Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I wrote off the 944 Today *@#$*%*$#

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, I started a trend
Old 11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John, they keep posting non-technical replies here. Please make them stop. I can't stand it any mooorrrrreeeee!!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:55 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suck it up:P

The camber/tow on the rear passenger tire was extremely far off i.e at a 30-38 degree angle to the ground and not perpendicular. With the rear 1/4 getting the impact it did it turned the lip of the well down and there's about 3/4-1 1/16" clearance between the tread and lip. I turned the lip back as best I could and drove it to the nearest frame/suspension/tire shop to have it all looked over. It really smells like gas since it got hit, I just hope that the gas tank is not damaged! We'll see tomorrow though, I've been told these frames are fragile on our cars so if the acutal frame is bent there will be a 944 up for parting out!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a really tough call in the back. If the quarter panel is pushed in less than 2" or so, it's quite possible you got away without frame damage. It's usually hard rear-impacts that bend the frames on our cars.
Mine's been hit hard in the driver's quarter panel in the past, and it only messed up the cubby areas, and over the wheel well. Hopefully you are this lucky as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 489 Posts

Aww man that really sucks, its the worst putting so much into something to have it taken away by some moron. You have my sympathies, its happened to me once before and its the worst. Glad every one was ok. Try and keep the car if possible and maybe do some fiber glass stuff to repair it. Good luck. -all the best-chris

If its any consolation Im havin a tough week too, girls in general are the worst for your health.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
John, they keep posting non-technical replies here. Please make them stop. I can't stand it any mooorrrrreeeee!!!!!
Are you kidding me?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Alrite here's an update. The tire shop says I'll need a new rim/tire indefinately. They looked at the frame itself, they say it's shifted and IS bent. Apparently frame shops nowadays can fix that sort of thing. Man this is a lot of money and I haven't even started on the bodywork for the car. Now i'm wondering if it's better off to just "write-off" the car considering the damage, buy it back, and part it out OR actually have it fixed?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:48 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Ok now here's a serious question... where do I stop? Before the accident I could've sold the car for $3500 and got that.. and not really be in the hole much at all. Now I have a tow bill, 1 hr at one shop, undoubtably 1 hr at the frame shop not to mention the time/cost to fix it and then the cost of replacing a friend's tire/rim. Roughly that's $700 CAD and the rear 1/4 + door haven't even been touched.

The car by no means was "mint" before with the typical rust at both seams at the rear under the hatch, not to mention around the antenna and the headlight. The front chin spoiler beat up a bit and the stripped interior. So where do I stop? Do I replace the 1/4 + door skin or do I fix it? Do I "write" the car off b/c of the amount of damage and part the entire thing out?

How long would it take to part it all out and would I get my $3500-4000 CAD from stripping it like that? It's an '84, 140,000ish miles engine with no clicking or ticking, starts everytime. I've got everything for it, then there's the DME, the electrical parts, glass, etc. etc. etc. I don't have experience in parting it out so where do I start with all this?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Parting out an early car will not fetch a ton of money. the big money items are a good front valence(you dont have), good seats(nope), Fuchs(nope), front fenders undamaged(?) engine and transmission(300-500 for the engine, 300 for the transmission if both are working fine) No way you will get close to 3k with your car. put up some pics so we can check it out.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Default 56K warning

I've got the cookie cutters as you can see, dash has several cracks in it, armrest is ripped, driver's side seat is seperating at seams, passenger seat is allrite, still have full interior, passenger side fender and driver's side rear 1/4 are mint.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't have full insurance coverage?

IMHO, I agree with Judd above. If you don't have full coverage, and aren't expecting to get some $$ for the car from the insurance company, just sell it complete for a small sum and use that cash toward another. Parting it out is going to take a lot of time, and space, and you won't get much $$ back on that time investment.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:55 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

I appreciate all the replies guys, no full coverage on the vehicle however if the accident is proven to be 50/50 then he is responsible for paying for 1/2 the damge. If the sum of the damage is greater than 80% of the value then the car is "written off" and they must give me 1/2 of the vehicle's worth or 1/2 of the cost of the damages, whichever is less. In this event, no doubt it will be blue book value and so it goes to insurance limbo, some auction lot. However if he is free and clear I'm stuck with this thing. Considering the rims I have, the overall shape of it before the accident and what's wrong with it now what would you consider to be a modest sum? The engine is magnifico, the tranny shifts awesomely, no LSD, power everything, etc. etc. so what would I expect. $1500 u.s? 2000 u.s?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

the ONLY things are the bent frame which is fixable, the poor camber on the rear tire, the bashed 1/4, door is scraped.. rust here and there, but the upgraded sway bars, the steering wheel, the alarm system, awesome mechanically, tint etc...
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you only have 3 rims right? I sold a rolling chassis with cookie cutters for 100 bucks. these cookie cutters look in good shape see what he gets for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I would just take what the ins co. gives you, you can always take out the compressor, tool kit, sunroof bag, swap stereo, etc. (the small stuff) sell it on ebay, get ~100 bucks. A friend has a 87 944 that was damaged on the drivers side rear quarter panel, bent the frame, totaled it. he got 6500 from the ins co. I was going to buy it back from the ins. co but they wanted 1900! phhhh. at that price I could spend 40 hours parting it and get back what 2300? If I would be lucky, but 15" phone dials do not command much money. Most cars I get for one Item, Fuchs, LSD, Rebuilt Engine, etc. big money Items, I dont see your car as having any. (no offense, my 86 doesnt either)
Old 11-05-2004, 01:31 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Between the iceracer and your car, I'm sure you have enough parts to put it back together and still have a nice 944.

Quick Reply: So I wrote off the 944 Today *@#$*%*$#