Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Herniated disk anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:02 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

We should start a support group for Rennlisters with bad necks... I knew there was a reason why I felt so at home here on Rennlist.

L4-5-6 fused, with disc replacement. Looking over my right shoulder is a challenge, to say the least, and so is looking up at the ceiling or down at my shoes. The plus side is that I no longer feel like I am being hit continuously with 15amps of 110V power.

I would do it again. Surgery isn't fun, but neither was the alternative, which was to become a quadrapalegic in a couple of years. I am dealing with the weakening of the areas around the fusion now, which will lead to my next set of problems. Sigh.

Regards,
Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brian call me 832 381 0156.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Stacy had a fusion done on her neck a few years back. Great results. Now just to get the rest of her back fixed. She has bulged disks from C2-C5. Herniated at L5-S1. I wonder how she gets around sometimes.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've got nothing on what Stacy has had to put up with. I forgot about all that. That's terrible of me. She's got a good heart, I know she won't hold it against me.

My biggest issue right now is getting the pressure off the pinched nerve. My hand always feels like it's waking up from being "asleep", and I'm tired of the tingles. Well, I'd like to sleep longer than 4 hours at a time, too. Waking up in a knot every morning has gotten tiresome.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:21 AM
Turtle256
Advanced

Brian,
That is one of the reasons I opted for the surgery. My legs would just go "asleep" all the time, also I would have my stupid back lock up which resulted in me not being able to move at all. Took a few "911" rides to the hospital for that. Since the surgery no lock ups and the numbness has gone away. As before I can't stress enough to ask, no demand, the Demoral!!!!! Give me whatever you don't use!!!

Turtle
Old 10-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, surgery should always be the last resort. You can never be guaranteed 100%, a positive outcome from surgery, and fusions definately end up throwing more stress somewhere else in the spine. Sometimes, you just don't have much choice but surgery. I'd be somewhat mindfull of the fact that taking narcotics for any lengthy period of time for pain control can and will make your body build somewhat a higher tolerance to them, thus when you do have a surgery, and need the pain control the most.......it may not be as effective. (just a thought). PT is always the first place to start, but realize that most of the time you have to incorporate it in your everyday routine in order for it to really work for any length of time. Spinal injections, chiropratic manipulation, and PT I've done. The only thing that I've always wanted to give a good try is accupuncture. I've heard some amazing things from this, but never have tried it. I know after my surgery coming up, I will check it out, if for no other reason than to see if it can help with arthritic symtoms associated with my back abuse. But I hear its not all that good for this type of thing. Research the blazes out of your condition (always ask the MD's, the common, and or medical terms/name for what they believe is the problem), so you can research it easier, and will be able to ask some really good questions of the medical people, and be much better prepared for whats to come. Getting thru the medical system is a game.......the more of it you understand, the easier and better things will go.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:46 AM
sweanders
Race Director

What I don't understand is what this thread is doing in the tech forums.

Please use the OT and if it doesn't fit then don't use Rennlist at all.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
What I don't understand is what this thread is doing in the tech forums.

Please use the OT and if it doesn't fit then don't use Rennlist at all.

Thank you for your input and support.

Check post 1 about "if it gets moved I'll understand". My peers are on this board, not the OT board. I've appreciated everyone's input to this point. I can't please everybody in this life, and today the lucky person is you.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I think its completely appropriate to post this one here, as it really shows the sense of "community" that the 944 boards have. Red1 has contributed to this specific community on a regular basis, and is looking for support from us. Thats one of the best uses of this forum I can think of, but thats just me. Its not like he's posting a link to some OT web site, posting pics of Grid Girls or making a political comment, which in my opinion, does belong on the OT forum.

Not flaming you for your opinion, sweanders, which is equally valid. Cheers!

Regards,
Old 10-27-2004, 11:35 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Red1
Thank you for your input and support.

Check post 1 about "if it gets moved I'll understand". My peers are on this board, not the OT board. I've appreciated everyone's input to this point. I can't please everybody in this life, and today the lucky person is you.
I recommend reading this as you seem to have forgotten all about it.

http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm
Old 10-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I think that the initial post says it all. It really difficult to post something in OT and get a response from people that you are normally exchanging with on the tech forums, because most people are tired of the political commentary. So he posted it here because he knows that those of us who would be interested or have feedback on his condition/question would be here. I'm sorry if it "pi$$es you off" that it's not in the OT section. Report it to John or Pete. Enough of the negatives.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Oh, BTW he knows the damn charter as well as anyone. So to post that is just plain assanine.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:48 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin Baker
I think that the initial post says it all. It really difficult to post something in OT and get a response from people that you are normally exchanging with on the tech forums, because most people are tired of the political commentary.
I don't understand in what why posting OT threads where it does not belong in any way stops the OT forum from getting less political.

If this thread was placed in the Off Topic forum that forum would immidiately be less political in proportion to what it is now.

If topic starters of threads similar to this one continues to treat OT like a Political only forum it will become that. I think that would be very sad since we then would get the worst outcome possible. OT crap everywhere and political stuff isolated.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin Baker
Oh, BTW he knows the damn charter as well as anyone. So to post that is just plain assanine.
He has paid to join a site agreeing to the charters and has agreed to follow them. If not doing that I find it highly ignorant.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Anders, there is logic to that. But I think Red1's intent was to get input from people that know him. Hence the initial "...if this gets moved...". I really don't frequent the OT forums due to all the political BS. The fact that it probably will get moved is fine, it was started here, he got some answers, and now it's done. Move it to OT and if anyone cares to follow up, let them search for it. If the topic had been started in OT, then IF there were any valid responses, it would have quickly dropped off the screen behind the latest incarnation of "Grid Girls" and "Bush lied" and "Kerry flipped again". Not that the topic would be out of place there, just not responded to with the same quick, honest, insightful answers he needed, and recieved here. I will also agree that IF anyone cared to make the OT forum less political, it would be up to US to do so. Just like PCA, the OT forum is what you make of it. Right now, its political bickering and name calling. After the election it will be all about the war, oil prices, and the conspiracy behind the election results.

Quick Reply: OT - Herniated disk anyone?