Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Ridge Parkway; Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:32 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue Ridge Parkway; Any Suggestions?

A buddy of mine has a business trip in Charlottesville, Virginia, and called me today on the spur of the moment to see if I wanted to go. He had planned to fly, but had thought if I wanted to go with him, we could drive it together. Realizing that we could go on a route that would lead us through the Smoky Mountains, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and to the Shenandoah Valley, it didn't take long for me to say "absolutely!" I shifted my schedule around a bit, and shifted into "travel" mode. We decided that we would go in my car (the 1992 968), as his has considerably more miles, and wouldn't be half as much fun on all those mountainous stretches as the Porsche.

So, departing from North Alabama, I am thinking of going through Chattanooga, Gatlinburg (side trip), and on over to Asheville on I-40. Then, I plan to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. So, those of you who are familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway, are there any tips and suggestions that you could give me, as in "must-see" sights, restaurants, etc? Thanks in advance.

Also, for those familiar with the Charlottesville area, I am looking for some excellent restaurants, and I especially like Northern Italian and Continental French cuisine. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this 2 years ago. Took up the BRMP at Lexington, VA. It's an incredibly good road for pleasure driving, and there are sections where you're on the mountain top with valleys on both sides. However, if you get a pokey car in front of you, it can spoil your fun for several miles. Towards the end, it becomes a National Park and the speed limit is even more restricted, but that's were it's the most fun to drive because there are less cars. Just keep an eye out for the deer!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have him drive one of the twins...and deliver it to my house so I can use it until I get a new one
Old 10-07-2004, 12:54 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bloodraven
you should have him drive one of the twins...and deliver it to my house so I can use it until I get a new one
With as much bad luck as you've been having, that might be in order!

I'm sorry that I missed you last time. Dad and I actually picked the Red Rocket up in Charlotte instead of Raleigh-Durham. We'll have to share a pizza one day in the future, though!

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Just keep an eye out for the deer!
I certainly will! Also, if I get behind a slow-poke, I think I'll just pull off the side of the road and take in one of the magnificient vistas for a bit, and then resume. No sense in going 5 mph and spoiling the driving aspect of it.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the speed down!!!!!!!! The local law enforcement types can now pop you for a ticket totalling over $1k on the spot if they think you deserve it. I like the BRP, but I'm not planning on taking any "enthusiastic" drives up there. Speed limit is 45mph for the vast majority of it. Be careful up there.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:11 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave951M
Keep the speed down!!!!!!!! The local law enforcement types can now pop you for a ticket totalling over $1k on the spot if they think you deserve it. I like the BRP, but I'm not planning on taking any "enthusiastic" drives up there. Speed limit is 45mph for the vast majority of it. Be careful up there.
Thanks for the heads-up, Dave! I'm on my way out right now, and am glad I saw your tip.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Billy W
Racer

I heard parts of 40 are still closed from the flooding, so you might want to check that. The NC mountains have alot of roads that got washed out the last flood and the news has been saying that it will take up to a year to get them all back together.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Billy W
Racer

But on the subject of good resturants to stop at, in Boone right off the parkway you have Woodlands BBQ if you want some good NC style BBQ.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:32 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Boones Mill is another spot to watch when you'r ein my neck of the woods. The town cop just got a GTO and loves nailign people. It's a short town, but be careful.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway; Any Suggestions?