Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger setup for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Actually, it depends on application. In some cases high compression and low boost is better, depends on what you are looking for. The answer to 944Js question is effective CR, BTW. Additinally with an SC it would require a different size and really style pulley to get a whole lot more boost.
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:09 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Nobody really helped me out here. Would this be applicable to my 3.0 S2? I haven't heard back from him yet. I have a bone stock 3.0 motor with 122,000 miles, new water pump and timing belt, and all maintenance done 6 months ago. Engine runs like new and the car in my opinion just needs more power. Some of you guys may know me around here. I have the custom white cabrio. Looking for more power.

Help me out here guys. Thanks
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

If it would work you would have to lose the ac
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Why would I need to loose the AC? I thought this was a Huntley system which keeps the AC?
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:17 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

umm....what he said...why lose the AC ?

but also is this for an 8 valve verses a 16 valve ? nevermind...it's for an '85..DOH
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:17 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Indeed, I stand corrected.

For those of you who may be interested, I know the seller personally and I would have no problem giving him 1500 bucks. Hell, he has borrowed numerous parts from me, always returned promptly.
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:44 PM
jp944
Pro

Except for that door handle I still owe you, right? Thanks for the vote of confidence, Matt.

I just got in and saw this. I think the intake is different enough that some modification would need to be made to make it work on an S2. I'm not sure if the bracket mounting points would be the same either. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't offer a guarantee that it will bolt up.

This kit is and isn't a Huntley kit. It is one of the Huntley development kits, so it isn't as pretty as some of the later kits. If you want bling under the hood, this isn't the one for you. That's part of the reason most of it is painted flat black. The kit spent a few track hours on Tim Comeau's red car. The dyno sheets that Huntley posted on their old site were the sheets of this kit on Tim's car. I'll include everything needed to bolt it up. The plumbing is a tight fit, but it fit with a MAF sensor and cone filter. I'm guessing the AFM would fit in the same orientation as well.

As to the other question, absolutely you could boost it up to 270 WHP. SFR has done this, but the problem is that you normally put smaller pulleys on the SC to make more boost. A 3" pulley is pretty small...any smaller and you start getting belt slip. The solution would be to keep the 3" SC pulley and overdrive the crank pulley. Then underdrive the PS and alternator pulleys. There are a few places around that do custom pulleys that could setup a high boost pulley system. The other downside is the faster you spin the blower, the more heat you'll generate. Even with the intercooler, water/alcohol injection wouldn't be a bad idea if you're running a ton of boost.
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Matt, I am very interested but I'm trying to get answers from the guys on this board who know all about this stuff.

I need to know of any reliability issues he had,

why he is selling,

what other components will I need to get this on an S2,

and if anybody around here has ever run a huntley kit *this is a huntley kit right?* on an S2.

by the way, did huntley go out of business? And did you buy this from Huntley? Is it his test unit?
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

LOL, you got that post in just before me.

here is what I want.

I don't want to make gobs of power, I just want to make at least 250hp to the wheels and I'll be happy.

I don't want to go crazy with all kinds of boost as I want the car to be drivable. While this is not my daily driver it is my cream puff and I take it to NY, NJ on a regular basis and need it to be reliable.

Will I loose reliability? Is there any way to get the Horsepower I'm looking for *250/260*rwhp with this kit? Or do I have to go ***** to the wall? If so I wouldn't want that.

I am a serious buyer so please respond any way you feel is appropriate *email or here*

The basic question is is this kit applicable to a stock 3.0 S2 and how will it affect the car. I know there hasn't been a supercharging debate in a while so lets get one rolling.
Old 10-25-2004 | 11:57 PM
jp944
Pro

I had no reliability issues, only driveability issues - specifically idle. I finally got that worked out by adding the plumbing for an idle stabilizer valve and bumping the idle speed up to around 1050 RPM.

I don't need to have two cars that I'm constantly poking at. The turbo is by definition a target for my constant poking. I'm getting a promotion that will require more drive time weekly, and I want to put at least one of the cars back to near stock for daily driver duties. The supercharger always called to me, telling me to take the car apart...more boost....water injection....change the exhaust...chip me...etc. I need to keep her together for work, so I pulled the SC. Maybe I won't be so tempted to monkey with it now.

Whoever buys this, I'll include the turbo injectors and 3 bar FPR. It is running a bit rich at the moment, so I'd suggest an A/F gauge and try keeping your 2.5BAR FPR. It will probably be about spot on. Danno might have some to contribute on the subject. I'm getting around the richness with a Link piggyback.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^OK, hopefully some of the pros on this board will see this thread soon and help me out. If so I'll buy it off you.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:13 AM
jp944
Pro

As to the HP, I don't know. I never dyno'd it on my car and I don't have the dyno sheet from when it was on Tim's car. Again, I'm pretty sure it would take some modification of the manifold at least to get it to fit an S2.

The only thing I can guarantee is that yes, you will lose reliability and driveability. That is true of any performance mod, but especially true of something as drastic as forced induction. I never had a breakdown because of the SC system. I never saw any abnormal wear that could be attributed to the SC system. For reliability and driveability, you can't beat stock. That's part of why I'm selling it. The more you add, the more problems you can create. I've seen your car and it is beautiful. This ugly race setup may not be ideal for you.

This is a kit that is ideal for someone who is a good wrench and doesn't care what the engine bay looks like. I don't want anyone to think they can bolt this on in an hour and the car will act just as it did before but faster.

I'm an awesome salesman, huh?
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:16 AM
jp944
Pro

In looking at some pics, I don't think this is do-able for the S2. There just isn't enough room for a roots blower. A better setup for you would be a centrifugal blower like Speedforceracing or andersonmotorworks sell. (please don't turn this into a vendor debate...we all have our faves and peeves).
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:47 AM
jp944
Pro

BTW folks, the price is negotiable and might even be open to trades.
Old 10-26-2004 | 03:25 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^Damn that is a bummer. Thanks for the compliments. I love the car and the 0 to 60 is great, in fact I don't really need any power on the street. I was hoping to add highway horsepower. I would like to press the gas while in fifth and take off.

I wish I could build a killer NA motor with 260 RWHP with reliability. Is this even possible to build an NA with that type of power? I mean, the japanese wankel and the S2000 make that type of power NA.

What is Anderson motor works website? I heard they make some pretty kick *** NA motors that are street drivable. Thanks

Quick Reply: Supercharger setup for sale