Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early dash (924S) mystery connectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early dash (924S) mystery connectors

I went into the center console/panel today and have found 6 mystery connectors so far. The car has no radio, but does have cut wires behind where the radio goes. I'll post again after I get a picture of all this...

#1 and #2 - both are single wire connecors (assuming they're a pair because they are wrapped up with the factory white tape). One has a blue/gray wire, the other has two brown wires. It was near the clock and my guess is it powers the light... but there's no light bulb socket in the clock! Is my guess right/where do I get one of those? These cars are scarce in junkyards here.
#3 - same kind of connector as above. Has two blue/gray wires and no clear place to plug them into.
#4 - 6 wires in this harness. Red, brown, blue/gray, green, brown with yellow stripe, and blue with green stripe.
Found where it goes#5 - 4 connectors but 5 wires in the harness. From left to right (the connectors are in a row) - blue with black strpe, black with blue stripe, white with purple stripe, and light blue with yellow stripe & blue with yellow stripe sharing the last connection
#6 - This is lower in the center console, towards the passenger side: It has two rows of connectors numbered 1-14, even on one side and odd on the other.
#7 - See post below - either radio or rear wiper?

I also found the missing wires for the power mirrors. How do they plug into the switch? The wires are black, green, and blue.

From left to right the unpluggd connectors are:
#4, #5, #3, #1 and #2

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 09-18-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:45 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Steve-

I think I can answer most of your questions since i'm dealing with the same issue... However, it would be best if you posted some pics (if you have a digital camera)...
Old 09-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

You beat me to it

Here's the second picture - taken from the pass. side, looking toward the console.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Ok, number 5 was the harness to the brake/seat belt light. One down, 5 to go!
Old 09-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Ok, once I got the conole out I found another mystery connector. Is this part of the radio, or does it have something to do with the rear wiper? I don't have it, but I know the hatch has been replaced in the past.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#4 kind of looks like the connector for the optional fog light switch.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I don't have fog lights... maybe the car had them earlier. Where in the engine compartment do the fog light wires run? I'm still not sure if the car used to have a rear wiper. The wiring for harness 7 is long enough to reach where the switch would be, but it looks like the plug attached might be bigger than the switch would be.

edit: I know none of these wires go to the ashtray light. I found where someone cut it off about where the shifter is. Light and the rest of the wiring is nowhere to be found. Thanks to ckathens for posting pictures of his wiring in the other thread!

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 09-18-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Ok, I figured out what all the connectors are for sure except for #6 and #7. And a blue/grey and double brown wire. From the diagram, it looks like there are two lights for the heater control? I can only find one location for a light. How many lights should there be?

#4 is fog light wiring. If my car had fog lights at one time I sure can't tell, and it looks like that block-off plate is on there pretty well.

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 09-18-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
You beat me to it

Here's the second picture - taken from the pass. side, looking toward the console.
Cruise module.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, once I got the conole out I found another mystery connector. Is this part of the radio, or does it have something to do with the rear wiper? I don't have it, but I know the hatch has been replaced in the past.
I don't recognize that one. I don't think my car had it. Perhaps you're right about the rear wiper?
Old 09-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I figured out what all the connectors are for sure except for #6 and #7. And a blue/grey and double brown wire. From the diagram, it looks like there are two lights for the heater control? I can only find one location for a light. How many lights should there be?

#4 is fog light wiring. If my car had fog lights at one time I sure can't tell, and it looks like that block-off plate is on there pretty well.
Steve,

Porsche uses a standard wiring harness for the most part, meaning the connector points are there for any possible option whether your car has them or not. You car likely did not have fog lights or the switch, but the plug on the harness will still be there. I know my car did not originally have fog lights, but I have added the switch and the relay and will use them when I install the Euro bumper (soon) and driving lights.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:45 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geo
I don't recognize that one. I don't think my car had it. Perhaps you're right about the rear wiper?
I can't find any mention of it in the manuals, but then again I haven't been able to find the rear wiper in there at all. It has a Mercedes symbol on the connector and a part number that's different from the others (not 944.xxx....). I'm guessing that it's for the headlight washers? I found three wires that other threads might suggest go with the rear wiper. They're cut and are red/blue, red/white, and red/brown and taped up with the ashtray light. If anybody knows how many wires the rear wiper or headlight washer switches have that'll probably clear it all up for sure.

Good call on the cruise module - I didn't think of that and figured it was a diagnostic connector of some kind. Also, the standardized wiring makes sense. For awhile there it was kind of hard telling what was unplugged and removed by somebody and what was an option that wasn't installed.

I'm still trying to find out if there are two lights for the heater/blower controls or one. Anybody know for sure? It looks like the wiring diagram has two lights but I can only see the hole for one to go in.

Quick Reply: Early dash (924S) mystery connectors