Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 Turbo 2nd & 4th gears hard to engage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004 | 03:34 AM
TroppoShark
Racer

Default 924 Turbo 2nd & 4th gears hard to engage.

Here in Oz I've been offered a moderately priced '80 931. [RoW 924 Turbo]

The main problem with it seems to be that 2nd and 4th gears are a little difficult to engage. No doubt the synchros are worn, but I'm wondering if this might also be a linkage problem, because the two difficult gears are those that are both pushed away from the driver...

Anyone know if it's likely that this is linkage caused?

I have no experience with the 924 Turbo, and have not yet had the chance to drive this one, but am passing on the owner's description. He's been straight-shooting with me.

He also says that 1st gear can only be engaged when the car is at a stop, which I don't have a great problem with. Otherwise, from description, it seems good. (Of course, the odo is not working, and the cloth seats - tartan - have seen their best days)

What's the collective wisdom suggest about a possible linkage problem?

Cheers,

Phill.
Old 10-12-2004 | 08:07 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

could be worn linkage (start at the shifter, the link to the connecting rod......)
Could also be low / old tranny oil
TakeCare
Old 10-12-2004 | 09:30 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

This car probably has the snail shell transmission. Is reverse left and up and 1st right under it? if so it's the snail shell and it is notorious for eating synchros and gears. The linkage might have some to do with it but the main thing is the tranny itself. If you don't really care about weight I would ditch the tranny and get a 5 speed from an early 944 or late 924. The audi based boxes are much stronger than the snailshells but weigh about 50 lbs more.
Old 10-12-2004 | 09:36 PM
TroppoShark
Racer

Hans: Thanks for that advice... Yes, it makes sense to start with the easiest options.

I've been reading as much as I can access on this model gearbox/tranny, and it seems to make good sense to change the lubricant for a synthetic, although there is a lot of different opinion on which is the best syn for it. Nevertheless, that would seem to be a very positive step towards easier gearchange...

If I get to test-drive, then I'll be able to feel for sloppiness in the stick, and to lift the stick cover to at least see the front bushing.

AznDrgn: Yes, mate, it will be the 'snailshell'. I'm told that in Oz all the 931's had the same tranny/box. I had the impression that as well as being 'notorious for eating synchros and gears' it also has a reputation for being a strong box... I don't know if that sounds too contradictory, but I've read of owners deciding to recondition the gears, but still getting around to it 10k later...

Re, your suggestion of swapping the tranny for an early 944 or a late 924: would that really work? I mean, are the ratios the same as in the 924 Turbo, and are they of the same strength to handle the turbo power?

Thanks for responding, guys.

Phill.
Old 10-13-2004 | 01:19 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

TroppoShark many people do decide to recondition the boxes but they just won't last as long as one of the audi based boxes, the porsche box is just weak especially if you are hard on the shifts and like to run the first two gears up before shifting. In order to swap trannies with an early 944 or late 924 you'd need to swap torque tubes.
Old 10-13-2004 | 01:19 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

also another place to get lots of info on the 924 is www.924board.org. The discussion board there has tons on the snailshell tranny.

Quick Reply: 924 Turbo 2nd & 4th gears hard to engage.