Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you guys buy your brake pads? What Brand to use

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you guys buy your brake pads? What Brand to use

As the topic says I need new pads for my 86 944 NA. Im wondering where to get pads from. Id rather get them in town than do mail order. thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boy- I sure as hell would like to get a few good suggestions here- have started a doz threads on this topic- at any rate, I can sure as fu** tell you a few NOT to buy....

PBR Deluxe- they SUCK! They squeel like hell at parking lot speeds & I've faded them on the street during MILD runs- the only good things I will say about them are their price & their initial bite when cold- otherwise, they do suck...

Axxis Metal Masters- they SUCK! They make noise at parking lot speeds when hot, but, that's the only time- I haven't faded them yet, but, doubt they have the grip avaiable TO get hot enough TO fade anyway- their hot grip is moderate to poor & their COLD grip is non-existent...

I'm VERY upset about the lack of decent choices out there for these cars avaiable for even HALFWAY reasonable prices- the only ones that get semi-consistent reviews are RIDICULOUSLY over-priced. I've been told that pads are a comprimise & that you can't get a good pad w/decent initial bite, good grip when hot, that resists fade decently well on street & does NOT make noise- I don't understand why, as I've never had the prob w/other cars- I almost think there are TOO many choices out there for these cars, &, no one ever picks the same thing- I would KILL for a European Car Mag test of 8 or 10 dif types of pads for our cars, like they've done for GTI's, Jettas, etc....

anyway, if you find anything good, please let me know.... I've had two other sets of pads on the car & both really sucked- the first was whatever the PO had on, so, I'll never figure out what kind they were- the 2nd set, I'd have to ask my mech- I had them on for a day or so- they were LOUD as hell & didn't provide any real grip when cold to moderate, so, unuseable for an everyday driver....
Old 09-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I've heard people say good things about the metal masters...but no personal experience. Go figure.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:41 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I have a set of AXXIS, now PBR, Ultimates on my car and I love them... I found them pretty cheap online I will look and try to find the site if you want to know. I use them as an autoX/street pad and they are perfect for both. I love them. I know someone who has them on his 325 and he loves them too... These AXXIS do not make any noise at all and have good grip both hot and cold
Old 09-13-2004, 03:28 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat, redlyne. My 86 944 NA needs new pads; my dash light came on yesterday! Good thing I'm not driving it anymore until next spring anyways. But I would like to replace them before I bring it back on the road. Any more suggestions??
Old 09-13-2004, 06:35 AM
ftanguay
Racer

I got metal master from myswiss here... very cheap compare to OEM or pagid... have heard good thing about them (not for the track) but not have the chance to try them for more than 1 km....
Old 09-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys- YES, I have heard many good things about metal master too- this made it all the more frustrating to have the ones I got be so bad- they have HORRIBLE bite when cold- they dont make any noise unless they get going a bit- which is fine I guess- it was just the low speed parking lot type stuff on hte PBR Deluxe that bothered me- if htey squeel when working HARD, I can deal w/that, as it's not as common.

There IS some question though as to WHICH Metal Masters- Axxis, Repco, PBR, etc- some of these companies have SUPPOSEDLY made them, then changed brand names, etc... I don't know much about that, so, I can't speak for ALL MM's, but, the Axxis MM's that I got really were bad- EXCEPT ni regards to price...

I'm wanting to try Mintex maybe- Ferrodo would be nice but expensive- EBC Green (anyone tried these)? I'm considering biting the bullet & getting Pagid Blacks (I THINK they're the blacks- the Sports, whatever the case)- I think ORange are a little more of a track pad & squeel, etc- I've had people say that some of these pads I listed squeeled & then OTHER people say they had the SAME ones & had NO noise whatsoever.... This is an EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING issue for me- I'm sick of wqasting $$- I've got TWO worthless sets of pads right now- I could be ~1/3 of the way into some PAgids w/that $$$- I just hate wasting $$, period....
Old 09-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every pad mentioned so far is a low end DD pad and is useless for anymore than street driving (I wouldn't autoX or DE on any of them). Axxis and PBR are owned by the same company and sell the same pads in different packaging so anyone who claims one is better than the other must have a vivid imagination.
Pads can be formulated to accel in different areas, street pads are made to be quiet and put out as little dust as posible, trak pads are made for stopping the vehicle quickly and to not fade under repeated braking (but the trade off is dust and noise), the happy medium is probably a pad that dust's a bit and makes a little noise but won't fade on the street or for novice autox use. If you're looking for a pad that makes zero noise and won't fade during spirited driving you're asking for a lot, Porsches are heavy cars with enough performance to work the pads pretty hard. Metal masters felt like track pads in my 1900 lb Scirocco but only for the first couple stops, then they'd fade even under that small a load.
For any real discussion, we need to know your intended use of the car, street or track or autocross or some of each? I'm running KFPs from Paragon, not any better than stock on the street (low temp) but great at autox or DE. They dust pretty badly and can be loud at times but after one autox run they are forgiven.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I have been using Axxis MM's for the better part of 6yrs with no issues, both street and track. I think they are a very good all around pad and the price cannot be beat. For the street they work great, and for the track they are OK. I have now switched to the MM Ultimates (ceramic pad, I think), though this is the first set of these I have tried. On the street they are as good as the MM's but on the track they have been better, though I think I was getting some pad deposit on the rotors as there was some juddering on the ride home which cleared up with more use.

As for where to buy them, I will always shop Paragon for the service and the support of Rennlist.

Robby, you must drive pretty hard on the street to get pads to fade. And as for cold bite, I have never had an issue on the street, then again, I am not driving 10/10ths.

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
ernestedward
Instructor

I got metalmasters from paragon and they work great. No squeal, no dust, no fade, and great bite. Course I also have huge brakes on a small car, so perhaps I'm not getting as much out of them. Just my 2 cents..
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have MIntex pads on there and they were a good value, easy to swap out yourself, and they work great. The pads are my second set of Mintex. They have little to no fade, they are quiet, and leave little brake dust. Good Choice.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave- I agree w/MOST of what you're saying... the truth is, though... I've NEVER heard of other cars that had the same issues w/noise.... sure... TRACK pads will make noise- my intended use? I want a pad that is slightly more aggressive than stock- that does NOT squeal- I can't STAND noise! It is a STREET car- I want the pads to be able to withstand light track duty w/out fading.... I understand that to have pads that wont fade at all would be impossible w/out some comprimises..... whatever I get MUST have decent intial cold bite... I've had several NEAR misses b/c of these Axxis when cold...

The BIG prob is, I've heard EXACT, COMPLETE, OPPOSITE responses on the EXACT SAME PADS w/these cars... I just dont get it.... for instance.... some people say PAgid Orange are great, but, do NOT squeel, yet, another person says they DO. Also- RIFF says he's had Axxis MM's for YEARS w/out probs... I've heard PLENTY of people say this,.... BUT- I would bet BOTH my right AND left ones that ANYONE who drove my car would say these pads SUCK! Go figure, right....? I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, but, I'm just having one FU** of a time trying to find pads to stop this damn car.... never had a prob w/anything else... this thing cant stop for sh** & that REALLY REALLY UPSETS me.... that's one of the things I thought I'd NEVER have to worry about w/a Turbo fu**ing S......

Riff- YES- fading on the street is pitiful thing.... I've DONE it before in other cars, but, was driving PRETTY HARD.... the prob HERE is- I got those PBR's to fade on a spirited run one day & that run really was not THAT intense... I was shocked beyond belief.... I'll be the first to admit that I'm not driving 10/10ths- of course... I'm afraid of it a little- it doesn't handle that well- I coud hit FULL limits in my 89 integra about like I can probably get 8-9/10 in this car- the real pissser is that the integra's 9/10 was about as goood as 10/10 in this car- it would simply out-handle it EVERYWHERE- I DID have tokico adj shocks, Eibach springs (shi**y factory T-bars in front) w/Muegen bushings on that car.... I have Ledas on my Turbo S w/275lb fronts & 100lb rear-helpers... NEED decent shocks BADLY! These ledas suck! I also need beefier sways.... at LEAST 968 M030.... considering Weltmeisters, but, not sure....
Old 09-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends what you are doing. Track racing at all? If so i wouldn't recommend these just because they are organic. But I have these organic ones (they come up for like 20 dollars for front and 20 dollars for rear (maybe less) on advanceautoparts.com) . I put them on this winter, because I was poor. I've probably driven 7-8,000 miles this summer... and they are barely showing any wear at all yet.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robby, could it be something else in your braking-system's that causing you problems? Fade is also a function of brake-fluid. The Ford Motorsports HD fluid is a DOT4 stuff that's similar to Motul & Castrol for 1/4 the price. The brake-booster and its vacuum supply is important as well. And if you've got a leak in the octopus under the intake, it'll compromise your braking as well.

FWIW, I use $15.95 Raybestos pads form the local parts store on the street without any problems, no squeal, minimal dusting. For the track, I've used MM, Pagid and KFP-Carbon in the past 5 years without no problems either. Other than some noise in the pits when they're cold and not much braking force until they're warmed up.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I knew what was on my car right now, installed 2 PO's ago. They are nearly silent on the street, and only make mild noise on the track, hardly dust as well. I only experienced fade once on the track, but I really was braking too much. Might have something to do with my cross-drilled rotors though. I have a set of PBR MM's in my bedroom, I'll post yet another review of them once I install them. I think I finished off the pads that are on my car, since they have a squeal since my last track event, though the light isn't on yet.

Redlyne, I'll be sure to let you know what I think of the MM's whenever I get them on there.

Quick Reply: Where do you guys buy your brake pads? What Brand to use