Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun & Games on California'sHighways

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004 | 07:57 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Default Fun & Games on California'sHighways

Hello Californians.

I just got off of the phone with one of California's traffic operations officials. I asked if he had in his possession any "engineering studies" for a particular section of freeway in a portion of this wonderfully enlightened state, he stated he did not. He expanded that by saying that "engineering studies" were not performed for any freeways in California. Of course my next question was " Why not?". To which he replied.....(sit down first)....because if we did, the limit would increase to 75 from 65 on most sections. He also said that the accident rate would .....(don't get up yet)....decrease if the limit was raised to 75. I then asked if he would summarize what he had just said in a letter, and he replied that he would not. (What a shock, eh?! Well I got the Oregon chief traffic engineer to officially record that policy, but not so lucky in California...yet). This gentleman also stated that no engineering studies were performed for rural two lane highways in Califonia on which the limit had (arbitrarily?) been set at 55. When asked if he would put that in a letter also, he declined again. I asked if there was a legal requirement that scientifically based engineering studies be performed to determine speed limits, wouldn't it be in California's interest to comply? He responded by expressing doubt that such legal requirement existed, or that he was unfamiliar with such requirement's existence. Finally, when questioned about statistics showing decreased accident rates and fatalities in countries in which speed limits were non-existent, he responded by saying that California could not be compared to other states or countries. He did not clarify that statement.

Just thought that would put at ease the minds of anyone traveling along one of California's fine highways, whether visitor or resident. I'm reminded of an old
saying which might be modified to suit this situation. "Sleep in a well tonight. Your National Guard is a fake." (No malice intended to members of the National Guard, but you get the idea.)

Not that this is any surprise to anyone familiar with government policies, but anyone care to comment?
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:10 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

This should be moved to OT...

Interesting though that they seem to be avoiding making the roads quicker and safer.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:12 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Just from a legal perspective, you should know that speed limits (generally) are set by statute in California. If you want to have alot of fun, start digging around the Vehicle Code -- what a mess that is! THe 55 mph is a "default" speed limit for a rural highway...

Not surprising that he wouldn't put it into writing -- he could get into quite a bit of trouble for doing so. It could amount to an admission by an agent of the state which could then be used in court against the state....

I notice you're in the South Bay so you certainly know alot about the 65 vs. 75 thing. I remember when I first moved ot the south bay, i couldn't believe that the speed limit was 65 in 101 & 280, because everyone was going 80-85. I recently visited Minneapolis (where i grew up) and was surprised to find (and then remember) that 55 mph was the limit within the city, and people rarely were going above 65... A whole different ballgame.

But I think the "safety" issue is not so much that 75 is some "magic" number (which of course 55 or 65 isn't either), but that everyone in California ALREADY drives 75+ mph in the 65 mph zones, so those tourists or others who are going 60-70 mph are slow enough to be dangerous to the rest of us who are going 75+... I guess the theory would be that if you bump the limit up to 75, then even the tourists would start going the same speed as everyone, hence decreasing accidents.. Personally I don't buy it, as I think it would jus tmake people like me go 85 instead of 75.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:19 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

FWIW, in the South San Francisco Bay Area alone, each month approximately $200,000 is collected in traffic fines (moving violations most of which are speeding).
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:19 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
This should be moved to OT...
why?
your just trying to fit in and make everyone like you.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:37 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
why?
your just trying to fit in and make everyone like you.
Rofl. This is for the books. Pecker makes a good comment.

I think the tread should stay, we 944 people are like a family. No need to post in the neighbors' yards.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:38 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

not sure how that made sense. Was just commenting on it because the Mod's seem to have been making an effort to keep OT in teh OT. I wasn't being rude about it either. Frankly, I don't care. :P

I was also interested in the topic too, hence my comment on it.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:55 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Its CAMpeck fool.
and If it went to OT it would be gone in an hour due to the massive ammounts of OT posts being generated.

And I'm just messin' wit' ya there yeild.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:57 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Campeck, watch it. youll send it to teh abyss and ill still win! WOOO

Btw, its yIEld Fool.

Quick Reply: Fun & Games on California'sHighways