Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chatter...sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch chatter...sometimes?

I've noticed that when I'm stuck in start-and-stop traffic, using the clutch frequently, my clutch eventually starts to chatter like crazy from neutral to first until I start moving again. Then, it works flawlessly.

Is it normal for the rubber center to heat up and start freaking out in first gear, or do I have other issues (throw out bearing, etc)??
Old 09-13-2004, 12:50 AM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, if the rubber center goes, you'll feel it in a lot more than just in first.

Chatter is usually from either low friction or low clamping pressure.

If the clutch is overheating from slipping as you creep along in traffic, it will loose effectiveness and chatter. If the clutch is wearing out, it may be slipping and chattering. It's also possible that the pressure plate is not as strong as it used to be.

Clutch job. Plain and simple. Replace everything that can be replaced, it's a pain to get at.

Aaron
Old 09-13-2004, 12:55 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace: Clutch disc, pressureplate, throwout bearing, release bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal, machine the flywheel, and get new flywheelbolts, then that chatter should be gone. Sorry, these cars get expensive sometimes....
Old 09-13-2004, 11:11 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me describe the problem a little better. The clutch doesn't slip once engaged. Before engaging from stop to 1st gear, in slow traffic after about 10 neutral to first start and stops, I get a shudder like I am not giving it enough gas (but I am). Once engaged, it works fine. Also, once I drive (and it cools down?), it will work fine as well.

Do I still need a new clutch?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

no you dont need a new clutch, yet. wait till it is real bad. You can probably get a few years out of this one. you will know when it is bad.

When I dynoed my red car I was told it was slipping, and needed to be replaced. the same thing happened to dave at the same RPM. He replaced his shortly thereafter. mine had like 10k on it at the time. I used it for another year, it never slipped when driving. but since it slipped on the dyno it was supposed to be dead.... you get the idea. save your $$ for the time being.

Is my neighbor a mad man or what? Nitrus in a XKE twenty years ago (he hasnt turned 50 yet). he did an AMAF supercharging job on his jet skis. And he said it worked. He can take apart and fix anything mechanical or electrical.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

I just entered this in my "Hot Ashtray" post. I get that chattering clutch too. But I noticed recently it is only when I also have the "Hot Ashtray". I was caught in traffic today...with a cool ashtray and no chattering. But Friday it was awful in bumper to bumper, and it chattered like hell WITH the Hot Ashtray. I wonder if you have the same issue? I think it may not be the clutch at all, but the engine running ****ty at low RPM's. The cause of which may also be heating up my Cat and my ashtray?

Posiible? Any guesses what might be doing this?

Steve
Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hear ya Tom...not looking to spend $$ on a clutch right now! Maybe in 12k miles, when I need to do the belts. And Wayne was a piece of work. Bet his GF is a hottie !?

Steve--yeah, maybe it's the engine. Mine idles fine though. Could be it gets hotter, and the pressure plate or TOB get out of shape or something?

When you are in bumper to bumper...do you leave the clutch out, and the car in first...then nurse the clutch in and out? Or, do you step on the clutch to stop, put it in neutral...then step on the clutch, throw it in first...creep a few feet...then repeat?? Wonder if I'm doing it wrong?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

I try to get it into neutral with the clutch pedal up as much as possible...I don't want to burn out the throw out bearing. So I'll coast if possible, then engage first when needed. But it act's up only when I have that hot ashtray! I was in bad stuff this morning and the clutch was just fine...and I know it's not slipping (over 30 mpg) and it only has about 60,000 miles on it (I get 100,000 plus out of mine). So either the heat is effecting the clutch...or the engine is not running right...although like yours it idles fine. Friday, after being off for 15 minutes it was right back to normal! Go figure.

Steve
Old 09-13-2004, 02:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So as far as clutch wear goes, is it causing more wear to leave the clutch pedal on the floor, and bring it up and down, with the car in first?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

The problem with keeping the clutch in for long periods of time is you end up wearing out the throw out bearing...if you have to replace it you may as well do the whole clutch job! Putting it in neutral with the clutch engaged does no additional wear on the clutch, none on the throw out bearing and maybe a tiny bit more on the clutch hydraulics....but they can be worked on without removing the clutch!

Steve
Old 09-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, hot ashtray seems to scream bad Cat to me, at least that is what I have heard, maybe you have a few problems that are creating the heat, in turn creating the clutch problems....
Old 09-13-2004, 09:39 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve--Makes sense I guess. So the less time you have the pedal depressed, the better it is for the clutch? Anyone have a diagram or something to show how a clutch actually works in our car? I know all the parts...TOB, pressure plate, etc, but I can't picture how it all fits together. When I shift from first to second...

What happens?? I need an educational cartoon or something!
Old 09-14-2004, 12:41 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
I just entered this in my "Hot Ashtray" post. I get that chattering clutch too. But I noticed recently it is only when I also have the "Hot Ashtray". I was caught in traffic today...with a cool ashtray and no chattering. But Friday it was awful in bumper to bumper, and it chattered like hell WITH the Hot Ashtray. I wonder if you have the same issue? I think it may not be the clutch at all, but the engine running ****ty at low RPM's. The cause of which may also be heating up my Cat and my ashtray?

Posiible? Any guesses what might be doing this?

Steve
The heat reduces the gripping capability of the clutch. Same way that when brakes overheat the car doesn't stop as well.

The chatter is because the heating of the clutch itself and the flywheel are reducing the total friction of the clutch.

If the clutch is chattering, replace it. Period. Trying to make it last a bit more is just ****-poor maintenance. I didn't maintain my 16 year old Accord that way and I'm sure as hell not going to recommend anyone maintain a Porsche that way. Putting off maintenance is just plain stupid. Fix things when they just begin to go bad, makes the car much more enjoyable and actually prevents problems later on.

Not even a Geo Metro is deserving of that kind of owner indifference.

Aaron
Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Andy,
Aaron makes a point, but I don't think he gets to deal with the traffic conditions you experienced. I forgot about the US Open letting out right when you were passing through.

That traffic would have overheated more than the clutch of many a brand new english car. I would wait until it is either more noticeable in less demanding traffic, or the next bonus comes in.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:10 AM
who1
Advanced

Originally Posted by AndyK
Let me describe the problem a little better. The clutch doesn't slip once engaged. Before engaging from stop to 1st gear, in slow traffic after about 10 neutral to first start and stops, I get a shudder like I am not giving it enough gas (but I am). Once engaged, it works fine. Also, once I drive (and it cools down?), it will work fine as well.

Do I still need a new clutch?
Mine did a similar thing for many years, especially after it got good and warm. Finally, last year the rubber center disintegrated and then I got really bad bucking in the drivetrain on acceleration and coasting. Then I had to replace it. I'd live with it for now and save your money for the clutch when you need it.

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter...sometimes?