Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up one side only?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004 | 04:00 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

A hockey puc......that's brilliant!
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:09 PM
faithless
Pro

I was looking at that same set by Craftsman a few weeks ago. I would say thats a good choice, just because you know Sears will be around when the seals finally go, and you know Craftsman means great quality.

Just put a jackstand under the car. It's easy. If you let the car sit on the floorjack you're just taking more life out of the seals and its definately not safe at all.
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:15 PM
painkiller
Racer

I have used Bruce's method with the 2X4s and depending on what you have the car up for it can be nice for the extra height. Most of the time I just use the square pockets, I have used them for five years and there are small scratches on them but thats it, and the stand cannot rotate while in that pocket. That being said, I am always relieved when I get out from under that thing even if its sat there for months.

PK
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:20 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

can you use the tranny as a jack point in the rear? i've never actually tried this, and didn't want to stress the input shaft/tranny mount. if it's securely in place and it doesn't hurt the mount then i'd just put a piece of wood between the jack and the tranny. i prefer to jack the center of the car than having to do one side at a time. if not the tranny, is there another central rear jacking point? i use the crossmember in the front
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:52 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Before careful using wood blocks. I've been using a piece of 2X4 and it recently split in half on me. When I lowered the car down on it, I could here it split and crack and I quickly jacked it back up. Would it be better to use pressure treated wood for this purpose?

Dualblade, the workshop manual states not to use the tranny as a jack point.
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:53 PM
User 41221
Banned

AndyK, no problem to leave your car up on one side for a while. You won't damage your car or ruin your tires.

Dualblade, NO! It's not meant to be stressed like that, so don't do it. There are plenty of good jacking points on a 944, so don't use the tranny as one unless you enjoy buying new trannys.

Regards,
Old 11-04-2004 | 06:00 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

I should have said that I use pressure treated wood left over from building the fence / deck.

And I am careful in lowering the car onto the wood. Once the car is on stands I place the jacks on the end where I will be working and snug them up so that they are a backup.
Old 11-04-2004 | 06:02 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sh944
AndyK, no problem to leave your car up on one side for a while. You won't damage your car or ruin your tires.

Dualblade, NO! It's not meant to be stressed like that, so don't do it. There are plenty of good jacking points on a 944, so don't use the tranny as one unless you enjoy buying new trannys.

Regards,
lol, that was pretty emphatic! i may ask foolish questions but i never attempt potentially foolish things without asking first. as i do not enjoy buying new trannies, i'll keep away from using it as a jacking point. is there anything else that's good in the rear?
Old 11-04-2004 | 06:02 PM
chregan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 951Tom
Would it be better to use pressure treated wood for this purpose?
Pressure treated wood isn't any stronger. It's just resistant to rot and insects. The "pressure" in the name describes the method used to force chemicals into the wood.
Old 11-04-2004 | 10:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chregan
Pressure treated wood isn't any stronger. It's just resistant to rot and insects. The "pressure" in the name describes the method used to force chemicals into the wood.
It's always nice when newbies post valueable comments...instead of "can i turn my n/a?"
Old 11-05-2004 | 04:46 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
I was wondering if I could use a floor jack (in the center diamond slot) to jack up the right side of my car, slide in jack stands, and then take the rims off to paint my rotor hats? Would it be bad for the suspension to be up on one side only for an hour or so?

Can I get away with using a floor jack and no stands if I wont be under the car?

I figure it will be easier to do one side first, then do the other side after. My garage is narrow anyway, so I wont be able to get to both sides at once in there.

Thoughts?
Of course you can! IF.....you trust your jack not to leak down while your doing "your thing".......and ONLY IF you don't get under it. I use wood blocks, concrete building blocks under the frame/ hoist points.......whatever makes ya feel good ya know! Personally.......I don't LIKE jackstands........I don't trust 'em ( I even have 3 pairs of em). I've seen the results of a persons chest when one these types of jacks failed and scooted out from under the frame on him (many years ago, different type car). I like things more solid and skid proof. Best to use hardwood blocks.......common sense must prevail here! No rocket science involved.
Old 11-05-2004 | 11:37 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just need to jack up the car to remove the wheels and sand/paint the rotor hats. Not gonna slide under the car--although I might as well check the cat heat shield, and spray some lube on the right front shock mount.

Jack stands, AND the jack, if/when I do get under the car at all.
Old 12-04-2004 | 11:18 PM
944IF
Advanced

I've done a good deal of work on my car with it up on two ramps and 2 stands. Even doing a clutch job (ugh) like that now.

Incidentally, I think pressure treated wood has cyanide injected into it to keep it from decomposing. Seems a good deal of lakeside communites end up with cyanide in the lake from docks made from it, so manufacturers are transitioning to something else.
Old 12-04-2004 | 11:22 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do jack on the transmission when I want both rears up. I also do jack on the middle X to bring one side up. You won't hurt anything leaving it indefinitely.

Sam
Old 12-05-2004 | 12:02 AM
944IF
Advanced

If you jack on the point in the middle, people might think your car is a race-car...

Seriously, it makes sense to have a jackpoint there, they're marked with diamond shapes on the stoneguard area, it appears to be strong (and plenty of us have verified that), so why not jack there?

Quick Reply: Jacking up one side only?