Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing in my 2.7l - now selling (just the engine/head)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default spun bearing in my 2.7l - now selling (just the engine/head)

3rd time's a charm? Rookie mistake. Engine normally burns 1/2 quart oil in 30 minute track session. Did not check oil after second session and blew the engine at the end of third session. Bit the big one coming off a 3rd gear 7k-rev-limit lefty.

The really bad news was that I missed the last three laps and the opportunity to knock on Ian M's door again in his "wicked-cool-951." Now I have the makings of an ugly charm bracelet - what a trophy, eh

Have a line on an 88 (2.5l) engine already so the 89 (2.7l) is history. Too much trouble trying to get classed "fairly" in SCCA and others.

Any boostheads out there ready to go big with a 3.0 liter 944 Turbo stroker? You need my head.

For those of you keeping score at home, this 6+ year (3+ years dedicated track) project is holding steady at 2x ring and pinion failures, 3x rod bearing failures, and an engine fire (not counting the one from a previous owner.) Still has the original dash and shift **** though!

Getting the 2.5l means I finally have to learn to drive faster. The 2.7l blows kisses at the wimpy 2.5l as we tear by...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:30 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use this as an excuse to join in the race to 400Hp...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! Kudos to you for admittiing a mistake that could have happened to most of us.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you selling the entire engine?
I can't remember, the 2.7L is an 8V, right?

What are you asking for it?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

400HP would just mean I makes mistakes faster

Admission of guilt in lieu fo the training benefit is not hard at all. Attention to detail and preventative care can never be overemphasized.

The 2.7l is still an 8 valve engine. It was produced for only one year, in 1989. The head is relatively valuable by itself for use with highly modified 944 Turbos. I'm not real sure what the value is currently, but I am open to offers. PM me if interested.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip

The 2.7l is still an 8 valve engine. It was produced for only one year, in 1989. The head is relatively valuable by itself for use with highly modified 944 Turbos.
Sorry to hear the bummer, Skip.

To get your mind off of it, could you please tell me the differences between the 2.7l and 2.5l head? Specifically, how does it help the monster 951 engines?

p.s. And do you still have that pic of the Blaszak a-arms?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Skip, you need to go my route. Get some cash for the 2.7L and go 3.0L na!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Zero10
Race Car

IIRC the 2.7L had bigger valves or something?...
I think they changed the water passages or something as well.
Well, if it's cheap, I'd be interested, but if the head is worth something, perhaps the block without the head?
I'm interested, if the price is good =)

*EDIT*
I did some looking, and the 2.7L seems to have bigger intake bores, and bigger valves.
Skip, while I was looking I was comparing prices on 2.7L engines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
There's one that's presently for sale. It seems to be a rather good example, rather low mileage.

I recall some previous auctions for used 2.7L's ending around the low 1000's. I saw one with 150,000mi (roughly) go for around $750, but that may have been a rare case.

I am wondering if there is anything you know for certain about this engine, (other than it spun a rod bearing =), like perhaps mileage, any known damage from the rod bearing? Anything would help me make a more accurate offer.

That info may also be important to me/whoever wants the head. If the price is right on the head, I would much rather take a complete motor, it's much more helpful.

Last edited by Zero10; 11-04-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Skip,

I know someone looking for a 2.7 head. I'm going to forward this link to him. What email address can he reach you at?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The bearing spun at full tilt and I took another ~5 seconds to be sure that my loss of power was also indicated as low oil pressure. I was burning 114 gas without my race chip at the time because the on-track 100 was locked up. I was weary of doing this and burning a little too hot, but since I have the high compression 2.7l I wasn't too worried. When I lost power, I hoped it was something else. A quick glance at the gauge and the mystery was solved. There was what I would refer to as a "normal" amount of bearing debris in the oil when drained. Since this is my third time, I have a little experience in how bad it can be. However, the engine will not turn over using the starter. That worries me that there may have been some collateral damage. No rods sticking out of the block, but you never know. I'm sure it's rebuildable, but it's cheaper/easier to just get another used engine and blast around another 3 years. I'd keep the 2.7l if it weren't for the problems I continually face with having the wrong engine for the car when it comes to classing. Not just in the SCCA (where the 2.7l engine is not allowed to be retrofitted to any other 944 - even carrying the 89 weight penalty. I disagree with this, and it might change, but I need to know the car will pass scrut next season) but also with general classing that usually draws a line at anything above 2.5 liters. ICSCC is one example.

Email is best for me at skip@paragon-products.com

Thanks for the responses. I will try to fit in some time to pull and disassemble the engine to check for collateral damage. So far, it's just a rod bearing. Compression is still good.

I'm not too savvy on the details of the 2.7l head when used in stroker kits, but I know they are required for the 3.0l turbo deal. Chris Cervelli and Scott Gomes are the two I would trust to know the most about this stuff.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill give you 100 bucks for the head Really, PM is you are interested. I could sure use one.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I would be very interested in the complete engine. Preferably with head, I have 2 plans for it. Either rebuild it as a 2.7L NA engine, and enjoy the extra power over my 100psi 2.5L engine (Seriously, 3 of the 4 cylinders are under 100psi, the 4th is 102psi), or build up a 3.0L turbo.
If I'm rebuilding it as a 2.7L NA, I would like the head, but if I'm doing the turbo, I would require sodium filled exhaust valves, ceramic coating the exhaust ports, etc, so I would be happy with a head with bent valves (since I would replace most of them anyways).
To be quite honest, I'm afraid of 16V heads. I don't want another ticking time bomb/wear item to worry about in the head.

If you just pulled the head, and the cylinders were okay, that's good enough for me. I'm leaning really heavily on building a 3.0L turbo anyways, so I would be changing the crank.

I'll e-mail you from now on, I just thought I would post my plans =)
Old 11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt, PM is on the way - hold your breath until it arrives. Methinks you left a zero off, my friend

Thanks for the interest, folks. I have emails from some of you so it's up to me now to determine what my next move is.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:37 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent Skip.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:16 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Skip,

Was any work done to this motor, or the others, to prevent spinning bearings? Do you think the low oil level would have caused the bearings to spin regardless of what work might have been done?

sm

Quick Reply: spun bearing in my 2.7l - now selling (just the engine/head)