Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so our radiators DO have a drain plug...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:38 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day Nickhance and I reassembled my old 951's engine I stripped the drain plug, causing it to split in half. Luckily, half of the plug stayed in there so I could drive the car for a few days until the new one came in. We had worked 16 straight hours without a break at that point, having already stripped and re-tapped a head bolt, so it would have been devastating if a plastic drain plug halted our completion. On a lighter note I must say it is always a good idea to have an extra one lying around.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:45 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass944
im pretty sure the drain plug is made out of plastic so that it will brake every time you take it out. your probly thinking thats stupid but at the same time it makes sure that the threads in your radiator break NO times. because replacing that would be a sucky sucky thing.
That is true until the PO replaces it with a metal bolt and then uses gorilla torque to tighten it. Mine is stripped and held in with sealer. Arghhh!
Old 10-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dualblade
any of you have a "why the heck did they do this" p.o. story to share?
This needs its own thread! Stuff my car's PO did (I grew up with the guy and it still makes me wonder...):

- Rear hatch window broke so he got a new hatch. No rear wiper to this one (or he took it out), so he cuts the harness to the motor, cuts the wiring at the hatch but doesn't remove any of it, takes out the switch and cuts the wiring there too, and doesn't cover the hole with a dummy plate.
- Doing this he forgot where the ashtray light went so he cut the wires out.
- He also couldn't get the light for the clock back in. Light and socket gone, the wires are still there at least. Didn't bother plugging in half the wiring in the center panel and console anyway.
- Finally, blew the timing belt, fixed the head, got and installed the parts without using any special tools at all (no flywheel lock, no belt tensioner, no flat wrenches, no instructions!). He doesn't test it out by turning the engine by hand first. So the timing belt snaps and valves bend again the 1st time he turns the key. Then he got frustrated and sold the car for $500.
- He didn't want to sell the radio though so he broke out the wire cutters and cut it out.
- For some reason he or the one before him decided to take off the "S" so the car just says 924. I found a new one at least.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:32 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

The factory drain plug sucks.

It leaves a lot of crud in the bottom of the radiator. And it makes a mess when you drain the coolant - because it either shoots out or dribbles straight down on to the wire looms for the cooling fans.

Having tried both ways, I prefer the lower radiator hose.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMAX
The spares guy at the Porsche Center in Sydney told me that they weren't available not even from Germany. I thought it was a bit strange but i had to accept it.
I wish I had the spares resources that you guys have over there.
Standard line when they'd rather sell a complete rad!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:32 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

When i was replacing my regulator arm for the driver side window i found that someebody used elctrical tape instead of soldering a wire that controls the side view mirrors. I just covered em up so i wouldn't get a short. I am gonna solder eventually...

Quick Reply: so our radiators DO have a drain plug...