Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted to Buy: performance chip for 89 N/A 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy for you to say. Look at those cars in your sig
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
Easy for you to say. Look at those cars in your sig

Your point?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Markus Blaszak
Blaszak Precision Motorsports
Inverary, Ontario, Canada
www.geocities.com/blaszak_precision/
613-353-7012

Chips are cheap, guaranteed and are made by someone who does nothing BUT work on 944's.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:41 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M758
Your point?
not everyone is made of money
Old 10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by slowazzporsche
not everyone is made of money

What does that have to do with 0-60 times?

... PS made of money is relative term. I have less money in all my 944's (execpt my 944 race car) than most folks have in their modded 951's.

My race car has a bit of money in it, but I did all the wrenching myself except for a corner balance so it did not cost that much.

Still what does this have to do with a chip in an 89 944?

There was talk about importance of 0-60 and how a chip makes that faster? Well so what if changed the red-line to get to 60 in second and saved a shift?

Bottomline is that only a few hp will be gained from a chip and that difference is hardly noticable on the street. If fact I'd bet that more performance would be gained from basic maintence than a chip.

But folks still think chips are so great. Hey I do run one in my 944 race car. Why? Firstly it is legal, second because 2-3 hp is valuable to me when all the cars have with in 5-10 hp of each other, and it was a cheap left over from a friend. I got it cheap and gave a friend some money to offset some his expenses.

I would not consider a chip on my daily driver. Nothing to be gained really as 2-3 hp is not going to make ANY differece on the public roads.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

well, for those of us with limited funds i.e own 1/2 cars and not an army of them.. something like a chip, cams, full exhaust, intake.. etc. that's what we do to our n/a's... we don't have the $1500+ to put out for a good 951 motor then the week or so it would take to swap it in. not to mention the other parts you'd need and the space to do it. the chip is only 200-300 u.s, simple installation and gains of 10 bhp, 15 torque and that cold shudder gone.. it's worth it IMHO.

a place in the UK with the chips --> http://www.essentialstyling.com/944_...ance_chips.htm

another UK dealer ---> http://www.promax.uku.co.uk/promaxchip.htm

and here's the one I'd reccomend (considering he's a rennlist member and is local (north america) mr. FR Wilk's site --->http://frwilk.com/944dme/of.htm
Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think 10bhp and 15ftlbs of extra tq from a chip is a bit optimistic, honestly. That's a 7% increase in hp on a normally aspirated car. I think aftermarket chips are a nice purchase for n/a cars, but we need to be realistic about the benefits.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:07 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

that's bhp though.. not to the wheels.. I asked mr wilk himself and he said right around those #'s
Old 10-29-2004, 02:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by slowazzporsche
well, for those of us with limited funds i.e own 1/2 cars and not an army of them.. something like a chip, cams, full exhaust, intake.. etc. that's what we do to our n/a's... we don't have the $1500+ to put out for a good 951 motor then the week or so it would take to swap it in. not to mention the other parts you'd need and the space to do it. the chip is only 200-300 u.s, simple installation and gains of 10 bhp, 15 torque and that cold shudder gone.. it's worth it IMHO.
Well my guess is if you are of limited funds certaily don't waste money that stuff. The power that you do gain is so small that it means you just threw that money away. Better to spend that same $1000 on repairs or preventative maintence. A chip in a turbo is one thing. To me a chip in NA is just not worth the dollars. A chip for $50 to $100 maybe.

That 10 hp and 15 torque will not happen from a chip alone. I had a friend dnyo test a number of chips on his 944-spec car. He spent money looking for that HP. What did he find? 2-3 hp and that was about it for all the chips he tested. He found that stock in take works the best too. Unfortunalty I do not have access to any of those dyno charts. I do have access to a back-to-back Stock vs FrWilk dyno chart. This is insightfull since you can see the actual impact of that chip. Noticeable on the race track, but never on the street and not even close to he 10 hp he claims. Why was less than claimed? Not sure.

The reason I get so worked-up about chips is that folks say they are so great and add so much power and are worth the $200 to $600 people spend on them. Well it is simply not true. Chips are not going to give you Mad power. They probably won't even give you any noticeable power. Heck you will probably have greater difference in accleration if you have an empty tank of gas vs full tank with a passenger. Is that really worth spending $500 for?

Then of course not being able to spend that $500 on simple things like shocks or a timing belt job. But hey it has chip and makes 2 more HP
Old 10-29-2004, 08:06 PM
robinhood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree. I bought a chip, the expensive source, FRWilk.com, and it made a very nice difference. The whole power band in my 944 feels solid. Previously, I could feel the power feel change as I went up through the revs. I got the package that has a switch on it that allows me to go back to the standard mode. I believe that it had to have a hp increase since I could feel it in the seat of my pants. Not the have to change my underware change, but definately pulled harder and reved faster and much smoother. I would compare the solid feel like the time I got to ride in a 911 at the race track and immediately noticed how solid everything felt. Many different upgrades that I've added have given me that new solid feeling in different parts of the car. I love this upgrade reward... And as you add more other things to the car, and driveline and engine, this chip ungrade will actually make more of a contribution (i.e., if you go to the aluminum flywheel, or go with a transaxle that is rebuilt with a higher final drive ratio, or if you clean up the intake side of the engine, including some minor porting around the manifold/head area). It part of the fun. A lot of little steps can make a great difference. Plus you get the added reliability that comes with putting new parts in place of old parts.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus you get the added reliability that comes with putting new parts in place of old parts.
You're joking right? I mean yeah, every day 944 chipsets fail....see it ALL the time...whatever. If you think it makes a difference then terrific, but the dyno charts say that it doesnt. I will take a dyno chart over generic opinion any day.

315 & 275 'Pilots', Cup II wheels
Can you post a picture or send me one? I would LOVE to know how you managed to get a 275 on the front Cup II wheel (at 7.5" wide) and then I would be all over knowing how you managed to fit a 315 (on a 9" wide wheel) not only on the wheel but in the fender well.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:02 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

everything i have heard from those who have the wilk chip say they notice a difference. that plus the dyno charts that M758 has posted has convinced me to spend the 200 bucks - but that is all I would spend for the gain.

The 2 HP and 3.5 ftlb of torque is welcome - and from what I see on the charts - the wilk chip appears to have optimized the stock fuel map.

when your in an n/a your looking for anything reasonable to get more power, and it is usually found in combination. every "Upgrade" i have made to my car to date has allowed me to drive it faster.
suspension, tires, brakes, dropping weight, short shift, throttle cam, and soon to be chip - the car is definately "faster" than when it was "stock". I also agree that money spent on the driver will make the car go faster too.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H

Can you post a picture or send me one? I would LOVE to know how you managed to get a 275 on the front Cup II wheel (at 7.5" wide) and then I would be all over knowing how you managed to fit a 315 (on a 9" wide wheel) not only on the wheel but in the fender well.
I think those huge-azz, heavy wheels just negated any added accelleration value a chip would give, honestly.

Quick Reply: Wanted to Buy: performance chip for 89 N/A 944