Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 951 Woes

Hi there, wondering if any can help me? I have a 951 S which has been chipped and wastegate shimmed to produce around 300hp. I have recently fiited a boost enhancer and have noticed a popping sound under full throttle, I am not sure what boost the engine is running as I bought the car already modified, the sound almost sounds like detonation or pinging but it is more like a ' POP' noise, any clues, anybody?
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:38 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

do you still have the catalytic converter in place?if not that would be normal because of the chips your running.what type of chips are they?if you dont know what boost your running,i would suggest getting one,theyre fairly cheap.also try changing your spark plugs to a heat range colder than stock.BTW, welcome to rennlist!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:53 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Wayne,
The cat converter is still in place and I really don't know what chipset has been used as I have no paperwork but I will try the spark plug idea, and after taking the car for a run I am reading 2bar on the boost gauge at full noise, any ideas
thanks
Scott
Old 10-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like popcorn popping? If so that's your headgasket about to go as your pinging due to too much boost and not enough fuel. Turn the boost down now beofre something goes BOOM.

My guess is that it probably had the banjo bolt jetted with APE chips, and now you've added the boost enhancer and are over boosting. Pull the banjo bolt that is in the intercooler pipe, and see if there is a small carb jet in it. If yes, remove your boost enhancer or the jet, because your doubling up on boost control. Then get a real boost gauge installed so you can really see how much your running. Most chips are rated for 15 psi MAX, if you exceed that, your asking for trouble.

Wecome to boost addiction!!!!
My name is Jason and I'm an addict.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jason.

If the car was already chipped with a shimmed wastegate, it SHOULD have a boost enhancer included with that package. It's not the shimmed wastegate and chips that makes the extra 50hp - it's the added boost. The modifed chips and wastegate are only there to allow that extra boost to work properly. Does that make any sense? I would not be surprised if you have a banjo bolt setup in there.. you gotta remove that and just use the boost enhancer that you bought set to 15psi or so. (Ideally the boost enhancer should be matched to the chips)

find out what kind of chips they are
Old 10-19-2004, 04:15 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the others said, you may be running way too much boost with that setup. (shimmed gate/stock CV, boost enhancer)
I found that I simply could not use the boost enhancer inline with the stock CV (cyling valve) and shimmed wastegate. Even threaded out to the minimum setting, I was getting some boost spikes above 15psi.
Either bypass the CV and run the enhancer & shims(OK), or just forget the enhancer. I found the enhancer did nothing with my shimmed wastegate anyways.
BTW - I was getting 15psi just with the shimmed gate.

Best setup is to bypass the CV, forget the enhancer, and just get a good manual controller (reliaboost, accuboost) or an electric one($$$) with your shimmed gate.

Quick Reply: 951 Woes