Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower balance shaft cover - help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:44 AM
spangle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower balance shaft cover - help please

Have just installed my engine after a rebuild - runs very well - thanks for everyones help!

There is a leak however - from the lower balance shaft cover. Oil dripping from one of the larger bolts at the rear. I wish it was the upper!!

My question is - can the cover be removed and resealed with the engine and crossmember in place? I see I'll have to take off the exhaust headers to at least get access.

Or will I have to take off the PS pump and the front seal assembly as well?

help appreciated

Spangle
Old 10-11-2004, 12:34 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I resealed mine about 5 years ago. The only thing I remember having to remove (which I didn't want to remove) was the exhaust headers. On the other hand, I was resealing everything I could but the front seals because of multiple oil leaks. Therefore I had a lot of stuff already out of the way.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will have to remove the front of the bal shaft housing, which means removing the ps pump etc. The cover itself is sealed with orange case sealer and there is a large o-ring that seals the rear of the housing. Actually, just thinking more about it, you might be able to get away with leaving the front alone, putting the cover back in place over the large o-ring at the front might be a bit tricky but it should be possible, be careful not to trap a bit of the o-ring between the cover and the block.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: lower balance shaft cover - help please