Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86' 944 for sale and a key question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:34 PM
John Struthers
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 86' 944 for sale and a key question.

Howdy,
FWIW,
There is a dark metallic grey (Charcoal?) 86', stick for sale on a lot in Midland, TX.
First the good news:
Probable repaint though judging by the interior, which is cherry, it has been garaged most of it's life. Body is straight and very clean, finish is high 8's to a mid 9. Didn't see/notice any dings. Doors open and close like a vault. Dash is in fantastic shape, as are the doors panels, armrests console. Drivers seat has me scratching my head ...the owners must have weighed all of 80 pounds it's like new and thats the worst seat in the car! Carpets vary between mid 8's and new...Glass and lenses are clean/clear with no chips, cracks or pitting. Turn signal lenses including rear /tail light lenses clear and polished - new looking - .
Tires are around 85%, Wheels are Porsche -I don' think they are 944 wheels though. They are sort of flats with holes in them. in any case they also look new, no curb rash or clearcoat peeling.
VIN is : WPOAA0941GN455931
Asking price is: $3950,00
Mileage (odometer) : 90973
If any one is interested I'll take some flicks and get em' posted.
What I haven't looked at/ bad news:
Under hood
Under car
Checked lights, windows, locks ect
Run engine
Checked for leaks
Brakes
Suspension
Otherthan Arthritic/Airborne knees acting up (the reason I didn't get under the car) the other checks are on hold because the dealer clipped ALL of the keys together and someone boogied with them ... sheer genius ...
Since the keys were in the ignition at the time of disappearance the doors could not be locked.
Which brings me to the Key question.
Can this guy use the VIN and his Dealer ID to order one from a Porsche House?
If not, what's the drill?
If nothing else I'm sure some more dollars should come off the asking price over the key issue, but a lot remains to be checked after the key is in the ignition once again.
IMO
Even if the engine/tranny were trashed this 944 would be worth the asking price.
Can't wait for the key's ...oh boy...!
Old 10-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main thing to consider is the maintaince that will need to be done. Even if the car hasn't been used in a while, these things need regular attention. Timing belt must be replaced every 30K or every couple of years. The clutch, if original, will need replacing soon. It has a rubber center that gets old, dry and cracks. Also check for a "milkshake" in the coolant bottle. If there is oil and coolant mixing, you will need the oil cooler seals replaced. Those jobs are not terribly expensive, if you do them yourself. Time and skill to do them is another story, the oil cooler seals are a major pain, the clutch is very time consuming, timing belt is not difficult, but needs special tools, and knowledge. That said the price seems pretty fair. I'd say you'll need to anticipate spending $1500-$2000 to get the major things done to get it up to date. Plus allow some extra for radiator hoses and various other electrical things that may need attention. Best advice, find a shop in your area that is familiar with these cars and have them do a pre-purchase inspection.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 PM
TestDriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Did you end up buying that 944? If so, by my count, that would mean there are 3 of us from this area on this list.

Ramon
Old 12-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That seems a bit high. As much as I like to see the value / selling price of these cars going up, that seems like a high number for an n/a car unless it's perfect. Saying it's an 8 or 9 is good, but little stuff adds up quick. Heck, a new set of floormats is 100 bucks! Just keep those things in mind and maybe try to talk him down a little. If I could get $500 off I'd feel better with that price. Maybe you're okay with it - I don't think you're getting ripped off, but you could probably do a little better.

Does the a/c work? If not, that's easily $1,000 right there.

Quick Reply: 86' 944 for sale and a key question.