Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed power steering and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:10 AM
unreal_news
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removed power steering and...

I removed the power steering belt, and Ild like to actually remove as much of the power steeering parts as possible (lines, and motor would be nice at a minimum, and that brown resivoir behind the passenger headlight looks suspect too). anyone forsee issues with doing this?

thx,
-john
Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there are issues.

If you delete all the hoses and that tank and such, you would be running the power rack dry. This will ruin the seals and such very fast, thus youd be in with no return and ruin the rack should you ever want to return to manual sometime soon.

Im running my power steering without the belt and with the fluid topped up, no problems so far.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Im running my power steering without the belt and with the fluid topped up, no problems so far.
Edge,

How difficult is it to turn the wheel at slow & fast speeds with your set-up? I might have to remove the p/s belt as well due to a leak at the rack.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Edge,

How difficult is it to turn the wheel at slow & fast speeds with your set-up? I might have to remove the p/s belt as well due to a leak at the rack.
It was a workout at first, but now I honestly dont really notice or get bothers by it. It IS hard though. I hated parrallel parking anyway, now I have a better excuse not to do it
Old 11-11-2004, 10:08 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the "test stage" before going truly manual steering -- pretty new rack, but a badly leakly hose somewhere -- I just have the belt removed until I decide what to do. This is on a street car, and I'm finding that a disabled power steering is a serious pain -- I used to be able to parallel park like a pro, but I park like a grandma. Parallel parking on a hill? Forget it! Tight city manuevering is also a pain (like briskly going around a city corner). Is there something I'm missing -- or is it really that tough? I like the response on the freeway, but I'm leaning towards going back to power steering.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:51 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

There's a big difference between a true manual rack and a power rack thats being run without power assist. The manual rack, as long as you aren't running huge rubber upfront, gives very nice feedback with a reasonable amount of effort. A power rack being run manually is a PITA in my opinion.

Regards,

Quick Reply: removed power steering and...