will be standard on all Cobra models.

Chassis is similar to Lincoln LS double wishbone setup, just for reference.

Car is dead sexy but I am sure there will be a wait list for the Cobra and the GTs will not get the wheels you saw on the show car versions.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. the folks at 5th gear are incorrect then- thats where I got my info. They were praising Ford about finally leaving the solid axle behind 40 years after the Mustang's introduction.

thats what I get for believing the Brits..
Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Chris, you never know. Ford wanted to use the live axle but everyone pissed and moaned about it.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:03 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
From the people I know at FoMoCo...
There will be no live rear axle on GT model cars, the market for the car is a solid axle group. Every study they did showed that owners wanted solid rear axle.

The live rear axle will be standard on all Cobra models.

Chassis is similar to Lincoln LS double wishbone setup, just for reference.

Car is dead sexy but I am sure there will be a wait list for the Cobra and the GTs will not get the wheels you saw on the show car versions.
huh? Solid axles and live axles are one in the same. They talked about indi rear suspension and people moaned. The new GT as well as the GTs of the past 4 decades have been live/solid rear's while the last gen Cobra (that wicked, wicked beast) brought in the IRS.

I've heard that the IRS will continue on the Cobra models, but I haven't heard the GTs will follow suit, but that the standard POS 'stang and the GT will use the new, much better designed live axles setup (FINALLY, a panhard bar!).

As a matter of fact, I just saw one last night... first time I saw a production '05 and I must say, the front looks great and the back is a serious improvement. My one major complaint on styling is the continued aim towards people with rocky/rut-infested/offroad driveways. What do I mean? Well the Mustang is a hit across the country, even in places where driving conditions don't exactly mimic a racetrack. FoMoCo has to keep a pickup truck-like stance on the car with ginormous fender gaps and a generally bad fender design. If they had stuck with the concept's lines in that area (but who does) and not compromise for production's sake, it would have been dead sexy. They compromosed it to "better looking than the last generation" IMO.

Just another $0.02 in the wishing well I guess.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:16 PM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly, the worse porsche ive ever seen. he should remove the porsche crest on the hood. its an embarassment.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Kevin, you are correct, IRS on Cobra, see what happens when you type responses while working in Excel?

Quick Reply: Another V8 944 on e-bay. FORD powered??