Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Porsche that's not a Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:44 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not touching the conversion question but I do know that these conversions with carburators that have hood scoops really suck. I have seen two of them now and the hood scoop makes it a bastard for me. Weren't hood scoops a sixties thing?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ethan
NeedPorscheSpeed.... just curious, how do you decide which car you are going to drive? How often do you drive them? One for the day of the week or what? Are they in garages? Sorry for all the questions, but that is one impressive stable you've got there!
-Ethan
First of all, thank you very much for the compliment. I certainly do enjoy them all! I don't mind the questions at all. Talking about my Porsche passion is a joy, actually. Also, I just want to point out that the Amazon Green 968 now belongs to my father, but I still have driving privileges.

How do I decide which to drive?

Well, let's start with the 1989 Turbo. Her nickname (and plate) is FIFTY 50, in honor of her 50/50 weight distribution. She is completely stock (with the exception of hotter chips), is in excellent condition, has every record from day one, and was my very first Porsche, so she stays in the garage quite a bit. I'd say that I put 2000 miles on her per year, mainly on scenic backroads such as the Natchez Trace and on riverfront drives. She also gets taken to the mountain (well, big hill) with some nice twisties once in a while. That is about 30 miles away. Although she mainly sees recreational use, she has been known to make a 300 mile trip from time to time, and when she does, it's always a joy. (In fact, in 2000, I took her to a Porsche convention, which tallied 1000 miles round trip. John D. actually inspected her at that show and was very complimentary. I was so honored.)

Next up is the 1990 S2. She is the workhorse of the group, and my second Porsche. She is the current daily driver, although the 968 has been stealing some daily driving duties as of late. The S2 was my second Porsche, and I quickly fell in love with her wonderful powerplant. On the twisties, she is my preference, although the 968 is gaining on her, as I get more acclimated to her. For now, I still have a better sense of control in the S2, as I have been driving her longer. The S2 has a rawer feel in comparision to the 968, although the ride is a bit softer. I'd say in a given year, I put around 6000 miles on the S2. Also, the S2 is the only one that is not garaged. She is the workhorse, however, and may be called upon at any time! No garage, no car cover = easy access.

Next is the 1993 968. She was my third Porsche, and although my ownership was short-lived, I did get to enjoy 1500 miles in her on the way home from Denver this past June. That was a trip whose memories I'll always cherish. A beautiful Amazon Green 968 with the Rockies and evergreens as my backdrop. It even snowed when I went to Breckenridge. Coming back through the Continental Divide with snow on the ground was heavenly! Back to the topic of how often I drive the 1993 968, my father and I swap 968s from time to time. I'd say that is about once every 3-4 weeks. Of course, I can drive it any time I like, however. Dad is using her as his daily now, and enjoying every mile. Having the tiptronic selector, it is perfect for his long daily commute. I'm so glad that dad is back into Porsches! He is going to let my sister drive it to school tomorrow. Lucky little sister! Hey, I'm just glad that she is giving up her SUV for a day.

Next is the 1992 968, my fourth Porsche. Her nickname is "Black Beauty." I picked her up in early July, and she is so much fun! The ride stiffness seems to be midway between the S2 and the 1989 Turbo, and the close-ratio 6-spd gearbox is dreamy. I'll admit that during the past week, I have been keeping her shined and spotless, and mostly in the garage. At this point, because she is in such outstanding condition, I am finding myself wanting to let her play "garage queen." However, I've never been a big fan of that; I've always thought that Porsches are made to be driven and experienced, just as Ferdinand intended! At the rate I've been going, I should log around 3000 miles in her this year.

Last, but certainly not least, is the 1986 Turbo, nicknamed the "Red Rocket." Wow, this car is an absolute thrill ride! My fifth Porsche, I picked her up in early August of this year. Not only is it a beast on the track (its previous owner quite frustrated a GT2 driver, but I haven't had the privilege of tracking her yet), but it is beautiful, too. I can't say enough about how well the previous owner, Ian, painstakingly ensured that the car would maintain the sense of balance for which Porsche is so renowned. From the 550 lb Leda Coilovers to the Vitesse Stage II to the Vultures (996 Turbo Brakes), the car is meant for some very serious driving, preferably at the track. I can't wait to get her on Barber Motorsports track one day! As of this moment, she is making quite an ugly noise in the head, so I am having to refrain from driving her until I can get in there and check things out. When she is online, she usually sees action a couple times per week for a spirited jaunt down the highway, and around some twisties. Have I mentioned that I can't wait to take her to the track? Man, I miss driving that car so much! It's only been a week, too... She shares garage time with the 968, but as of late, the 968 has been in the garage and the "Red Rocket" wrapped up in her car cover.

Well, Ethan, I hope that I answered all your questions adequately. Actually, I probably went a little overboard, but when I get started about my Porsche passion, I am unleashed! Hmm...., Porsche Unleashed has a nice ring to it. They should make a video game with that name.

Originally Posted by Strike-Force
Maybe he plays duck-duck-goose with them...:-P
Old 10-04-2004, 06:22 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

With 16 hours left on the auction, still no takers. Who would have thought? What a shocker!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Maybe because everyone with class (Those who drive Porsches) doesn't want to defile themselves with Chevy power, and those who are rednecks (People who drive Chevys) don't want to drive a Porsche frame...
Old 10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Danton
Instructor

LMAO!!!!

" Maybe because everyone with class (Those who drive Porsches) doesn't want to defile themselves with Chevy power, and those who are rednecks (People who drive Chevys) don't want to drive a Porsche frame..."
Old 10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Originally Posted by schnellfahrer
That is probably one cool car. I can't understand how an Porsche enthusiast could do that, though. It's not a Porsche anymore.
You can be a Porsche enthusiast without being a Porsche engine enthusiast. Those who think otherwise should be glad I thought enough of the 944's excellent build quality and looks to use it for my purpose. This is my LT1 car. I like it, and that's all that matters to me. Incidentally, I have plenty of class, and I'm not a redneck.

Doug

Old 10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Ya'll have seen Predators LT4 944, right? (empahsis on the ya'll)
Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Originally Posted by dmsog
You can be a Porsche enthusiast without being a Porsche engine enthusiast. Those who think otherwise should be glad I thought enough of the 944's excellent build quality and looks to use it for my purpose. This is my LT1 car. I like it, and that's all that matters to me. Incidentally, I have plenty of class, and I'm not a redneck.

Doug

mmmm. pictures.... motor pictures?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally Posted by Ethan
NeedPorscheSpeed.... just curious, how do you decide which car you are going to drive? How often do you drive them? One for the day of the week or what? Are they in garages? Sorry for all the questions, but that is one impressive stable you've got there!
-Ethan
I get exhausted keeping three cars clean! Heck, keeping one shiny all the time is hard work!

Anyway, back on topic... I'm curious about an LT1 powered 944. But when push came to shove and I needed a rebuild, I rebuilt the Porsche motor rather than explore that route.

Still, I'm curious
Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
I get exhausted keeping three cars clean! Heck, keeping one shiny all the time is hard work!
I feel your pain.... right here in my elbow.

Also, I answered Ethan's questions about the fleet in Post #17, but I'm not sure he has seen it. I hope he does, because I burned a couple buckets of midnight oil writing it.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:05 PM
JediAgent
Racer

I read it.
If i wasn't interested in knowing what you wrote i might have considered you a boastful rub-it-in-my-face kinda guy. But then again i liked what you wrote, so its ok.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Mel928944
Advanced

Porsche with a Chevy engine = Porchev. Some of these around, seen some 928s with Chevy V-8s. It's a preference, but why? It's like driving a Pontiac Fiero made to look like a baby Ferrari = Ponari.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:23 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Originally Posted by JediAgent
mmmm. pictures.... motor pictures?
http://www.560sec.com/latestengine.jpg

Doug
Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JediAgent
I read it.
If i wasn't interested in knowing what you wrote i might have considered you a boastful rub-it-in-my-face kinda guy. But then again i liked what you wrote, so its ok.

Do you mean that if you had not read it completely, you would have thought that I was boastful, rub-it-in-your face kind of guy because: a) the post was so long; b) I stated in post #25 that I hoped that Ethan, to whom the post was addressed, would actually see it and read it; or c) some other reason.

I can assure you, I did not set out to be boastful or to rub it in anyone's face, but to answer the questions that Ethan posed to me. If, during the course of my passionate response and explanation I seemed elitist or boastful, I apologize. All of those machines are dear to me, as I so thoroughly enjoy them. I can see how my enthusiasm could be interpreted as boastfulness, especially over the Internet where communication is so uni-dimensional, due to its strictly verbal nature (no body language, tonality, etc.).

I am so passionate about Porsche that I forget that others out there might interpret it as snobbery and elitism. For example, last week, I flew a Porsche flag below the U.S. flag on our flagpole. My sister didn't like it because she said that it seemed haughty, as in, "look at us, we own Porsches." That was something that hadn't even crossed my mind, as I hung it up to share my love of Porsche with others. I guess I have a lot to learn about these matters.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:41 PM
JediAgent
Racer

I was moreorless joking with you.
Its hard to consider a guy with 5 Porsches, and gratuitous pictures of them, not boastful when he takes time to hijack a thread with a pageful of info on each one of his 5 wonderful cars...

But then i thought about how i would feel if i had 5 944/951/968's when someone asked me a question about them... yummy. So its OK. But you make me want to go buy a guards red 968 and park it next to the 944 for gratuitous pictures.

Quick Reply: A Porsche that's not a Porsche...