Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter installed...ahhh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:16 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Short Shifter installed...ahhh!

My mechanic installed my short shifter from 944Racing. Charged me $80 for the hour labor (well worth it).

When I first tried the shifter, what immediately stood out was the tightness and heftier feel of the shifter--like a much heavier spring was put in there! I shifted into reverse, and thought "this can't be reverse...it must be 4th gear"--because of how short the shifts are now! It was reverse.

Shifting through the gears on the road, I am amazed at how different the car feels! Solid, almost notchy, precise shifts compared to soft, bland shifts before. The shifter action is harder, in a good way. No more shifting with 3 fingers...you need to pop it into gear with a little more umph--click, click!

All I can say is unless you like weak, long throw shifts, get one of these shifters! Way more precise and solid feeling!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes! it is quite a different feel when you first start driving.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is, but you get used to it. Then you go drive a normal stick shift car or anyother 944 and say "man, the shifts are SO long!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:18 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Anyone using it with a shorter shift lever? How do the two feel together?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just had installed the "Ultimate" shift kit from Speed 6 racing ($225). Includes the shaft and the short lever.
I have mixed opinions: I wish I could have installed one at a time to see the difference between having one without the other - I would recommend this for you! Even though it is more labor costs!
Leverage is sometimes a good thing! You do get better leverage from a taller shaft and I'm guessing better engagement. I'm using a bit more force to shift. My **** is almost engulfed into my shift boot because it's so short.
See pic.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/interior_copy20.jpg
Old 10-12-2004, 07:11 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Originally Posted by KenC
My **** is almost engulfed into my shift boot because it's so short
Mine is almost the same way, maybe even shorter. I took a dremel to my shifter and installed the 3/8 stainless bolt replacement with delrin bushings and locking nut with locktite. Shifter is immensely tighter, and the 1.25" i removed from the height is helpful, but i wish i didn't do as much thou, as i will be installing the short shift kit that fits on the trans soon. I hope it will work out well.

My biggest gripe thou is that i think i want to go back to the stock shift boot/****. I could replace the shift lever with a stock one and just re-do the 3/8 bolt mod with bushings and locking nut to make it tighter longer.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter installed...ahhh!