Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Post - Found 71 911T Need Fast Advice - Long, sorry

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, Very gracious, thank you for the thought. (I'd replace the 944 with a 951 or a 928 S4 or GT!!)
Old 10-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The transaxle "howls"? That sounds like at least a couple of grand worth of time bomb to me. . . I'd get 'em to drop the price.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:24 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Dan - regarding the rust issue, i wouldn't think it's a big deal in pasadena. maybe WASHING the car would cause some rust, but the climate itself isn't bad...is that correct?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

It is the 911 from the "Big Chill" only without the targa. Almost a british racing green.

While not a high $$ color like black, red or silver, it is better than yellow or the lime green of a few years later.

I am talking resale wise, not my preference.

A local PCA guy recently bought a 911S from out west, the car is absolutely gorgeous. He said he enjoys it more than his Carerra convertible, and he got rid of a porsche or two because the early 911 is that much fun.

I was going to look at a yellow 73 T Targa for sale near me in March or April 73 was a crossover year mechanically (i tihing it was early based on the low price) and the thought of driving a few hours to Lime Rock without A/C put teh Kebash on it for me. I regret not looking at the car. Dont regret buying the gray S2 but regret not checking it out.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Jeff, My "howl" statement was an overstatement. It doesn't sound (or feel) like anything is drastically wrong. I am guessing an ordinary sound from lash and the wear of many years.

Joseph, Yes, the climate is mild...everywhere in SoCal, well, except th local mountains. This car was bought near me in Glendale. We are far enough from the beaches that salt air is not an issue.

Tom R. Yes, the same color as The Big Chill car, no, not a Targa, no sunroof. I think it would be very enjoyable to drive too. I think shifting will improve with Swepco or Redline and some adjustment/new bushings, or maybe a Wevo shifter. I know little about them, but they are supposed to help a lot. As for AC? Yes, very necessary in SoCal...but I got along okay with my 944 for 1-1/2 years without it. I have my big-*** truck to drive if its too hot. Small price to pay for a classic auto. Incidentally, it HAD AC. The brackets are removed, but the blower assembly is still in the front "trunk"(?), the longer studs are on the side covers...what are those called on a 911...where the spark plugs fgoes into? Sorry for the idiot question, but??

Okay guys, went on my lunch hour, shop put it on the lift. Pans are original, I poked at them thoroughly, no rust damage I can see. Perhaps a little of the white battery dust from a weep hole near the left battery box, swept it aside, no damage. Newer appearing rear axles, botts undamaged. Heater cabling all connected and working, shop was fixing the hand throttle- wasn't working when I test drove it. I am setting the hook in my mouth, huh?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just do it. It seems like the downside is maybe 2k max.
Life is too short. My buddy that bought the farm last night at 40 would approve of you treating youself to a toy like an old 911.

it sounds like a rare find. buy the motor work, get the rest of the car for free. fair deal, one or two owners in 35 years, whats not to like about it.

even if you use it for a year then throw it out you will be out less $$ than if you bought a new boxster and used it for the year. Im talking myself into and out of a GTO as I type this. w
Old 10-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Tom, Yeah, I do the same...talk myself in and out.

Usually when I am struggling with a decision like this I consider what my "out" is?, what's the ease of "escapeablility" look like? On this early car, I don't think there would be any problem with selling it in a year or two. I might even make a profit after doing the interior restoration and some touch-up, color sand and full detailing.

It's just starting the process, 'ya know? The paper, selling my car, advertising, people coming over to rive it, etc, etc. I am pretty high on this car though. Thanks for the words.

Very much too bad about your buddy that passed. They say we should all plan like we'll live forever and live like we'll die tomorrow. Not sure how that works, but I think I am going for it!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-29-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i get flamed when I start to talk about escapeability.

I think it would be easier to get out of a 911 than a 944. I spoke to Jim Shrager when my red S2 was stolen. In about two minutes he explained why it is cheaper to own a 911. spending one or two years as the caretaker of a one or two owner first generation 911 would be fun, and less $$ than being the caretaker of just about any 944.

I got a screamer of a deal on the gray S2. belts, labor for belts, rims & tires and now escape is possible, quick at what I paid, but not as easy as it would be with a 911.

Quick Reply: Cross Post - Found 71 911T Need Fast Advice - Long, sorry