Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rennlist virgin

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
bradc121
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rennlist virgin

hey all, i'm brad, i'm 22 and i'm looking at an '87 924 with 79k miles on it. this is my first time posting here and would be my first porsche so be gentle. i have a couple questions about value and "start-up" costs. the car looks to be in good shape, the interior looks good, only problem i can see is a tear in the driver's side seat, the body is in good shape and the only mechanical problem noted is that the front driver's side strut leaks. my question is, what kind of money am i going to need to put into it after purchase, and what kind of things should i replace just to be sure nothing goes extremely wrong?
i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars and the only thing on my list to replace now is that strut and the timing belt.

one other thing, how much of a financial commitment would this car be? i'm a starving college student and don't have tons of money to put into maintaining a car.

thanks in advance for your help
brad
Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace your front struts with KYB's, (30 bucks each from tirerack) and youll be fine, if money's tight. That's what I have and they seem fine.

If you go to rennbay.com there are seat reupholstrey sets you can buy too.

Good luck!Oh, and you may want to do your waterpump and rollers with the timingbelt if you do not know the history.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

read the faq few times.

four koni shocks 550 install 200, timing belts and water pump unless recently done 1000, clutch if it goes 1200, should I go on?

try the search for specific areas. the motor is an interference type motor so if the timing belt goes it will cost you valves at 80 each.

I would not recommend a 924/944 for a starving college student unless he/she is hell bent on a 924/944. others will disagree, its your money. good luck.

value of a clean 924S with 80k is around 4k. value of a mint 89 944 with 39k miles about 7k.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
read the faq few times.

four koni shocks 550 install 200, timing belts and water pump unless recently done 1000, clutch if it goes 1200, should I go on?

try the search for specific areas. the motor is an interference type motor so if the timing belt goes it will cost you valves at 80 each.

I would not recommend a 924/944 for a starving college student unless he/she is hell bent on a 924/944. others will disagree, its your money. good luck.

value of a clean 924S with 80k is around 4k. value of a mint 89 944 with 39k miles about 7k.
Its official. I am hell bent on the 944.

But honestly, for the money, i dont see myself driving any other car. Every penny is worth it, and by every: i mean EVERY.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

There are a lot of us here that own these cars and are currently in college. I suggest its NOT your main car. These cars are reaching 20 years of age+ . They are super dependable...but as all German cars, they are quirky sometimes.

Get a prepurchase inspection done by a dealer, or a recommended independent Porsche shop. Its vital to truly know what the story is on the car. Especially if the owner doesn't have the car's work history. If it doesnt have history i might even look for a different one. Its that important.

If you arent mechanically inclinded, costs are expensive, but not insane like some other sports cars. Some parts are expensive, some parts are cheap, but the labor is usually extensive, and at an average of 60 - 100 dollars per hour from a shop, it adds up quick.
Basic stuff is more than normal cars too. I need over $50 just for oil. (not including paying for an oil change) I change oil every 2500 miles.

Figure between $1000 - $3000 a year set aside from the car. You may not need it, but if something happens you will be glad to have that money set aside. You also need to consider insurance. If its not a daily car, you may be able to get it under collector car insurance. Otherwise figure 1000+ / year.

Also, if the belts have not been changed RECENTLY, change them. Its not worth the risk.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Its official. I am hell bent on the 944.

But honestly, for the money, i dont see myself driving any other car. Every penny is worth it, and by every: i mean EVERY.
Me too!!! And I'm poor. But it should change it if you are poor only because of the porsche.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:21 PM
bradc121
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tom R.
read the faq few times.

maybe starving is a bit drastic - i make decent money, but don't have any to throw around if that makes sense. it would be my daily car, and i'd probably put a lot of miles on it, not stop and go miles, but still maybe 15000 a year. that said i am willing to put the time, effort and money into maintaining it. i know it would be more practical to go with a honda civic, but then i'd be like everyone else, and it is worth it to actually enjoy my car.

one other question, has anyone ever had any major problems with their porsche in the cold and/or snow? there will probably be a couple days when i have to drive through an inch or two.

i don't know if i'm hell bent on it, but i've loved porsches since i was maybe 10 years old and i'm pretty giddy at the prospect of owning one.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

There are plenty of people running them in the winter. We have a lot of people from Northern Europe and Canada here too, so they could better help with that. I will say, GET DEDICATED WINTER TIRES. All seasons are a joke. You should be fine with tires like the Blizzaks or Winter Sports. The 944 has the best heating system ive ever seen. Nothing compares. And if you get seat warmers, prepare to have one toasted ***, as they get TOO HOT, on low!

I cant speak for everyone, but i know a few people's cars, including mine are finicky in extreme cold. Some super super cold mornings, it just doesnt feel like going anywhere. I dont blame it. Then again, i usually pack my car away for the winter, but ive had a few times where i HAD to have it out.

I will say though...after owning a 944 for 2 years, there is nothing ide rather drive! Porsches are the best car ive ever been in, even compared to all the higher exotics. They are a pleasure to drive in all weather! I usually dont even drive my car in the rain, but i got caught in a snow storm once (dont ask) and after i got over the initial shock of snow on my car, it was one of the the funnest times ive ever had! I can't wait to buy a second Porsche as a daily driver!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh, for 15,000 miles a year, you will probably need about $1200 for normal maintenance if you DONT do it yourself. Thats factoring in oil changes every 2500 miles, and brake fluid yearly, and other odds and ends that need regular care. And expect tires every other year with those miles if you drive with high performance street tires. Tires cost an average of $200 each. Thats personal preference though. I personally wont put junk tires on my car, but i dont know each person's situation or mindset about that. Ok, so factor in another 1000 or so for insurance. And another 1000 just in case something explodes or you find out how much 944 stuff is on ebay (or how cool our rennlist sponsors are with upgrades...)

That comes out to roughly $3000. Which is about right for a daily driven 944 on AVERAGE. We have a creative bunch on rennlist, so there's always the exceptions.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Brad, I would really recommend reading through the thread called "survivalists guide for first time users". There is some great info in there. Also, post over on the 924 boards if you have specific questions.
But as for startup costs, make sure the water pump and timing belt was done RECENTLY. If the belts go you will have one big paperweight that is enormously expensive to fix...
Other than that, what everyone else said.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

My 944 is my daily driver and I love it!!! Do what I do...I started the 944 savings account. $100-200 a month....now whenever repairs are needed, I'm not having to worry about finding the money!!!
Buy it....love it.....DRIVE IT!!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Oh, for 15,000 miles a year, you will probably need about $1200 for normal maintenance if you DONT do it yourself. Thats factoring in oil changes every 2500 miles, and brake fluid yearly, and other odds and ends that need regular care. And expect tires every other year with those miles if you drive with high performance street tires. Tires cost an average of $200 each. Thats personal preference though. I personally wont put junk tires on my car, but i dont know each person's situation or mindset about that. Ok, so factor in another 1000 or so for insurance. And another 1000 just in case something explodes or you find out how much 944 stuff is on ebay (or how cool our rennlist sponsors are with upgrades...)

That comes out to roughly $3000. Which is about right for a daily driven 944 on AVERAGE. We have a creative bunch on rennlist, so there's always the exceptions.
Tony- you are about dead on on PM and normal maintenance items for a daily driver. Bank on the 3 grand if you dont spend it by late fall, biuy some winter tires and a set of spare wheels. - that'll stretch out the tire wear issues. (If you dont race that is..) Still cheaper than a car payment. NEVER buy cheap tires.

Quick Reply: rennlist virgin