Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While you're in there - clutch job (and fairfield, ct area people plz read)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:25 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question While you're in there - clutch job (and fairfield, ct area people plz read)

Well, Im planning on taking my car into the shop pretty soon to get the timing belt retensioned (1500 mile retensioning) and have the clutch replaced (old rubber one -- car has the shakes). Its an 84 944 n/a. Also, I had a question about the temp gauge (posted a few days ago) which seems like its nothing but Ill prob just have them look to dbl check.

Are there any while your in there small things that I should have done while theyre doing the clutch? And would it be better to order the sachs spring centered clutch off paragon, or let the shop put one in, or get from ________? I assume either way I should get the spring centered. Would it be cheaper to get it from paragon ($550 i think) or through the shop? Any input would be great.

Finally, I'm from long island, but right now im at school in Fairfield, CT. If i was home, or decide to go home, ive been recommended to use RPM Racing out in huntington station. However, I was wondering if anyone from the Fairfield area could recommend a good local shop so I could get it done up here. One person recommend Speedsport Tuning in Norwalk, CT. Has anyone used this shop, or know any other nearby ones that they can recommend?

Thanks In Advance, and feel free to throw in any info so I dont forget.

-Scott
Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Adam H
Pro

I believe the rear main seal should be done along with the clutch. I'm not sure about specific clutches, but buying from Paragon or another online supplier will undoubtedly save you money.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:58 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

What replacement clutch does everyone here recommend? and where should i get it/whats it cost?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

definately the rms while you're in there

it's almost always cheaper to buy parts yourself than to have the shop get them.

why not tackle the project yourself? i'd give you a hand if you wanted

also, don't forget the clutch is adjustable. perhaps it just needs adjustment instead of replacement
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure when you buy the clutch kit that all of the compenents are true sachs parts. Some companies that we have delt with before, from customers at the shop i worked at ordered theirs from *cough cough* vertex and got a generic disc... They did replace it but it seems like you really need to be careful, as long as its all real sachs spring centered stuff then you are good.
Also replace: pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, machine the flywheel, and some say new flywheel bolts. I would agree, if you have some mechanical knowledge do it yourself, its really not as hard as some make it out to be. Release lever shaft is the most difficult part.
good luck!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
make sure when you buy the clutch kit that all of the compenents are true sachs parts. Some companies that we have delt with before, from customers at the shop i worked at ordered theirs from *cough cough* vertex and got a generic disc... They did replace it but it seems like you really need to be careful, as long as its all real sachs spring centered stuff then you are good.
Also replace: pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, machine the flywheel, and some say new flywheel bolts. I would agree, if you have some mechanical knowledge do it yourself, its really not as hard as some make it out to be. Release lever shaft is the most difficult part.
good luck!
also, if buying hardware (since you included flywheel bolts), don't forget to get new axle bolts. this is assuming you're going tranny out instead of engine out method. you only need to get the tranny side bolts - the axles don't have to come off the wheels
Old 10-22-2004, 09:48 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Dualblade... i wish this was something i could do myself, because i barely have the money to cover what the shop bill is going to be. But i have next to no mechanical knowledge.. so this is a job i have to have someone do for me.

Also, seems like I should order the parts from online.. is paragon the best bet? also, does anyone have the parts list for the clutch and everything else you recommend replacing? thx!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:18 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
I would agree, if you have some mechanical knowledge do it yourself, its really not as hard as some make it out to be. good luck!
especially with the engine out of the car
Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Adam H
Pro

Paragon seems to be an excellent choice. I'm sure that they will be more than glad to help make sure you get all required/recommended parts, too.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:53 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
Dualblade... i wish this was something i could do myself, because i barely have the money to cover what the shop bill is going to be. But i have next to no mechanical knowledge.. so this is a job i have to have someone do for me.

Also, seems like I should order the parts from online.. is paragon the best bet? also, does anyone have the parts list for the clutch and everything else you recommend replacing? thx!
lol, barely having the money to cover the shop bill is half the reason for doing it yourself! you may not have the mechanical knowledge but i do and would be willing to help out. if you like to wrench or would like to learn how then i don't mind helping. if you just want nothing to do with it then go ahead with the shop. as soon as my engine comes out of the car, the car can come out of the garage for a bit so yours can go in if you want. just supply the pizza and beer and parts.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skoot, see my comments on the other clutch thread on where to buy the parts for cheap. You really need to buy the Lindsey Racing misc. parts kit for all the stuff that should be replaced but doesn't come in the Sacks clutch kit.

The only problem with your approach is whether the shop will let you supply parts. Some shops will, some don't, and others will, grudgingly. And then they won't give any warranty - they will just blame any subsequent problem on the $hit parts you gave them. So better talk to the shop and see what they have to say. It is not too hard to knock 50% off the parts cost when you look at suggested retail prices which may be what the shop will charge you.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:35 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

dualblade.. i would be fine with something like that .. i would love to be able to do my own wrenching but i never grew up around anyone that did so i never learned anything. If you would be willing to spend time helping/teaching id be more than willing to follow instructions. Thats about all the help i could offer though. The next problem is space .. i do not have a clean garage to work in or a big, flat back yard. Its a rough driveway and its sloped on one side. I figure of a job like this those arent exactly ideal conditions. Finally, im away at school, but i could come home for a friday - sunday. Again, im not sure if that would be enough time. Ive heard estimated from 9-14 hrs for the job. How long would you expect the job would take (i feel bad putting people out, especially for such long periods of time)?

Ok.. i rambled (again). So basically, id love to learn to do this, however i dont have the knowledge or the space (or any not-so common tools that porsche seems to love to use). If you would still like to help, i would love it. The experience and the price difference would be amazing! We could probably find anotherperson or two in the area to come by too if wanted/needed. Lemme know what ya think.

-Scott
Old 10-22-2004, 09:36 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SKooT1027
dualblade.. i would be fine with something like that .. i would love to be able to do my own wrenching but i never grew up around anyone that did so i never learned anything. If you would be willing to spend time helping/teaching id be more than willing to follow instructions. Thats about all the help i could offer though. The next problem is space .. i do not have a clean garage to work in or a big, flat back yard. Its a rough driveway and its sloped on one side. I figure of a job like this those arent exactly ideal conditions. Finally, im away at school, but i could come home for a friday - sunday. Again, im not sure if that would be enough time. Ive heard estimated from 9-14 hrs for the job. How long would you expect the job would take (i feel bad putting people out, especially for such long periods of time)?

Ok.. i rambled (again). So basically, id love to learn to do this, however i dont have the knowledge or the space (or any not-so common tools that porsche seems to love to use). If you would still like to help, i would love it. The experience and the price difference would be amazing! We could probably find anotherperson or two in the area to come by too if wanted/needed. Lemme know what ya think.

-Scott
you're welcome to invite friends over and use my garage if you'd like. i did my clutch job myself so i know that we can both handle it. actually, i have alot of trouble working with many people because i don't tend to think in that fashion. i start by looking at the two points - where i am and where i'm trying to get to. then i just keep taking off parts until i get where i'm supposed to. working in such a linear fashion works well for me but i don't know how to utilize several people.

i actually started out like you, about 3 years ago. i knew i was going to enjoy cars and i knew i'd like working on them but i wasn't sure how to get the knowledge. i realized it wasn't going to just fall into my lap so i'd have to force the issue. i bought my porsche for 2 reasons: i knew it was going to be fun to drive (this was just a guess as i didn't know how to drive stick when i bought it), and i knew that the car was far too expensive to get a garage to work on so i'd have to learn how to do the work myself. sure sounds nuts but it worked and now i'm in the process of tearing apart my engine. my very first car job (not on my car) was spending a saturday helping a friend install an engine and transmission into a car. it wasn't until half a year later that i did my first oil change!

the most important thing is that we have absolutely everything ready if you want to make it in one weekend. by the end you will be tired, sore, cut, greasy beyond belief, probably cold (no heat in the garage). if this sounds appealing to you then it will be one hell of a weekend. i like the experience of working on a job, not just finishing it, so i bear all the bad stuff proudly like battle scars. i'm almost impossible to anger, and a reasonably good teacher so i'm probably a good person to work on a long job with. if you are serious about doing this, lets talk on im or on the phone and get a solid parts list together so you can do some ordering.

oh, and come to tobay beach on sunday for the last autocross of the season. great way to see cars doing what they're meant to do. if you want, we can do parts and pizza after that

edit: i just want to say that you should have some sort of backup plan if we can't get the car done in the weekend. you never know when murphy's law will pop up and give us the finger, and this is a complex enough job that it's best to plan around it. it wouldn't be the first "clutch job weekend" that didn't make the sunday deadline.

Last edited by dualblade; 10-22-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:52 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Also replace the release shaft bearings, they are pretty cheap.

I bought a spring center clutch kit from Paragon for my 83. It had good quality parts - Sachs clutch and pressure plate, SKF bearings, etc.

This is not a particularly difficult job, but it is involved and takes a long time. Probably not a job for a beginner. But if you can find some knowledgeable help, it is do-able.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:05 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

dualblade.. sounds like a plan to me. im more than willing, and if it takes more than a weekend for whatever reason i could get a ride back to school and home the following weekend. Maybe ill have a friend ride down w me each way incase and just take in some knowledge too cause hes a big car fan like i am and looking for places to aquire any info he can (plus hes wanted to take the 944 out for a spin so thisll be a little leverage.. tell him last chance before i get the clutch fixed haha) . Ill send u a PM w some info. thanks!!

Quick Reply: While you're in there - clutch job (and fairfield, ct area people plz read)