Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:26 PM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold on now....Look at those side skirts! I kinda like those vs. the boxed ones I've seen. For -hits and giggles I tried to email and it isn't a valid address anymore. LOL
Old 11-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The Car Domain crowd regard the speed yellow 944 as one Bling-Bling-***-piece-O' Schizznit!

...and we are simply unworthy "******"
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen a couple of pics of 944's with the pop up headlights removed and replaced with "regular" headlights... has anyone done this and what is the best way/ parts to get ???
The best way is to build a good kit BUT while everyone wants to have this no one is willing to pay the amount of money it would take to make it. A few of us having been tossing this around for probably 4 years. The problem is to make a good kit requires that people are willing to spend more than the $550.00 for the GT racing kit (which has horrible fit and finish, like most of their parts). This is the same group of people that made a group buy on Valve Stem caps to save $2.00. so that is not super likely.

Myself and at least two other listers are still working on it however, if we come up with a marketable solution for an amount of money that people will actually pay I will let you know, if not I will show you pics of my setup whenever I get around to finishing it.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I *think* the GT Racing kit is also meant to fit 944's and not the larger light opening of 951 cars. There will be a gap. Am I correct? Or have they unofficially added some 951 lense covers as well?

I've been toying with the idea of going to fixed headlights, but sometimes I look at cars with them and think that it is an odd mix of retro and modern when paired with a 951/S2 type front end. I think it looks better on 924 CGTS cars. But then I look at photos of Rage's car and think it looks cool.

What I would really be interested in would be a way of having a fixed headlight set up like the GT Racing kit, but have factory looking body colored covers that somehow lock over the glass/plastic lenses for lens protection and factory appearance during the day, but can be removed when it gets dark for headlight use.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tifosiman; 11-06-2004 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added a photo
Old 11-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Jeremy for some of us the fixed headlights are a means to an end. I.e. I dont like them all thea much but without the headlight garbage in the way I can do something else I am trying to accomplish. In an ideal world I would dump them all together and just use a fixed panel like badass951 had on his but it gets dark here at 1700 so I dont think that is an option.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Opeth
Pro

Thumbs up

Myself and at least two other listers are still working on it however, if we come up with a marketable solution for an amount of money that people will actually pay I will let you know, if not I will show you pics of my setup whenever I get around to finishing it.
10-4 ; I figured nows the best time to do something like that since mines still on jack stands, but alas Ill just be doing the iceshark lights.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:40 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Dmoffitt's are the nicest fixed headlights I have seen, so hopefully he could post some pics if he sees this. I love how he used two round lights inside the fixed location. I think nine-44 did the same. Where have you been nine-44?

Chris
Old 11-06-2004, 09:12 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Jeremy for some of us the fixed headlights are a means to an end. I.e. I dont like them all thea much but without the headlight garbage in the way I can do something else I am trying to accomplish. In an ideal world I would dump them all together and just use a fixed panel like badass951 had on his but it gets dark here at 1700 so I dont think that is an option.
I agree with that. I think that the flip up headlights are not only hideous, but heavy. I'm all about soming up with something that is cleaner and lighter, and functions the same or better.

The headlights are one of the few things that I really dislike about these cars, makes me want a 911 sometimes.

PS: On a side note, the "dark at 1700" thing really has me depressed here. Makes me want to stick a pencil in my eye and run out into the dark night screaming.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Yeah, it is dark when I get to work and dark when I leave! Not cool....If you hit up chat later I can tell you why I am so anxious to dump them.

Quick Reply: Headlight Conversion?