Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you guys buy your brake pads? What Brand to use

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've posted this many times before, so there should be more specific info in the archives. Most brake squeals do not come from the pad-to-rotor friction itself - thereby, squeal is predominantly not a function of the friction material. Especially when using a standard semi-metallic organic pad with low carbon content. I've posted some SAE paperwork and links to other sites like Wilwood and StopTech, but they all say the same thing. In most cases, brake squeal is simply a high-frequency vibration of the either the pad against the caliper or the caliper against itself. Get in there with some good anti-seize lube and hit all points of contact. If your pads are designed to use anti-squeal shims, use them. I know a lot of folks don't like paying the extra $5 or so to get new anti-squeal shims, but they really do work.

My favorite anti-seize/anti-squeal paste is Lubro-Moly LM508 (also referred to as LM2012). "Works great. Lasts long time!"
Old 09-13-2004, 10:55 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I have had good luck with the PBR metal masters in alot of cars. On the track and the street. Make sure you use them front and rear.

I only had one problem once. A few years ago I couldent get the front PBR pads to bed correctly. I had new rotors on there as well. I ended up exhanging the pads as defective and putting a new set on. End of problem. I think that the pads were just defective or something. The box was opened and the pads unwraped when I recieved them.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawk HPS. Good bite, low noise. Carbon metallic, I think. Some dust, though.

My 530 has BMW stock pads - Pagid or Jurid, I guess (and huge rotors, too, BTW). They bite really well and I've never heard a noise from them.

But they put out a whole lot of dust. Like wash the wheels every three days amount of dust. I think this is true of european pads in general. Apparently the european safety group requires that the pads have a certain amount of carbon. But they do work well.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Thanks for the overwhelming response guys. It appears that I would benefit from a set of metal masters. I called autovalue (not sure if you guys have those in the states). The stock Metal masters at their whare house in town (calgary). $53 CND for the front and 57 for the rear...awesome deal
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk hps...theyre ok
Old 09-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm thikning about trying some Hawkes next myself....

Danno- no, it is the PADS- I've changed EVERYTHING in that braking system all the way to the MC, if you remember- I have SS lines, 5/33 valve, ATE blue, relatively new Zimmerman cast(?)-drilled rotors, etc... when I removed the PBR's, I weent straight to the MM's & they could not stop for sh**- I'm ALMOST starting to think my mech bedded them in wrong since so many people have said good things about them- although I HAVE heard a lot of bad things about their initial bite in the past- conflicting info.... EVERYWHERE.... grin & fu**ing bear it, right?

Skip- I DO believe this, to a point- not sure if that was the case w/my PBR's, but, will NEVER find out as I'll never use them again anyway- I bought both the shims AND paste to use w/my MM's, but, could not FU**ING FIND it when I went to do the pads- was SO pissed I didn't even bother to get more- I know I know... I was about pissed enough to drive the car off a cliff actually, so, IMO, I did well... ;-) anyway- the MM's dont squeel anyway- except a tiny bit when really warm, which I can except- I'm going to dig around for the $20 worth of anti-squeel crap when I get new pads & if I can't find it, I'll just buy more & write it off as another $20 to add to the $30K I have in this car.... ask me why I'm bitter..... :-)
Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
M@rk951
Instructor

Riff i believe u posted on getting ceramic MM's? whats the deal with those and how are they and are they noisy....? LOL im really interested so let me know everything.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:46 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
the MM's dont squeel anyway- except a tiny bit when really warm
youre welcome mark
Old 09-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M@rk951
Riff i believe u posted on getting ceramic MM's? whats the deal with those and how are they and are they noisy....? LOL im really interested so let me know everything.
Hi Mark-

Well I was needing new pads and gave a call to Paragon. Chuck told me they had recently recieved the new Metal Master Ultimates, so I figured I would give them a try.

PBR Ultimates @ Paragon Products

Put them in, performed a brake fluid swap and promptly left for a DE weekend at Watkins Glen. They worked fine on the ride out (7hr drive), though I do not think I bed them in as well as I could have. They were no noisier on the street as the regular MM's and stopped the car just fine in every situation I had on the way there.

At the track they were very good too. This was the first time at Watkins Glen for me, but I put in a few decent, quick laps. They always stopped the car just fine and I did not experience any severe brake fade. Best part was that they wore so well. In the past, I have gone through quite a bit of MM pad (half the thickness) at Mid-Ohio after a weekend, these looked great and did not show drastic wear, might have worn only 1/4 of the material.

On the way home from the track I did notice that the brakes were starting to judder upon applying brakes. At first, I thought the rotor might have warped, but the juddering went away. I think it was some pad deposition on the rotor from the track use. A few miles and brake applications and now the car is braking a smooth as ever. This was probably due to the bed in procedure. I think if I had been better with them initially, this would not have happened. Since the issue has gone away, I am not going to worry about it.

Oh and they are also low dust, just like the regular MM's.

As always, YMMV

HTH,
Old 09-14-2004, 03:25 PM
M@rk951
Instructor

Thanx man, im DEFINATELY looking into those
Old 09-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info about Auto Value Redlyne, I have called them for parts before, and they refused to even check their computers, insisting that they do not carry any parts for Porsche's, I've always thought they were a bunch of ********. But, for that price, I might go there when my MM's wear out. Looks like I pretty much killed my pads on the track saturday, they were only about 30-40% at the start of the day. They squeal BAD whenever I really hit the brakes, although they are quiet when I'm going really easy on them...
Old 09-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very happy with my HPS Hawk pads... Not a singly sqeek and compared to anything else I have had they are the best road pads yet!

Quick Reply: Where do you guys buy your brake pads? What Brand to use