Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car Needs a 1986 Flashback...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004 | 11:19 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default My Car Needs a 1986 Flashback...

Hey Folks,
My car needs refreshed mechanically to 1986 specs. Does any one have a list of things that would make it run like new? Here are some symptoms that might help:

1. After sitting 8+ hrs, the car stumbles when starting. It doesn't die anymore though, if I give it a little gas.

2. Sometimes the RPM's don't drop at a reasonable speed when I press in clutch and let off accelerator. They sort of meander their way down. It will also, raise the RPM's to about 1700-1800 at a stop.

3. The cat is very, free-flow (empty), and it makes an awful smell. I know part of it is the cat, but can it be remedied to an acceptable level with a new O2 sensor.

4. Oil pressure gauge goes over 5, but seems to move properly during normal driving. It might be reading high, so dash grounds, or time for a new oil pressure sender?

I think that is it, I do have a new (rebuilt) computer installed, new wires, and proper plugs installed.

I do appreciate in advance any help that can be given.
Old 10-03-2004 | 07:42 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Hmm...looks like a tired engine to begin with...not to mention assorted vacuum/exhaust leaks too...a possible gross polluter...that time warp to 1986 only requires some little slips of paper. The 944 is fortunate enough to have a loyal following, providing aftermarket restoration that wont endure decades. The cost estimate for your time travel is broken down below:

Engine refresh - $600/used motor, and roughly $2800 for a complete, alusil-treated rebuild, with reseals, and new water, oil pumps.

Emissions compliance - CAT=$700. No other legal workaround for this emissions part. Try getting it in treated stainless, while out there paying for it. Rust will never know your exhaust- even if you placed it directly in front of them. Compliance also includes a new ICV $75/used $130/new; hoses $120 and fuel, oil and transmission filters too. A thorough parts-buying spree will 99% guarantee your smog test will PASS!

It appears the oil sender is still good. I'd start sweating if the sender reads 5BAR full-time. Without starting- check it by turning the key pposition to #2/ACCESSORY and see if the needle registers. If not- then its time to fork over $75 for a new one.

1986 was an unfavorable year for myself. That year- I was 21 and foolish as-all-hell, with a new Red 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo. I got 13 speeding tickets in that sore-thumb car. Not to mention I was hospitalized with Meningitis..and almost left this world at 21. I was always drunk- not remembering where or how I even made my to places at all. I was in a bad relationship too...but the ONLY thing 1986 was good for.....was my 1986 951. Why? Because I never:

a)Wanted Airbags
b)Liked the side rails distracting from the clean crease the door has.
c)Knew I had a thing for deep-offset European rolling stock
d)Can afford upkeep of this car until NOW
e)Expected to own a running one that required intial investment of under $1400. For the steeply-low sum of $1,380....I didnt get the best BANG for my buck.....I got BOOST for my buck! And look at ME...I'm addicted now!
Old 10-03-2004 | 05:30 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Sounds like #1 and #2 might have something to do with a vacuum leak, maybe a big one. When is the last time the intake manifold was off and those vac lines under there were changed out? The short S-shaped one down there gets exposed to a lot of heat. Mine had a split an inch and a half long in it, but I bought the car non-running and have no idea how badly it ran when the PO had it.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:16 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I was talking to por951turbo last night and he suggested the same thing with the vacum lines. Also, the starting and stumbling problem he had was fixed with a new ICV. I am guessing that new battery cables might help as well. He also suggested a new O2 sensor to reduce fumes. I am not sure if mine is original or not. I just need to save the money for IceShark's kit. The car only has 140,000, I don't think the engine is that tired. The oil pressure needle does register as well.

I do greatly appreciate all of the responses as well.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:29 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Justin, I probably have enough vacum line left to do your car. I think I have enough connectors too. You would need new manifold gaskets and we might as well replace the icv while we are in there. Lindsey and MySwiss sell in updated hose kit for that too.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:34 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

My car does the same thing at start up. After 5 or more hours, it runs on 3 cylinders for about 4-8 seconds. Then it clears up, and is fine until the car sits for a day again. I was thinking my headgasket might be taking a turn for the worse... Yet I don't get much white smoke.. Was planning on changing it just for piece of mind this winter... But now that I emptied my bank on a tranny, who knows. I'm goign to try to get my parents to get me waterpump and belts for christmas. hehe.
Old 10-04-2004 | 06:40 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

There are two people in Grove City?!?!?

I am on the North side of Columbus. Would love to meet other Porsche owners around here. Give me a call if you like - Tony Krncevic 614-776-5611

Cheers,

Quick Reply: My Car Needs a 1986 Flashback...