Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on fitting an CD/radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default advice on fitting an CD/radio

I want to fit a standard Ford RDS6000EON unit and before you all shake your heads and fall about laughing there is a very good reason.

My closeup eyesight has deteriorated rapidly this past year as I now need to wear reading glasses 8-12 hours a day.
In the car I cannot see the tiny pushbuttons and print on either of my existing Sony and Inocenti units at all whilst driving .

The ford unit I have bought is extremly simple and has very large buttons. perfect for me .

How am I going to best connect up the 944S2 wiring to a ford socket on the RDS6000? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds complicated, my guess is that a store specializing in car audio would be best.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Hey Peanut, wow it's been a long time since I've seen you post,

Can we get some measurments on the ford unit? As long as it's not too wide, you should be able to get it to fit by removing the change drawer under the radio.
You might want to contact the people at www.crutchfield.com and ask for an adapter kit, or at least a harness for the rds6000.

Good luck
Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

should be pretty easy - assuming you have a 'tail' aka the plug that comes from the ford radio, with some wire - aka you'd have to have cut it out of a factory car, or buy the part from ford (radio harness). buy that, get a porsche harness adaptor from any stereo place (should be 5-15 USD approx) figure out wires for constant and accessory power, ground (might have to go straight to the chassis, some factory harnesses don't have grounds) illumination/dash lights, power antenna wire (aka remote turn-on wire) FL/FR/RL/RR speakers (8 wires in total)
Old 09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make it a little bit easier, get the factory plug and the porsche harness from best buy (or the like) , the reason to get both aftermarket as opposed to getting the factory ford harness from the dealer is the aftermarket one is going to have the wires labeled, so it will be easy splicing the two together, actually they make it even easier, AFAIK all the aftermarket ones have the wire colors the same, and some companies are adopting the color code, i know that Clarion does.

My .02

MArk
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Hi guys
thanks for all you're replies. I have `been away' for a while due to pressure of work but I'm back with passion.
terminated my 944 N/A 86 last month and just bought a 944S2 (90) nice condition so I'm in love again.

Although I'v spent years working on classic cars I've very little experience of ICE so I thought I'd ask what was available.
Looks like the best route is to get a Ford plug and tails maybe from a dismantler .
I'll start asking around for a Porsche adaptor I'm in the UK could you give me a linky to bestbuy ?
thanks alot
Its good to be back

Edit
Crutchfield site is brilliant. Lots of good stuff there. They suggest this part
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3d4JICP...display=XL#Tab

Can any of you confirm this looks like the connector I need for my 944S2 ? I can't get to the car to the w/e to look.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Quick update.
I've managed to get a complete Ford radio wiring loom and plugs on ebay !
now I just need to order the Porsche socket and wires from Crutchfield and I'm sorted.
I'll let you know how I get on
Keep the shiny stuff up
Cheers
Nick

Quick Reply: advice on fitting an CD/radio