Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:44 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio wiring questions

Rennlisters,

I'm working on my audio upgrade for my 968.

I need to wire up a separate amplifier.

Two questions
1. Where to best run the power lead from the battery?
- I believe the correct answer is that there is a large grommet behind the battery that will lead into the passenger footwell, but wanted to verify, AND
2. Where is the best place to wire up the auto turn-on for the amp?

I have the car all apart as I write this, so extra credit given for quick and detailed answers.

Many thanks,

Phil
Old 09-23-2004, 11:10 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your post is confusing but...
are you trying to wire just the amp or something else too?

I always wired the amp directly to the battery.
there is a second wire that wires to the power on the ignition.
it turns the amp on and off.

I hope this helps,
if not try and clarify to get a better answer
Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 PM
phil0618
Racer

Hi,

Yes, you have identified what I'm trying to do.

I was planning on powering the amp directly from the battery, but can you help me identify exactly where I can tap in to get the 'auto turn' on for the amp.

I'm leaving the head unit the same for now, so it is only wiring up the power and the auto turn on (ignition) for the amp that I'm worried about right now.

thanks,

Phil
Old 09-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Run about 6-7 feet of 8 gauge wire from the battery to the amp for constant 12v.
You can drill a hole in the firewall if you don't want to go through the fusebox/whatever.
You can run the wires under the scuff plates.
The remote wire, tap 18 gauge wire to either the headunit's ACC12V wire, or Power antenna wire.
You can hide the wire under the scuff plates as well.
Ground the amp to the metal under the hatch carpet (strip the paint, use 8 gauge wire).

Are you connecting the amp to the speakers, or via RCA cables?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:33 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I just use the red wire that goes to the ignition!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 PM
phil0618
Racer

Hi,

In a blinding flash of the obvious I decided to check the documentation for my head unit and it would seem that there is a pretty clearly marked place to wire the remote turn on for the amp

DUH. If you were going to have 'something' turn on and off your remote audio amplifier it kinda makes sense that it would be tied to the head unit/radio...

Gotta go now.

Phil
Old 09-23-2004, 11:47 PM
phil0618
Racer

Thaks to Cyrus and EMW both.

I think I have it "wired" now. The head unit has both an antenna lead and a remote amp lead and I can use one of those.

To answer Cyrus, I am running the sound to the amp via RCA cables. My Becker head unit has front and rear RCA outs and I'm just going to put in a Y connector on the rears and tap in from there. The sub amp has a remote volume control that I can mount somewhere up front so this will give me some additional flexibility with regard to balancing the sound of the sub with the rest of the audio.

I have a 968 with 10 speaker stereo option. I'm going to keep the factory amps for front and rear in place for now as well as keeping all the factory speakers in place for now as well. But, I am doing a bunch of sound deadening and tightening everything down so I can wring the most from the stock stuff. Later I'll start removing some of the factory speakers and adding some better amplification, but for now the subwoofer is the order of the day.

I've got the KLA sub box in the rear passenger cubby with a woofer I bought from Parts Express that is apparently well suited to a small sealed box.

I've also got some FMODS on order from Parts Express to filter out some of the low frequency information prior to it reaching the amps. These simple plug into the RCA jacks from the head unit. Front filter will be 200 Hz and the rear will be 100Hz. I'll tune the subwoofer x-over by ear when it is all installed.

Thanks for the help.

Lastly, congratulations to the two of you for a couple of the finer pictures in all of Rennlist...

Phil

Quick Reply: Audio wiring questions