Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross

A local shop just put out a '71 911T that the widow of the original owner has had sitting around for months since owner died. Shop bought it from widow, they are selling. Here's what I know:
-Odometer indicates 47,700+ miles. 3 page receipt for over $10,000 engine rebuild in 12/01 indicates mileage then was 45,200+ miles. So less than 3 years ago, less than 3K miles since! This shop is not familiar with the rebuild shop, but complimentary of the detailed work done.
-Reviewed receipts, it does not indicate replacement of P/C's (for THAT price?!) but everything else, valve guides, all main and rod bearings, case halves surfaced, align bored, you name it, it was done.
-Why would this be necessary IF it has 45,000 miles...or even 145,000 miles? It does have the chain tensioner upgrade, it does have the Carerra valve covers.
-There is an oil cooler in the right front wheel well (not original to T's, right?) but the fittings are AN's, Blue and Red anodized, though covered with ordinary road grime and were hard to notice.
-Original dark green (color name?, I love it)
-15" Fuchs,Yokohama Avid HR tires (??) w/ good rubber.
-Older Recaro seats, carpet is original, old and worn but not torn or abused.
-Has the flag mirrors "update" and a lame third brake light. Also, (I didn't know this) it has the covers below both doors along the sides, what are they called? This isn't original?
Undercarraige is almost pefectly dry. Some seepage at oil drain plug and some on bottom of oil tank, but all in all, this is a dry solid car to appearences.
-Car appears all original in and out except the pebbled undercoat around the wheel well lip is missing on the left front, all others are original. No rust of any kind I can find. Missing door stop from drivers door and appears has been over-opened so slight misalignment of door bottom, sticks out about 1/8 inch.
Missing front fog lights, but the openings are there. Is that normal?
- Has something called "Perma Tune" electronic ignition box in left side of engine compartment. An old MSD type approach?
-Zenith "40 TIN" carbs? Are these stock? They have obviously been recently rebuilt and it is in the receipt for the engine rebuild.
-VIN 9111102530
-Engine is dry, clean, hoses all fresh, fasteners not covered with any oil or dirt, the rebuild work still shows.
-"Cross bars" welded to top and bottom of rear bumperettes with upright chrome tubes that must have been for? Bike rack? Ski rack? All chromed, appears to be an old mod.
-Asking price $10,500.
-Car runs strong, transaxle has some howl for lack of a better term. No grinding, the usual vague (to me) 901 trans. I think with new headliner (stained, not torn), carpet kit, and general touch up, color sand and polish it would look great. Eventual high dollar paint job would make the car awesome. My interst is permanent ownership, stewardship, but I still think it is a good investment from a financial standpoint. It will replace my well sorted '87 944. Please advise must decide something very soon, it won't last.

Quick Reply: Cross