Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch Spark Plugs

Whats the difference between a Bosch WR7DC & a Bosch WR8DS plug. Besides about $4.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:26 AM
idontknow
Intermediate

Heat range (8 is hotter) and copper electrode v/s silver electrode
Old 10-04-2004, 08:38 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Could someone explain "hotter" plugs?

The electrodes get hotter? They're for a hotter engine?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 AM
yoyoguy2
Racer

i believe "hotter" indicates a plug keeps more heat energy in it between combustion cycles, and colder means it transfers heat off faster. i'll save the mechanics of which works better on our cars for someone with a better thermdynamics background than myself (i think you want colder for more race setup, hotter for street?), but i believe both 8 and 7 will run fine under normal circumstances.

there is of course a debate raging on this topic somewhere as we speak.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

WR7DC is the one recommended in the manual.

This should give you an idea of what the heat range means...

"The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber."

Quick Reply: Bosch Spark Plugs