Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ball joints are these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ball joints are these?

I purchased these from a porsche mechanic who also runs a side business. He said he deosnt sell 944 stuff anymore, but had this set laying around he wanted to move. he mention something about these being an improvement on the turbo cup units, he said they are chrome molly, and brass. he gave em to me for 100. if you look closely, you can see a spiral design inside the brass fitting. he said they are from some good company out of florida and cost something like 250 usually. but forgot their name. I dunno if some of what he said was true, but they look like very good peices to me, so i bought them, I would like to identify them, and get any feedback from you guys on them as well, good or bad.
~Eyal
Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be the SSI Auto ball joint kit.

http://www.ssiauto.com

Click on "Porsche," click on "Performance" and you'll see it.

Travis at Rennbay.com will be offering a similar but more complete kit shortly.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Eyal, that is a great kit. Make life a little easier on yourself and order a set of new circlips from Travis. Those are the one thing that SSI does not include in the kit that makes installation and any future removal a nicer thing........
Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bronze bushings need zerk fittings unless you feel like repacking them by hand once a year (at least).

http://www.rennbay.com/BJPLT.html
Old 10-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Travis, how often should the zerk fittings be greased with bronze bushings vs. plastic?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

travis, I just bought them from you, now how exactly do they help? I actually know almost nothing about ball joints, I have never done em before, though I'm sure with some instruction sheets and some good grease, I'll manage... Now, will there be any actual noticeably difference in anything about the way the car handles or not? The main reason i went for it is cause i dont want to pop out a ball joint at the track.
thanks guys...
BTW, Luis, That dealership pretty much says they already gave me the part that we are still waiting on, (both you and I KNOW they haven't, man I hate stealerships) and wont get me another one, can you give me the part number, and I'll just go ahead and buy it from another dealer out of my pocket, since you have already paid? Also, did you say you had a shipping account? PM me all that info, and I'll have that stuff for you soon. Sorry and thanks!
~Eyal
~Eyal
Old 10-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

For regular street driving on solid upper bushings I would say they should be checked every 30 - 60 days. Just pop the grease gun on there and make sure there is pressure at the handle.
The rennbay aluminum bronze bushing kits (which should be out the first of next week) have a few extra provisions to help the greasing of the top bushing. In the chromolly ball pins that are included in the new kits we have incorporated an internal grease passage system that brings the grease directly to the upper bushing where it is needed most. The addition of this feature will help to insure the grease is going where it is supposed to be and thus the ball joints will not have to be greased by hand as often. More details to come on Monday.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Eyal,
Got the order. I will include the retaining rings and seals as well with the plates/zerk fittings.

The plates with zerk fittings let you grease the joint from the outside of the arm without having to take the ball joint apart again. You just slide under the car and give them a few pumps with the grease gun every now and then. Thus, non-serviceable ball joints become serviceable.

We have an install tutorial on rennbay if you would like to take a look. If you have any questions about the install of the kit or plates just drop me an email or give me a call.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

You know what Travis, in this list I lifted from you deluxe kit, what else do I or should I need for a complete install?

Polyurethane Boots (not necassary, but looks cool?)
Spiral Retaining Rings (need these?
Seal rings (these too?)
Grease (what grease, is it good stuff, i could just have that thrown in)
Glass-filled Polymer Bushings (I don't need these right?)
Zerk fittings and Caps (already paid for)
Lower Plates (?)
Lower Springs (??)
5 min. Epoxy (need it right?)
10.9 Grade Pinch Bolts (10.9 grade? throw a set of these in too!)
Long Shaft Ball Pins (dont need it)

I know thats a weird post, but it gets the questions across the easiest, what from there do you recomend? I bought the zirk peices, just dont process that until I pay for the rest of the stuff too!
~Eyal
Old 10-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The springs in your joints should be ok
I am throwing in the seal rings and the retaining rings with your plates
I recommend "super lube" made by loc-tite for the grease (the grease in the kits is just installation grease for the plastic bushings),
The epoxy is a good addition to the kits (you need some whether you get it here or local)
the pinch bolts are a grate addition to the kit as well and you should pick a set of them up.

Whatever you want extra just add it up and send it paypal to "paypal@rennbay.com" so you don't pay for shipping twice. Just make a note of what it is you do want with the payment.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

allright, the epoxy and the bolts seem like all i need more? you think the spring will have survived until now?
on another note, your power steering kits only supply seals right? I blew a hose a while ago, seems to be like one that would cost about 120, and requires me to drop the x member... thrilling, you woulndt happen to supply such things right? or recomend a place that does?
~Eyal
P.S. Paypal sent! thanks for all your help!
P.S.S. Now should I expect any type of differences after i do this, or will it feel the same?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
BTW, Luis, That dealership pretty much says they already gave me the part that we are still waiting on, (both you and I KNOW they haven't, man I hate stealerships) and wont get me another one, can you give me the part number, and I'll just go ahead and buy it from another dealer out of my pocket, since you have already paid? Also, did you say you had a shipping account? PM me all that info, and I'll have that stuff for you soon. Sorry and thanks!~Eyal
Eyal, don't sweat it, buddy! The bad news is, they took so long that it's too late now for the part to be of any use to me as I'm away from the car right now. The good news is that I'm presently in Europe, so I can easily order another hub spacer from my local dealer. Thanks for all the trouble you went through on my account.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Now should I expect any type of differences after i do this, or will it feel the same?
That depends on how bad your current ball joints are. If they are worn you will feel a major difference.

Quick Reply: What ball joints are these?