Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At My Witts End!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004 | 01:46 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Yeah, a full vacuum line job is in the works. Any places that sell the whole thing as a kit?
Old 09-25-2004 | 12:18 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I couldnt find any kits . I just went to autozone and matched up the line with another hose. Fixed my problem
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:12 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Will do. Im going in to town and seeing what lines they can match. And will post when its all back together.
Old 09-29-2004 | 01:51 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Howdy Y'all! Guess what... It STILL doesn't work! Yeah, replaced a couple vacuum lines, went over everything under the manifold, put her back on with new gaskets and everything, making sure all was tightened very well. And still no go. Well, what do you do when you've checked almost everything and still nothing? The only thing I havent looked into a WHOLE lot is my dad's contaminated gas theory. We did drain the tank and put in new gas, but he thinks there is a ton of crap in the tank that is contaminating all the gas in the tank as it passes through. The gas we drained out he eventually used to burn some brush and said that the gas put out pitch black smoke, which I guess its not supposed to?... Anywayz, any ideas on where to go next? I actually kinda enjoy puzzles, and await any challenge, but this is REALLY pissing me off!!!
Old 09-29-2004 | 02:38 PM
StupEd05
Pro

bump, anyone? Anyone ever had such bad fuel that it kept the car from starting?
Old 09-29-2004 | 02:44 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try draining the fuel, rinse the tank with toluene, put in fresh gas.
Old 09-29-2004 | 02:50 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Toluene, eh? Alright, I'll look around for it, how much should I get? Enough to FILL the tank? Or just enough to run through it? And should I flush it through the whole system? (not through the injectors and into the cylinders of course. I just mean with the injectors unplugged, jump the pump for a while and let it run through the whole system.)

Thanx!!!
Old 09-29-2004 | 03:02 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack the car up, unhook the fuel pump, drain the gas (CAREFULLY of course). Pour a gallon or so of toluene through the tank. Hook the fuel lines back up, put in fresh gas with injector cleaner and see if that helps.

Toluene is available at any paint store for about $4/ gallon. It won't hurt a thing since it is the main ingredient in gasoline and is a great solvent. The turbo guys use it as an octane booster since it's about the only thing that will actually raise the octane level of gas, but that's a whole 'nother kettle o fish.
Old 09-29-2004 | 04:25 PM
StupEd05
Pro

sweet will do. Im not thinking this is my problem, but its worth a shot!!! Thanx a lot!
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:05 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Dude, your problem sounds almost positively like unmetered air or a broken afm. Every car ive owned has had issues with the afm and your symptoms sound all to familiar.
Try another afm. Is your afm cable good? Connectors on the afm...the wire harness, is there continuity throughout? It would take a large vacuum leak to create as bad of problems as you are having...a leak that i would think would be totally noticable just by the sound. Do you have an air filter on the car? It wasnt really a problem with the barn door sensors but with the bosch hotwire systems like on my saab if you didnt have an air filter there would be turbulence taht would upset the sensor and cause the motor to die.

I couldnt read completely through all the posts....
Are you absolutely sure about the fuel pressure? Do the injectors sound like they are actuating?
Is there good compression and leakdown?
Timing belt slip a tooth? My friends mr2 turbo's did and his car ran in the wierdest ways until we diagnosed it....it would start sometimes, backfire, boost at low rpms with no load, stall, run rough, run good....

Are all your fuses good? Relays?

Just ideas, your problem really sucks and i feel really sorry for you. Ive had to sell a car because of a seemingly undiagnosable problem before.
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:10 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Unplug the AFM (didn't read every post in this thread beyond middle of page 2, so maybe already suggested)..

If it idles, you just found your problem.

With the AFM unplugged it will idle, but wont rev up.
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:42 PM
User 41221
Banned

I am sure its not his AFM or DME, as we installed his on my '84 and the car ran fine. Aaron had also tried my DME on his car, no go, and once upon a time, early in the process, we tried my AFM on his car, with the same result.

I am baffled by this... seriously, I think that about everything that we could try has been done at least twice. He has fuel, he has spark, timing is proper (he's been able to get the car to run for up to 15 minutes during the saga), grounds are good, vacuum lines are good.

Regards,
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:56 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Compression test? Couldn't hurt...

Is it possible with the 944 fuel pump setup to get a bucket and feed the fuel pump from there to see if it is a fuel issue?
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:05 PM
User 41221
Banned

Compression is fine across the board at 150psi, fuel pressure was checked both out of the pump and using a guage at the end of the rail. Fuel injectors were cleaned and resealed and all four fire properly.

Keep the ideas coming... I think we should probably start a new thread that gives the history once, so that folks don't need to read through 5 pages of messages.

Regards,
Old 09-29-2004 | 07:11 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Thanx a ton guys! Ive been updating the very first post of this thread so keep up with that (will update again after this). Fuel pressure was fine except for the 20 minute leakdown resulted in 9psi, which still wont stop it from starting immediately. Compression test fine. AFM fine. Keep 'em comin...

Had a talk with my dad, and he swears that when he was spraying carb cleaner straight into the afm that it was sputtering when cranking. He also said that when he burned the old fuel that was in the tank, it put off black smoke and left a ton of black residue where he burned it. So it almost sounds to me like the last gas I bought was either diesel or some sort of HORRIBLE mixture of unleaded and diesel??? Does this EVER happen? Ive never heard of this happenning but I guess I will find out tonight when I flush the tank. If the gas thats in there now comes out looking just like the gas that was in there when this all happened looks dark and dirty then I know somethins up, cause when that gas went in it was crystal clear.

Quick Reply: At My Witts End!!!