Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solved the fish bowl (tail-light)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solved the fish bowl (tail-light)

Well last week up here in the NE we had a lot of rain and during that my drivers side brake light filled almost half way with water! I had seen the stuff about drilling holes in the lenses and i didn't think that was for me, right off the bat atleast.

I took back the carpet to see that the drain hose from the rear hatch pin had popped off. I pulled it out to find it was totally clogged which was the reason it had popped off. I cleaned the pipe and then using a vacuum cleaner and hair-dryer i completely dried out the brake light.

I just wanted to remind everyone to check to make sure their hatch drain hoses are clear.

Erich
Old 09-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Erich. I *will* check mine, as I never have before.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Erich, that little pan under the hatch studs sits in such a way that it will drip water down and into the rear lens compartments. You couldn't have designed such an outcome if you tried.

Besides the hose drain you also need to look at the rubber blocks surrounding the hatch catch. If those get old and hard they will start leaking water over the edges and not directing it into the drain pan. I bought new ones for about $13 but you could probably just use some silicone to seal them up if you want to do it for cheap.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Ice - I just changed those out a year ago or so in an 'attempt' to minimize the rear latch rattle. I was really amazed that porsche designed those in such a way as to drip DIRECTLY onto the lense housing. A little different angle on those tips and the lenses would have been ok. They also seem to have positioned a plug in connection right below the tip.

Oh well, from now on when i have those little pieces out i'll be sure to make sure they arent clogged.
Erich

Quick Reply: Solved the fish bowl (tail-light)